Options

I'm afraid to say it, but the iPhone 4G looks a good phone.

Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After slagging off the last few generations of iPhone for their lack of multitasking, crap camera, no flash etc I'm afraid to say that the iPhone 4G does look like a nice phone (a bit on the expensive side though compared to other phones in the same league).

Comments

• Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting because most tech bloggers and commentators have found it to be a disappointing upgrade from the 3GS... will be interesting to see how what the reaction is once people finally get their hands on it.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Interesting because most tech bloggers and commentators have found it to be a disappointing upgrade from the 3GS... will be interesting to see how what the reaction is once people finally get their hands on it.

Should have said that my opinion was just from the specs, as it has a lot of things that were missing on the last iPhones + other very good spec technology.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? I think its a great upgrade from the 3GS. Engadget also seemed to like it.

Im with the OP, I slagged the iPhone off for ages but quite liked it and got myself a 3G. Still not fully impressed but I got it cheap.

The iPhone 4 is still expensive and is what the iPhone should heve been last year at least!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Really? I think its a great upgrade from the 3GS. Engadget also seemed to like it.

Im with the OP, I slagged the iPhone off for ages but quite liked it and got myself a 3G. Still not fully impressed but I got it cheap.

The iPhone 4 is still expensive and is what the iPhone should heve been last year at least!

i guess some commentators were expecting more... as one put it.. "its more an evolution, than a revolution"...

the multitasking and various other upgrades are available on the 3GS through the OS upgrade. the video chat is limited to wireless connections and the display upgrade, i suppose they thought, looks very good but is it really that useful...?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i guess some commentators were expecting more... as one put it.. "its more an evolution, than a revolution"...

the multitasking and various other upgrades are available on the 3GS through the OS upgrade. the video chat is limited to wireless connections and the display upgrade, i suppose they thought, looks very good but is it really that useful...?

Definately agree with that statement. Nothing on the iPhone 4 sticks out in the world of mobile phones. One or more of the features can be found plenty of smartphones which have been out for a while.
  • Options
    davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing putting me off the iPhone 4 is the taller phone yet the same screen size. With the other iPhones the screen IS the phone, yet with the iPhone 4 it looks more like the screen is "part" of the phone.

I hope the next one will either be a smaller phone or a bigger screen (hopefully 16:9 but i doubt that!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member

Got any links to those reviews?

Is there any phone out there is revolutionary?
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Definately agree with that statement. Nothing on the iPhone 4 sticks out in the world of mobile phones. One or more of the features can be found plenty of smartphones which have been out for a while.

Having a display that has a higher DPI than any other phone on the market isn't a feature that sticks out? Really? It's not something you fail to notice when looking at the screen, unless you have really bad eyesight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    KAC wrote: »
    Got any links to those reviews?

Is there any phone out there is revolutionary?

Having a display that has a higher DPI than any other phone on the market isn't a feature that sticks out? Really? It's not something you fail to notice when looking at the screen, unless you have really bad eyesight.

Have you actually used the existing iPhone/iPod touch? The screen on those is already around 165dpi resolution, which is sufficiently high for most normal usage. A bit higher would be nice to make text look smoother, but it is good enough for most purposes.

The iPhone 4 screen has 330dpi resolution (13 pixels per millimeter) which is so high that even with very good vision, you're going to have to hold it closer to your face than normal to begin to make out individual pixels. The so-called 'Retina' display isn't a bad thing by any means, but it is overkill in terms of pixel density, and the only reson it was chosen has to be because it allows all existing iPhone apps to be pixel-doubled to fit the screen.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Hmmm. Well the box looks nice.

Queued - even though I said I wasn't going to - and managed to get a 32gb.

Then had to work and go to a concert on Thursday evening. Friday was in work early, and had friends round on Friday night.

So, here we are, Saturday morning, waiting for a delivery of bookcases. Can't set up phone as I wouldn't hear doorbell from where the computer is. So, the iPhone is still in its box, shrink-wrapped, is this a record?

Perhaps this is a new thing - holding off the pleasure of opening the box for as long as possible.

Tantric iPhoning.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Tantric iPhoning.

Haha :D
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After slagging off the last few generations of iPhone for their lack of multitasking, crap camera, no flash etc I'm afraid to say that the iPhone 4G does look like a nice phone (a bit on the expensive side though compared to other phones in the same league).

Agreed. I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a Desire and they fixed the antenna issue.
  • Options
    LovetatsLovetats Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then had to work and go to a concert on Thursday evening. Friday was in work early, and had friends round on Friday night.

So, here we are, Saturday morning, waiting for a delivery of bookcases. Can't set up phone as I wouldn't hear doorbell from where the computer is. So, the iPhone is still in its box, shrink-wrapped, is this a record?

Perhaps this is a new thing - holding off the pleasure of opening the box for as long as possible.

Tantric iPhoning.

