The inbetweeners school bully

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After watching the drugs episode on demand it struck me how odd it looked.

A close up of the school bully clearly showed a guy in his 20s not a teen boy.:rolleyes:

Why do they hire people in there 20s to play teens when plenty of teen actors are available?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    After watching the drugs episode on demand it struck me how odd it looked.

A close up of the school bully clearly showed a guy in his 20s not a teen boy.:rolleyes:

Why do they hire people in there 20s to play teens when plenty of teen actors are available?

I think that all of the main Inbetweeners are in their mid twenties though.

Can't say why they hired him specifically(the bully), but don't Will and Simon write it in real life, so I suppose its fair enough that they are gonna cast themselves in what the wrote.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's filled with older actors playing younger roles, Simon Bird (Will) is around 26 or something, playing someone 8-9 years younger...
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Yes, that close up did betray the actors true age; clearly not a teenager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I don't even get why it bothers people so much. The main boys all look pretty similar to the ages they are playing imo, and Donovan isn't in it much anyway, so it doesn't matter.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the season 1 extras he seems really camp as well which made me laugh since he plays such a convincing thug, it's weird when you see him off-set!
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will and Simon are played by actors who both aged 26, so it would probably look odd if they had a 17 year old bullying them.

Did you ever see Please Sir? They pupils were supposed to be about 15 but must have all been in their thirties (and looking it) by the final series.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Helenaka wrote: »
    I think that all of the main Inbetweeners are in their mid twenties though.

Can't say why they hired him specifically(the bully), but don't Will and Simon write it in real life, so I suppose its fair enough that they are gonna cast themselves in what the wrote.

Nope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the second time this week (once on here, once in real life) that I've heard the myth about Will and Simon writing the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Will and Simon are played by actors who both aged 26, so it would probably look odd if they had a 17 year old bullying them.

Did you ever see Please Sir? They pupils were supposed to be about 15 but must have all been in their thirties (and looking it) by the final series.

How old was that "12 year old" who was part of the 'northwood boys' (the show takes place in North West London) to beat up simon
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've done a script for the film. That might be where it came from.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the cast is 27/28 now
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looked the part in series 1... similar age, short hair, attitude.

But now he's grown his hair and Gels it all back like he's in the 60s and speaks like Ali G.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    On the season 1 extras he seems really camp as well which made me laugh since he plays such a convincing thug, it's weird when you see him off-set!
    I wouldn't have said "camp" exactly, but his voice was softer and his accent much more posh than the character's. I agree, it's good acting as he is a very convincing bully.
  • bitchpleasebitchplease Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    no1currrr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it's not as bad as Grease, Stockard Channing was 34 and playing a high-school student :D
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Labour laws regarding the number of hours under 18s can work mean they are more likely to hire people in their 20s. That plus, I'm not sure teen actors would come across as funny as their 20-something counterparts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I think it's great casting. there was always one lad at school who looked like a man. ours was called Michael. he was shaving when he was 11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Simon (willl) is 26
    Joe (simon) is also 26
    James (Jay) is 23
    and Blake (neil) is 25
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners

It's written by Damon Beesley & Iain Morris.
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour laws regarding the number of hours under 18s can work mean they are more likely to hire people in their 20s. That plus, I'm not sure teen actors would come across as funny as their 20-something counterparts.

Didn't stop grange hill.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works better that their older than the characters they play anyway..its supposed to and it does..funniest prog on tv right now..im a new fan so i have a lot of catching up to do.:)
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could've got a 20 something actor who didn't have male pattern baldness.