Options

Do your kids ever come to blows?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Just interested.
Do your kids ever come to blows and if so, how often?
I have two daughters aged 9 and 7 and they get on most of the time, but bicker quite a lot and bickering will (on occasion) turn into pushing/shoving/hair pulling... I was having a chat with friends
( who both have daughters of similar ages) earlier and they both said that their girls don't get physical and just bicker verbally but no fisticuffs. So, I'm now wondering if this is normal behaviour, or if I'm in denial and most other sisters of that age are civil and argue but no fighting?
What do your kids do?
Melissa

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    We have 4 girls and yes they do come to blows, punching and flicking each other and kicking under the table. It is 9 times out of ten over bloody hair accesories, bands, grips etc.
    I ignore it unless it becomes nasty.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to argue with my sister all the time when we were younger. Now we're like best friends. I never argued with my brother though, we've always been close.

I have two female cousins (sisters, 10 months between them!) and they were always as each others throats. Physical fights too. Now they're older, they get on great.
  • Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is 5 years between me and my sister so when she was little we didn't fight. She was too little for me to hit her. But when she got a bit older we did. We came to blows a few times in my mid teens.

But as yours are nearer in age, it's perfectly normal for sisters to fight. Especially if they've got similar tempers.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to argue with my sister all the time when we were younger. Now we're like best friends. I never argued with my brother though, we've always been close.

I have two female cousins (sisters, 10 months between them!) and they were always as each others throats. Physical fights too. Now they're older, they get on great.

I had two female cousins like this too. They were about 10 and 8 at the time. They used to knock lumps out of each other. I hated going over there as I would always get told off for not breaking them up as I was slightly older.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two have come to blows on many occasion. I ignore it and tell them to sort it out between themselves unless it's a serious fight where one of them will probably end up with an injury.
    Usually takes the form of them poking each other on the back seat of the car because one has put part of their anatomy over the imaginary line demarcating their separate sides :rolleyes:

I used to do it with my sister - they'll grow out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    So we are normal then? This does happen to other people and is normal behaviour?
    What a relief!
    Melissa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think my two could get through the day if they didnt torment each other at some stage, I honestly think it passes the time for them lol
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My brother and I often fought until the day I bust his arm.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Mine never did. I wouldn't let them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »

Exactly. My younger brother used to get quite violent and although we get on fine now he was bloody well punished for biting/kicking/punching.

You need to discipline them, especially if one is more guilty of picking on the other, otherwise you'll have a whole world of resentment when they grow up if one was allowed to bully the other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I think there's a massive difference between siblings having a ruck and bullying to be honest - my kids fight sometimes, and other times they're the best of friends. Most of the time if I walk into the room and they've been fighting they'll spring apart and deny all knowledge or try to convince me it's just a 'game'.

I don't get involved unless one of them actually loses their temper - if they're bickering then I do threaten to knock their heads together, but mainly because I know that'll make them unite against me so they'll stop fighting, and also because there's nothing more annoying than the thud of footsteps as they run in and out of each other's bedrooms and the door slamming :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Exactly. My younger brother used to get quite violent and although we get on fine now he was bloody well punished for biting/kicking/punching.

You need to discipline them, especially if one is more guilty of picking on the other, otherwise you'll have a whole world of resentment when they grow up if one was allowed to bully the other.

Not necessarily. I have 2 brothers and a sister there is only 6 years between oldest and youngest. We all used to fight like cat and dog, physically and verbally. My sister came off worse a lot of the time because she was the easiest to wind up. My mum tried to discipline us but she could never work out who'd upset who and started it so we all got punished. As we got older we gradually stopped the physical stuff and used to torment each other verbally. Now we're all older none of us have any resentment for each other, we probably can't even remember 10 years on what we argued about and now we all get along fine.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my sister used to argue and fight A LOT when we were young. But we respected each other, it wasn't that we hated each other, just that we annoyed each other.

Now she is like my best friend. I can tell her anything and know she is there for me, and me there for her whenever we need it. I don't think we have spoken a cross word since we both went off to uni, over 10 years ago now.

Oddly, we both went to the same uni, her a year after me although she is older than me. It was so strange being in the year above her after I had been below her all through school, but it was great. We had our separate lives, but would often run into each other... most often in clubs drunk and would just have a good old lark about.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend and her sister were still having the occassional physical fight in their late teens! So it is perfectly normal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally normal IMO.

me and my brother used to fight all the time when we were younger. usually over something completely stupid such as watching CBBC or CITV.

We soon grew out of that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I'd say the siblings (close together in age)who don't fight when they're kids are the abnormal ones!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    My friend and her sister were still having the occassional physical fight in their late teens! So it is perfectly normal.

That's just reminded me of a family get together we had a few years back - my sister in law was bending over for some reason (no idea why probably something child related) and my husband (her brother) gave her a wedgie. Of course she turned round and whacked him and it launched into about five minutes of them tussling and literally rolling around on the floor until their dad made them stop :D

They're in their 30s so I guess you never grow out of it really :p
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »

I've got a girl and a boy (both now grown up), and there's 2 years between them. When they were very little, my daughter used to torment her brother, nothing really violent, but kicks, nips and pushes until she got a reaction. Then my boy started growing and got a lot stronger than her, and I had to haul him off instead! I think it's natural for kids to try to be a bit physical, but if I saw them doing it, I'd always stop it. They need to learn not to torment people just because they can.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I've got a girl and a boy (both now grown up), and there's 2 years between them. When they were very little, my daughter used to torment her brother, nothing really violent, but kicks, nips and pushes until she got a reaction. Then my boy started growing and got a lot stronger than her, and I had to haul him off instead! I think it's natural for kids to try to be a bit physical, but if I saw them doing it, I'd always stop it. They need to learn not to torment people just because they can.

Same here. My daughter is 2 years older than my son, but it wasn't many years before my son was the bigger of the two. Their dad had told my son he must never, ever hit a girl under any circumstances. This meant my daughter thought she had carte blanche to beat her brother up. He tried spitting at her in retaliation, but of course that wasn't on. Eventually I told him that if she hit him first, he could hit her back.

He only had to hit back once. She never did it again.