Options

Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I didn't have to reconfigure the tablet - everything just carried on as before.
    I thought Apps had to be reloaded and Google contacts would have to be restored etc. etc?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I thought Apps had to be reloaded and Google contacts would have to be restored etc. etc?

No, after installation it optimised all the apps on the tablet and that was it.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »

mine optimised some and reloaded some. Upgrade on a N4 with around 50 apps took around 2 hours plus around 15 updated apps. Contacts, old SMS messages, application settings all carried over no problem include a couple of work related ones which had certificates installed.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received the notification to update to Android 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi) earlier tonight. Should i do it??

Has anyone else updated theirs to this yet? Has it been ok? It's 5.0.2, so surely it should be bug free by now and won't completely ruin usability?

My main concern is freezing and catch-up tv apps not working (all channels).

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I received the notification to update to Android 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi) earlier tonight. Should i do it??

Has anyone else updated theirs to this yet? Has it been ok? It's 5.0.2, so surely it should be bug free by now and won't completely ruin usability?

Any thoughts?

Reading through the thread , it appears to be fine .
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any thoughts?

I think it's OK, but as my tablet is otherwise working fine without it, I don't think I'll bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think it's OK, but as my tablet is otherwise working fine without it, I don't think I'll bother.
    Same here. I believe in the Vintage look adage that is if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any thoughts?
    You may have to reboot a few times for it to run correctly. Mine was very laggy at first but a couple of reboots resolved it.
    There is no such thing as bug free software, only software with acceptable bugs. You may need to update a few apps from the play store or check if the developer has a temporary work round.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen this appear on a 2012 model - and been brave enough to install it?
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    I have it. Not been brave enough to install it.

My 2012 N7 suffers from irritating unresponsiveness at times now, and I'm not sure whether this would make it worse. I've tried clearing the system cache, but that didn't seem to make much difference, so I suspect a factory reset is on the cards.

Still hoping someone will come up with a decent explanation for what the problem is, and whether it can be fixed in software (ISTR reading something about the memory being dodgy).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »

I have both 2012 and 2013 models. For the 2012 model you need 5.0.2 which seems to iron our lag on the tablet. Both tablets are working fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    I have it. Not been brave enough to install it.

My 2012 N7 suffers from irritating unresponsiveness at times now, and I'm not sure whether this would make it worse. I've tried clearing the system cache, but that didn't seem to make much difference, so I suspect a factory reset is on the cards.

Still hoping someone will come up with a decent explanation for what the problem is, and whether it can be fixed in software (ISTR reading something about the memory being dodgy).

The 2013 N7 is a lot better then the 2012 version, IMO.

Mine is as sharp now, as the day I bought it in December 2013. No discernible decline in performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    The 2013 N7 is a lot better then the 2012 version, IMO.

Mine is as sharp now, as the day I bought it in December 2013. No discernible decline in performance.
    OK then. What are the advantages leaving out any security improvements? I seen the UI on YouTube and don't like it or unnecessary animations, so what's left to entice me?
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    I have both 2012 and 2013 models. For the 2012 model you need 5.0.2 which seems to iron our lag on the tablet. Both tablets are working fine.

My 2012 model was lagging before the update anyway , after the update there seemed to be a minimal improvement but its still pretty bad to the point of being almost unusable. I think that it's more the tablet wearing out than the operating system . My 2013 tablet is still very quick .
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 2012 N7 has never had any lag not now or ever and 5.0.2 is working fine and fast and no problems with catch up TV either.

May be I’m just a lucky guy.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    My 2012 model was lagging before the update anyway , after the update there seemed to be a minimal improvement but its still pretty bad to the point of being almost unusable. I think that it's more the tablet wearing out than the operating system . My 2013 tablet is still very quick .

My 2012 was fine from the update to 5.0.2. Some people have needed to do a factory reset but I have not done this so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 2012 was fine from the update to 5.0.2. Some people have needed to do a factory reset but I have not done this so far.
    Were you experiencing any problems with it before the update to 5.0.2, and did the update alter its performance in any way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you experiencing any problems with it before the update to 5.0.2, and did the update alter its performance in any way?

It was sluggish on Lollipop prior to 5.0.2 now it runs fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was sluggish on Lollipop prior to 5.0.2 now it runs fine.
    Ah, sorry. I was looking more for "sluggish on KitKat, better on 5.0.2". I don't think that's a combination I've yet heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, sorry. I was looking more for "sluggish on KitKat, better on 5.0.2". I don't think that's a combination I've yet heard.

Cant comment on that as I didnt have any performance issue on KitKat and now I dont have performance issues on Lollipop. Personally I prefer Lollipop however if you are happy with Kitkat stick with it.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The initial Lollipop bricked my N7 but the latest update to 5.0.2 has sorted it, working as normal now.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Google has now released Lollipop 5.0.2 for nexus 7 2012 version & nexus 7 2013 mobile data version.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well now I am really shocked.

Decided to do a factory reset yesterday. Had it over two years and it's never been done, so thought it was time. Backed all my stuff up, then did the deed. Was pleasantly surprised to see when it had finished that Google restored a great deal of my stuff automatically. No problems.

Spent the morning with the device, and had been thrilled at it running so sweetly. So with a quiet morning at hand I decided to manually restore the few missing apps and games.

Come to the device tonight, and WTF?? It's running like absolute dogshit. How has this happened? I don't get it. I'm not running anything questionable, nothing sideloaded or dodgy. But trying to multi-task is impossible. It's struggling with one app, but have two or three running and it is impossibly slow and impossible to use.

So I've already cleared the cache partition, I've already factory reset the device. There's too many theories and solutions for this problem on the net so it's difficult to find the cause. However I think it's simple - Google cannot have tested Lollipop properly on the 2012 Nexus 7. I read there's version 5.1 coming soon. It had better be bloody quick, and it had better be fixed.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Well now I am really shocked.

Decided to do a factory reset yesterday. Had it over two years and it's never been done, so thought it was time. Backed all my stuff up, then did the deed. Was pleasantly surprised to see when it had finished that Google restored a great deal of my stuff automatically. No problems.

Spent the morning with the device, and had been thrilled at it running so sweetly. So with a quiet morning at hand I decided to manually restore the few missing apps and games.

Come to the device tonight, and WTF?? It's running like absolute dogshit. How has this happened? I don't get it. I'm not running anything questionable, nothing sideloaded or dodgy. But trying to multi-task is impossible. It's struggling with one app, but have two or three running and it is impossibly slow and impossible to use.

So I've already cleared the cache partition, I've already factory reset the device. There's too many theories and solutions for this problem on the net so it's difficult to find the cause. However I think it's simple - Google cannot have tested Lollipop properly on the 2012 Nexus 7. I read there's version 5.1 coming soon. It had better be bloody quick, and it had better be fixed.

Seems to be fairly widespread knowledge now that Lollipop introduced a memory leak on the Nexus 7, particularly the 2012 which has not been fixed by 5.0.2. There are plenty of rumours it will be fixed by 5.1 but as usual in these things nothing is backed up by hard facts.

Of course the release date of 5.1 is also, like all Android releases, a matter for speculation to keep us all on the edge of our chairs. Sometimes, I personally think it's all rather pathetic. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the moral here is not to install the Android downloads. They're clearly not road tested, and as often as not, will bugger up your device.