I admire your restraint!

I can't stop playing with mine! :D
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid to say it but did we really need another thread. Do we have any mods round here to merge these.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    What is this iPhone 4G of which you speak?
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got any links would like to read them as the Engadget review said it was the best smart phone on the market. I have upgraded from a 3G and think it is awesome the screen is just beautiful.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tantric iPhoning.
    Your self control is admirable :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    Got any links would like to read them as the Engadget review said it was the best smart phone on the market. I have upgraded from a 3G and think it is awesome the screen is just beautiful.

there are plenty of reviews from the WWDC stating they were disappointed at the lack of any 'big wow' from the new phone.. just google them.

of course it beats every smartphone out there right now and i'm totally jealous of those who have one.
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it does look dam good, I got to touch one earlier today unfortunately the person I was with can not see what it so good about iPhones so I could not have a longer play. All I can say is it felt and looked dam dam good. Not sure I will be upgrading from my 3GS iphone, as £500 is a lot of money for what seems to be a better screen, that face calling crap and a better camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, i'm not upgrading... there's nothing thats a real must in the new phone.... the OS4 upgrades in the 3GS offer enough to not make it worthwhile at that price!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Have you actually used the existing iPhone/iPod touch? The screen on those is already around 165dpi resolution, which is sufficiently high for most normal usage. A bit higher would be nice to make text look smoother, but it is good enough for most purposes.

The iPhone 4 screen has 330dpi resolution (13 pixels per millimeter) which is so high that even with very good vision, you're going to have to hold it closer to your face than normal to begin to make out individual pixels. The so-called 'Retina' display isn't a bad thing by any means, but it is overkill in terms of pixel density, and the only reson it was chosen has to be because it allows all existing iPhone apps to be pixel-doubled to fit the screen.

From the Engadget review:
    Not only are the colors and blacks deep and rich, but you simply cannot see pixels on the screen. Okay, if you take some macro camera shots or get right up in there you can make them out, but in general use, the screen is free of jaggies of any type, unless you're looking at a last-gen app that hasn't had its artwork updated. Text rendering is incredibly clear and clean -- webpages that would be line after line of pixelated content when zoomed out on a 3GS (say, Engadget or the New York Times) are completely readable on the iPhone 4, though the text is beyond microscopic. It's impressive, and doubly impressive when you look at higher-res graphics or watch 720p video on the phone -- the detail in moving images is particularly striking. What's nice is that most apps with text in them will benefit from this tech whether or not they've been updated, as long as they're using Apple's font rendering. Text in the Engadget app, for instance, looks cleaner, clearer, and much easier to read on the new iPhone.

Doesn't sound like overkill to me.
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid to say it, but the iPhone 4G looks a good phone.
    Sorry, but comments like this bug me a bit - if you don't like a product for whatever reason that's fine, but don't be afraid to admit it's plus points. The iPhone is, and has been for some time, a very good smartphone. It's also stupidly, artificially restricted from my point of view and that alone is reason enough that I'll never buy one.

I can happily acknowledge that it does what it does very well, it's just that what it does isn't what I want so I won't be buying one. Or any other iThing.
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are plenty of reviews from the WWDC stating they were disappointed at the lack of any 'big wow' from the new phone.. just google them.

Those are not reviews they are hands on with a phone for a few minutes, again Engadgets stuff at WWDC was very positive.

What wow factor are people wanting from a phone? The speed of the thing is incredible, I am amazed going from a 3G to this it really is something else, you press an icon and the app launches no waiting no lag.

The screen is something else it really is beautiful, before I thought the HD2 was the pinnacle of screen beauty but there is a new contender.

The HD recording is stunning and the fact that you can edit it on the device which is something most PCs couldn't do just 10 years ago and now you can edit them on a mobile?

The phone improves on the previous models in every way.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Well, what a frustrating weekend.

Bookcases didn't get delivered and while I was hunting the 'net for an address or phone number to complain to.....

The internet went down - faulty router, apparently. I SHOULD have a shiny new one in the post to arrive tomorrow (Tuesday)

Then, I may get the chance to set it up. So, Monday, iPhone still in its box.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its still not quite full multi tasking though, and only with suitably re-written applications.

It doesn't have a flash, it has an LED light.

But yes, it does look good (similar overall style to some of the N series - primarily black, metal sides - although the N's were plastic edges?).
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Its still not quite full multi tasking though, and only with suitably re-written applications.

It doesn't have a flash, it has an LED light.

But yes, it does look good (similar overall style to some of the N series - primarily black, metal sides - although the N's were plastic edges?).

Yes the applications have to be rewritten but they are far more power efficient than similar apps on a standard multitasking device. Saving the applications state upon close us far better than having it eating up processes. I disagree that it looks like a nokia. The feeling of it is far more solid due to the use of glass and steel and it's far thinner than any nokia smartphone.