Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Susie, I was after the Facebook link with the review of the book. Thanks anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read about four chapters of Practice Makes Perfect and found it boring. The book is well written, although the writer seems obsessed with punctuation. An over abundance of semicolons and colons is distracting. The problem is that the author does not understand Martin. His Martin is too observant about and interested in people. All of the characters just seem a little off. Some crucial elements were also changed for no apparent reason. I thought the book would expand the storylines, but it recycles them and not in a good way

Here is a four-page excerpt from the publisher of Practice makes Perfect that they touted on Twitter:

http://www.eburypublishing.co.uk/docs/halo-asset-manager/files/Doc%20Martin%20–%20Practice%20makes%20Perfect%20Extract.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Susie, I was after the Facebook link with the review of the book. Thanks anyway.

cc.cookie, it was just a comment from an individual - buried in one of the hundreds of threads - who was the first person who claimed to have read the book. I don't think this prompted a huge discussion as it seems a couple of days ago hardly anyone else had access to a copy.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not read the DM paperback book but I can't see how this author can capture the characters as our incredible fan fiction writers have over the past years - I am spoiled! I have read so many wonderful stories, printed out quite a few to casually go back to re-read. We have a feast of choices. I know nothing about this author so perhaps BP checked out his background and gave him the go-ahead for a series of books. I am looking forward to many more new fan fiction stories once S6 is shown on the telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the excerpt and don't understand why things we've already seen are being rehashed, but with some details changed. :confused::confused: I don't understand the point. Maybe it will change as the book goes on.

The second book, coming in November, I think, will have to be different and at least somewhat "new" since it's set at Christmas, something we've never seen in the episodes.

Oh, well. I've got both books ordered and the first one has been shipped, so I'll read them. I haven't been expecting great things from these books (I've been disappointed before when reading books based on a favorite show) so I'll survive if they're lousy.

Oh, btw, cookie, there was no real review at facebook. It was just a comment by someone in the UK who was one of the first to receive it. She wasn't very pleased with it.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, folks

I wasn't trying to cast any aspersions on the folks here, the forum, or what we talk about. I simply said I think oftentimes our analyses go beyond what the producers, writers, and director intended. The few talks I've had with some of those folks confirm this. But it's a good thing viewers read things into the art. I think it means the art is successful. And I like art when it evokes conflicting messages. For instance, Andres Serrano's Piss Christ. Very beautiful at first to view this crucifix in a glass container of amber liquid, but then you learn the liquid is urine. Many layers of analysis come from that on many levels. Is it a paen to Christ, a derogatory take on religion, a statement of how the world treated the son of God, of just a beautiful image?

Oh, I agree. I think it's obvious we go beyond what the folks involved in the show intend at times. Definitely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    NewPark, yes, you're so right about the scripts and production and other actors. Yes, yes, yes. There's little out there that reaches the heights of DM.

Literally And figuratively! Har har. Sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I read the excerpt and don't understand why things we've already seen are being rehashed, but with some details changed. :confused::confused: I don't understand the point. Maybe it will change as the book goes on.

The second book, coming in November, I think, will have to be different and at least somewhat "new" since it's set at Christmas, something we've never seen in the episodes.

Oh, well. I've got both books ordered and the first one has been shipped, so I'll read them. I haven't been expecting great things from these books (I've been disappointed before when reading books based on a favorite show) so I'll survive if they're lousy.

Oh, btw, cookie, there was no real review at facebook. It was just a comment by someone in the UK who was one of the first to receive it. She wasn't very pleased with it.

Thanks Biff. I think someone said the second book is based on the Christmas special with Terry - LGs father.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie, it was just a comment from an individual - buried in one of the hundreds of threads - who was the first person who claimed to have read the book. I don't think this prompted a huge discussion as it seems a couple of days ago hardly anyone else had access to a copy.

It was me who posted a review. I had it sent by Amazon to my home address the day it came out. That's how I got the copy. I read it in a day. It took me 9 hours and I had work that day too.

Yes I was disappointing. It is based during the 1st series, I thought it was going to be based in between the episodes or set before the 1st series and we see him In London. But nope. it was like the author has never seen the TV show. DM was very...poetic in his view of life... which is odd. Scenes that are in the TV show are also in the book, but different - annoyingly. It's like he wanted to write his OWN version of series 1. The second book looks more promising as we have never seen Port Wenn in the winter, so this will be all new.

It wouldn't be so bad if most of the references to the bits in the TV show were the same in the book, but people say different things, and people DO different things. For example in the first chapter it says DM is on the train to Port Wenn, and that's when he sees Louisa... As we all know it was a plane. Why change that? Also the final chapter has them in the taxi home, firstly that Doctor Pitts isn't even mentioned nor is he the surgeon who sorts out Peter. So why write him out? And in the taxi on the way back DM asks to sit in the front! It also says Louisa only kissed him, but we know he then kissed her. It is very strange how he has written his own version. Some of the timeline is all over the place too. It's all jumpy, he says things and you think.... that hasn't happened yet! Some bits are good though, like how he shows DM and LG thinking of eachother.

