Options

Everyone is buying petrol today. Will prices just keep going up forever?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    but they do an awful lot of miles which mean they use loads of fuel which means those distant sojourns abroad will become very expensive.

Not really.

Say there are 400 people on a Jumbo Jet, which is travelling 4,000 miles.

That means it is travelling 10 miles, for each passenger.

That'd be like a fully occupied Ford Fiesta, doing 50 miles.

It would certainly be more economical, to use a Jumbo Jet to fly 400 people from London to Glasgow, than to use 80 Ford Fiestas.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice one Bedsit. It makes sense. Forget Blackpool :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was discussing the price of petrol going up with a friend earlier. She's a bit ditzy but I love her for the stuff she comes out with. She said, "I don't know what everyone is complaining about. The price never goes up for me. I spend £40 everytime I fill up and no more." Oh dear. I didn't have the heart to explain it to her.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is one possibility that I'm aware of.

Not everyone will be able to do it but, if enough do, it should have an effect.

Rather than filling up your vehicle every so often, make sure you have as much in your tank as you're happy with and then make more frequent calls at petrol stations only putting in about £5 worth at a time.

If enough people do it it should lead to overstocks and what's the usual way of getting rid of overstocks?

It wouldn't work though. The majority of the price is duty and tax which would not change, and all that would happen would be a very temporary downturn in demand which would quickly revert to normal, as you are not advocating any attempt to reduce overall consumption. Petrol isn't highly perishable as far as I'm aware, and retailers work on extremely thin margins. If anything they might have to put prices up to cover the cost of processing a greater number of smaller payments.
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People could walk more.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    I can see more people buying Cars with more miles per gallon over the next few years.

Cars like the Smart Car which sips petrol rather than gulping it.

Fuel economy for the average motorist is now more important than ever in their buying decision.
    I do about 12,000 miles a year in my diesel.

Dec 08.Cost 97.9 ppl.Annual fuel bill was £860.29.

Dec 09.Cost 108.9 ppl.Annual fuel bill was £956.29.

Dec 10.Cost 127.9 ppl.Annual fuel bill was £1,123.87.

Throw in no pay rise for 2 years and everything else going up.I guess my standard of living is falling all the time.:(
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oil will eventually run out - it took millions of years to create. don't ya know - so electric or solar powered cars will probably be the future.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Throw in no pay rise for 2 years and everything else going up.I guess my standard of living is falling all the time.:(

Yeah same here and not expecting any better next year. I now use a bicycle for work and local stuff and only use the car for distance and when the weathers crap.
    It's a sign of the times that the number of bikes in the racks at work has increased by at least 100% this year. Some of the bikes are worth more than some of the cars.
    There's a lot of diesel cars turning up as well. I'm told the Polo diesel is getting about 75+ MPG commuting.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Glaston wrote: »
    People could walk more.

In certain circumstances, yes, but people are in such a hurry these days, with tight deadlines.
    Walking takes time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Yeah same here and not expecting any better next year. I now use a bicycle for work and local stuff and only use the car for distance and when the weathers crap.
    It's a sign of the times that the number of bikes in the racks at work has increased by at least 100% this year. Some of the bikes are worth more than some of the cars.
    There's a lot of diesel cars turning up as well. I'm told the Polo diesel is getting about 75+ MPG commuting.

I'd use my bike for work but it's way too far away.No viable public transport either.
    Another tough year ahead for most.Keeping hold of your job is uppermost in most peoples New Year Wishes.
    VW are like most manufacturers these days.It's a race to get the most out of every gallon.It's such an important selling point these days,along with low emissions and the low road tax that comes with it.The Germans seem to be at the cutting edge of the manufacturers fuel economy war.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    It wouldn't work though. The majority of the price is duty and tax which would not change, and all that would happen would be a very temporary downturn in demand which would quickly revert to normal, as you are not advocating any attempt to reduce overall consumption. Petrol isn't highly perishable as far as I'm aware, and retailers work on extremely thin margins. If anything they might have to put prices up to cover the cost of processing a greater number of smaller payments.

Perhaps.

I don't entirely agree/disagree but I understand your point.

What would you suggest?
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Just a reminder that US petrol has been stabilised around the $3.13 per US Gal. for 3-4 years now.

The Chevron near my house is currently at $2.83/gal. That's 48p/liter for you guys.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps.

I don't entirely agree/disagree but I understand your point.

What would you suggest?

I'd suggest you get used to it. Petrol is far more likely to up than down - the oil price is likely to stay firm (and there are some commentators who believe it could go much higher in the coming year) and the government is not likely to ease the tax burden as fuel duty is such an easy way of bringing in very substantial amounts of revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    The Chevron near my house is currently at $2.83/gal. That's 48p/liter for you guys.

:( That's how it should be over here.How i'd love to drive a Mad Max style' V8 Interceptor'.To be able to say 'to hell with fuel economy'.
    I would be 'The Nightrider'.When you looked up at the night sky,you would remember my name!.