EE: Dot lonely scenes ??

alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
Forum Member
2 eps in a row now and i'm sure there been other scenes this last month, will xmas day be her last?

Or is it that they have no other ideas for her maby it's Jim that passes then she truly will be alone.

Comments

• user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 eps in a row now and i'm sure there been other scenes this last month, will xmas day be her last?

Or is it that they have no other ideas for her maby it's Jim that passes then she truly will be alone.
    That or she developes depression and turns to drink and starts neglecting Jim :eek: I thought it was strange that she was ignoring him and he seems more of a burden to her now. I hope not as for all her lecturing, she has a good heart underneath it.
  • Sarah MichelleSarah Michelle Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we're just meant to believe she is genuinely lonely now.

Her lodgers have come and gone, Bradley died, and Liz went back to Spain. Dotty left with her mum, and Dot is still coming to terms with it. Jim is reliant on her, but I guess they can't 100% enjoy themselves.

It's a shame they haven't built up her relationship with Grace anymore, and I quite liked her with Julie on Monday. We could also see that she was really looking forward to looking after George tonight aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think its just to show her loneliness as she hasn't really got may real friend and also the effect of being Jim's sole carer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That or she developes depression and turns to drink and starts neglecting Jim :eek: I thought it was strange that she was ignoring him and he seems more of a burden to her now. I hope not as for all her lecturing, she has a good heart underneath it.

I don't think that it's going to go down that route personally. She's just lonely and in need of a friend or someone to talk to. She loves Jim dearly, but I think she's finding it difficult on her own, as she does everything she can for Jim, but then there is no one then to be there for her and help her when she needs it.

I really felt for her tonight when she was getting ready to look after baby George only to find out that Heather had changed her mind. Personally, I think it's nice that they're covering this on the show because it happens all the time, and the people around her don't seem to notice because she appears to hide it well until she is safely behind closed doors.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found those Dot scenes eerie.

smoking a cigarette in the kitchen while saying nothing for 15 seconds spooked me out a bit.

I dunno where EE are going with this, maybe they are trying to say she's lonely or she's sick of life?

I guess we will just have to watch this space and find out.........
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    It's a shame they haven't built up her relationship with Grace anymore,
    I thought that, too. Plus, I'm pretty sure they did the whole loneliness thing with Grace as well, which is why Dot let her help out. These two really should be friends, as they have a lot in common. But, Grace has been MIA for months.

I like the idea that they're touching on Dot being more Jim's carer than his wife, and how hard that is. You can understand why Dot is lonely.
  • nickyislady_tnickyislady_t Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a thought but I have a feeling that she'll ask Julie to move in with her (Billy's friend)?
    just a thought
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a thought but I have a feeling that she'll ask Julie to move in with her (Billy's friend)?
    just a thought

Yes, that's the feeling I got as well. Maybe that's why this scene was included just after Dot's interaction with Julie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the scenes very sad :( I feel sorry for Dot, it was like Max talking to Lauren about how Dot must feel when she's on her own at nights. :\ I certainly don't want to end up feeling lonely in my old age.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Those scenes were great in my opinion, so simple yet effective and made me think of the other older people in the community who might be feeling lonely especially in this horrible weather.

Dot still has Jim and she obviously loves him but he's not the same as he was and she must miss that side of him terribly. Bradley's death must still be very painful for her, she also lost Dotty and for a while she had Liz who has also gone so it's a lot to cope with in less than a year.

I think it's time she had a catch up with Ian, they're friends but don't have many scenes any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    very very sad scene imo.....obviously looking forwards to looking after george :cry:

was a bit freaked out at the scene of her lit cig,...whilst eating, then smoking the second she finished the fish. again so sad and lonely :(
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they do this every so often with dot, moping about lonley no mates, then all of a sudden when people realise they all turn up on masse to show "just how loved she is".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a thought
    Bambi_Boo wrote: »
    Yes, that's the feeling I got as well. Maybe that's why this scene was included just after Dot's interaction with Julie.

That's exactly what I thought. Julie should leave the fleas and move in with Dot! I loved how Dot was appalled at Mo's behaviour when she revealed the ASBO tag on Julie's leg: she quoted the bible, then threw her out :)

"Get out of my laundrette" ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be very difficult to write storylines for the elderly, and characters in their mid 70's, early 80's.

I mean what can you do with them? - it's not like a group of them go to ibiza, or 1 of them gets hooked on drugs, or one gets pregnant. There also too old to get proper jobs and have probably retired aswell.

so, you know, theres not an awful lot you can do with elderly characters in soaps - it's tricky.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way EastEnders are highlighting how lonely it can be when you are a carer for someone, and can't easily mix with other people for company, I would like to see a friendship develop between Julie and Dot and for Julie to live with her, I don't want to see Julie's character simply to be a side kick for Billy
  • Wish1672Wish1672 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    When watching it last night, I said to the wife. I thought they were setting her up for a christmas death story :-(
  • MandyBudMandyBud Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    It's to give June Brown some much needed airtime. She starts growing close to the choir leader Edward, according to the latest Press Office spoilers.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite moved by those scenes.

I'd like to see Dot and Grace become close companions. If anything, it would help bring Grace into the soap more, because at present she's not really involved and doesn't serve much of a purpose. She's got the potential to be a decent character.

And I would love Fatboy to become a lodger at Dot and Jim's. There's an unexpected but rather sweet bond there.

This is where I think Eastenders has become weak. Relationships aren't developed enough. They are abandoned (often in favour of what are considered 'bigger characters') just as they're getting going and becoming interesting.

Take this business with Phil and Shirley, for example. It's a bit random and silly. And they've already had plenty of big storylines recently. I'd rather see the likes of Grace, Mercy, Fatboy, Dot and Jim used more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    think i must of missed it-who is grace?
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    They are building up to the story where Denise asks Dot to accompany her to Lucas's prison to visit him, Dot keeps going back to see him as shes lonely and so Lucas brainwashes her into going on a killing spree to finish his work.

Is fatboy still lodging with Dot? I'm sure someone is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    It must be very difficult to write storylines for the elderly, and characters in their mid 70's, early 80's.

I mean what can you do with them? - it's not like a group of them go to ibiza, or 1 of them gets hooked on drugs, or one gets pregnant. There also too old to get proper jobs and have probably retired aswell.

so, you know, theres not an awful lot you can do with elderly characters in soaps - it's tricky.
    Thanks for that. Now, I've got an image in my head of Dot break dancing and trying to rap in a club :cool::D

As for Pregnancy, there's still a chance with Jack Branning around.......;)
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be good to go down the depression mode, neglecting Jim too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Dot down in the dumps because she thinks Nigel's dead, or he's moved away somewhere?

because the look on Dot's face, when Masood told her, she had no post - and she said something 'my friend Nigel usually writes to me this time of year'

It's probably nothing to do with Nigel - but outside possibility?
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    They are building up to the story where Denise asks Dot to accompany her to Lucas's prison to visit him, Dot keeps going back to see him as shes lonely and so Lucas brainwashes her into going on a killing spree to finish his work.

Excellent idea! She should be a sniper with a rifle and a long-distance telescopic view. She could go to the top of a nearby tower-block and shoot random people in the square.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Nice to see some realism, Dot's bound to feel lonely. Most people she's cared about from her grandson Ashley to Dennis have either died or moved on, that house has usually been full.