It IS a good read, but I wouldn't take it as cannon. I have read better fanfiction.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I wonder if this means Caroline Catz will leave the show after this series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is bizarre that he told that spoiler. He just gave away the ending. What was the point of doing that?
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    That is bizarre that he told that spoiler. He just gave away the ending. What was the point of doing that?
    What ending? The last paragraph or so? I hope he was just teasing. I think without Caroline there IS no show. I think he was just trying to keep suspense if there was talk of another series. We know Louisa... as least I thin we now Louisa doesn't die or anything. We can just see them with a toddler and she becomes pregnant again and has a girl in series 7. I mean a toddler is funny enough, and to see him involved in a pregnancy would be fun. There... that should be series 7. haha. MC says things all the time he shouldn't say and mean. He was saying this was the last series, and now he's saying this... in 2 years time when they do the next one or so. He will change is tune. Hopefully
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Martin says that they can't do a happy ending, but personally I don't think there could be an absolutely awful ending because it is quite a light-hearted show. He's just teasing us ;)They get married (aawww) so that's enough for me :) MC really loves DM, a bit like us lol, I don't think he's in any rush to end it and I don't see why ITV would be also. Also, they would NEVER do a series without Caroline Catz IMO, her character is just as 'big' as DM. It would be like bread without butter.....or Tom without Jerry haha!

2 days & 3 hours!! :D:D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. I have a feeling that he did just give away the ending and it isn't an upbeat one -- in fact, it is one which would be very disappointing on a number of fronts. A complete turn-off for me, in fact. However, I know I'm jumping to conclusions -- but channeling SimplyRed (a former contributor here) I just don't trust BP not to throw a curve at us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was me who posted a review. I had it sent by Amazon to my home address the day it came out. That's how I got the copy. I read it in a day. It took me 9 hours and I had work that day too.

Yes I was disappointing. It is based during the 1st series, I thought it was going to be based in between the episodes or set before the 1st series and we see him In London. But nope. it was like the author has never seen the TV show. DM was very...poetic in his view of life... which is odd. Scenes that are in the TV show are also in the book, but different - annoyingly. It's like he wanted to write his OWN version of series 1. The second book looks more promising as we have never seen Port Wenn in the winter, so this will be all new.

It wouldn't be so bad if most of the references to the bits in the TV show were the same in the book, but people say different things, and people DO different things. For example in the first chapter it says DM is on the train to Port Wenn, and that's when he sees Louisa... As we all know it was a plane. Why change that? Also the final chapter has them in the taxi home, firstly that Doctor Pitts isn't even mentioned nor is he the surgeon who sorts out Peter. So why write him out? And in the taxi on the way back DM asks to sit in the front! It also says Louisa only kissed him, but we know he then kissed her. It is very strange how he has written his own version. Some of the timeline is all over the place too. It's all jumpy, he says things and you think.... that hasn't happened yet! Some bits are good though, like how he shows DM and LG thinking of eachother.

It IS a good read, but I wouldn't take it as cannon. I have read better fanfiction.

Almost like fanfic, but not as good, eh? Well, then, I'll write my own... :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I
    can't seem to bring up the site posted by Connie - just what did the article say. I found a recent one on express.co.uk in which MC states "It seems unthinkable ITV wouldn't recommission a series so popular, but the bad news is Martin doesn't foresee a happy ending for Louisa and the doc.". . .Is this the spoiler? I think I handle a breakup (temporary, of course,) at the end of S6, but to have CC written out - NO:eek:
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I
    can't seem to bring up the site posted by Connie - just what did the article say. I found a recent one on express.co.uk in which MC states "It seems unthinkable ITV wouldn't recommission a series so popular, but the bad news is Martin doesn't foresee a happy ending for Louisa and the doc.". . .Is this the spoiler? I think I handle a breakup (temporary, of course,) at the end of S6, but to have CC written out - NO:eek:
    Yes, that is the spoiler. Why on earth he would give away an ending like that, I do not know. However, forewarned is forearmed, as they say. I don't think Louisa dies, but if they break up this time, I think it will be permanently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I wonder if this means Caroline Catz will leave the show after this series.
    Sounds ominous. If after all this they end up split for good, disapointment will not be a strong enough word for what I feel.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [[/SPOILER]

They'd manage if you died...oh no...foreshadowing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    [[/SPOILER]

They'd manage if you died...oh no...foreshadowing?
    Oh God. I hope this is one of those times we are reading too much into the coincidences.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Almost like fanfic, but not as good, eh? Well, then, I'll write my own... :)

We were hoping you would say that... Now, on you go, mush to the typewriter!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Everything is changeable. Martin Clunes was let out on his own again."
    Just keep repeating. And breath.....

PS. I think MC is a master at creating a stir. It's the way he uses his words. Double, triple, quadruple entendres, anyone?
    Forum Member
    About that article....

We know he has a breakdown, and we know it puts pressure on the relationship. We also know Louisa goes off on a plane or something like that. So perhaps they have a massive argument and have a break. Perhaps she is not going abroad but to London for the weekend or something. But it is left like they are serious about this break. Then he goes and gets her, saves her and visits her everyday she is in hospital (we know he visits her twice over two days) and takes her home... The things is people I have done some PI work of sorts. I might be wrong but...
    The suit we saw him wear when he is with LG at the hospital, is the same suit we see him in and about the village... and at the school sports day with her. It was said that the sports day was in the final episode. Perhaps LE wanted to make an appearance at the school to stop staff and pupils worrying and he has gone with her to insure she is alright. She might have spent a week or so at the hospital but there were pictures of him wearing 3 suits in the hospital. (one taking her in and two on the wards). I don't think she dies, as we know she is on the wards after and then at the school. I think he is teasing us, we know they argue a lot we know she goes away. People at the airport they were filming said MC was on a plane filming as it was in a hanger. So he might have got on the plane to grab LE off. Who knows. I don't think they break up. I think at her side in the hospital he breaksdown and explains everything he is feeling.
This discussion has been closed.