best way to dry out a W580i

Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
Forum Member
My friend dropped her 3week old phone in clean water in the sink yesterday.

She took it out straight away, removed the sim, memory card and battery and placed it in the airing cupboard. Its been there up to now.

I have tried to turn it on and it does 'vibrate' for a second and the lights on the keys come on, but nothing else does, So i took it back apart and left it to dry out more.

Is there anything more i could do to help it,
it may work again but will probably not.

Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    If its only 3 weeks old, did she take out insurance? or maybe just go back to the store and say what happend and see what they can do?

Also, Maybe don't drop it in the sink in the first place?! :)
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    That isn't long enough to dry out a phone. You need to leave it in a dry warm place for several days. If it doesn't work then might be able to claim as mentioned above.
  • ChrisHayChrisHay Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    It's a bit late now, but I recommend the immediate use of a hair dryer on a cool setting. Has worked a number of times in similar circustances.
  • blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The circuit board is probably damaged (if it is, no amount of drying will cure it). If there is insurance, claim it on insurance. If there isn't...well the manufacturer's warranty will not cover water damage, so your friend may have to take it to an independent retailer to see if they can repair it at a cost. If it can't be repaired, it may unfortunately mean buying a new phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Or Your house Insurance may cover it too??
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    ChrisHay wrote: »
    It's a bit late now, but I recommend the immediate use of a hair dryer on a cool setting. Has worked a number of times in similar circustances.

I was told by a service technician not to use a hair-dryer because it will blow the water further inside where it will take longer to dry. All that's needed is a warm dry place and some patience.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Adam D wrote: »
    My friend dropped her 3week old phone in clean water in the sink yesterday.

She took it out straight away, removed the sim, memory card and battery and placed it in the airing cupboard. Its been there up to now.

I have tried to turn it on and it does 'vibrate' for a second and the lights on the keys come on, but nothing else does, So i took it back apart and left it to dry out more.

Is there anything more i could do to help it,
    it may work again but will probably not.

Any ideas?

If its of any help to you Adam my son left his mobile phone in his pocket and i put it into the washing machine.
    After a full 40 degree wash it came out the machine and we thought it would be goosed.
    I sat it on a warm radiator and after a couple of days it worked a treat.
    We didnt take the sim or battery out at all....just left it sitting on the radiator and tried it every so often to see if it was working.
    Its worth a try.
  • Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help,
    it wont be worth claiming on the insurance for only £100.

Its been set in the airing cupbaord for a few days with the battery removed and so on. It does have some life to it, It turns on, makes the noise, accepts simcards does everything, even connected it to myphoneexplorer and could access everything fine,
    The only problem is the screen, it wont come on, there is no signs of life to it, Now i have the same phone and tried my lcd in it and there is still nothing, I tried their lcd in mine and it worked fine.

So im a little stuck now,
    I have no hopes, but i am still keeping it in the airing cupboard with the screen off and the plastic backplate off too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently the water gets into the circuit boards and they gradually rust - and at some point the phone will eventually fail.

my mate dropped his down the loo, and after drying it out it seemed to work fine, only after a few months it gave up in the end.
    Forum Member
    Well its dead

Tried flashing it as suggested on another forum and it seemed to go alright, but still no signs from the screen.

Tried restoring a backup from my W580i to the 'faulty' one and now its just flashing red from the side and it wont pick up on the XS++ software.

:(

ah well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a crap phone anyway. If the keys on it hadnt snapped already - then they would of within a few weeks. I know cause I had 4 and eventually got O2 to replace it with a W910i

much better!
    Forum Member
    but thats a different case with the new metal keys they have started to put on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Drying out electronic devices for future reference:

remove all parts that can be taken off; fascia, batter cover, battery, straps etc.

Get a large tupperware dish (with lid) and fill it with ordinary dry cooking rice.

Bury the components in the rice.

Put the lid on, and leave it for about 2 days.

The rice should soak up any excess moisture.