EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    It's a National thing FGS!

We aren't all sheep
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why celebrate or remember anything in public ? Weddings, christenings, birthday parties, funerals, You were complaining a while ago that nobody could make it to your birthday party. Well perhaps they were thinking about you in the privacy of their own home and didn't feel it was necessary to actually show you.

It wasn't a party
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    Do you ever think of others or is it just me me, did you have family that went out to fight for your freedom, so sad really.:(:(:(:(>:(

i am doing it but i have no problem with those who have the freedom not to, no one should be pounced on because they don't want to

(btw yes i am on my laptop so that is the only light i have on)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We aren't all sheep

More wholly inappropriate rudeness.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a party

Well whatever it was, the principle is there. You weren't happy that they were not there to share with you and show you how much they cared for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More wholly inappropriate rudeness.

Not at all
    Well whatever it was, the principle is there. You weren't happy that they were not there to share with you and show you how much they cared for you.

I wasn't about that tbh
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a National thing FGS!

Who's behind it?
    It's bad enough in the run-up to Remembrance Day when all the numpties come out "tut-tut! Not wearing a poppy! Sacriledge!". No they want us to sit in the dark over a war that happened a hundred years ago!! They'll want you to immolate yourself over the Battle of Waterloo next!!

I bet the poppy fascists can't believe their luck, two opportunities in a year to dictate to everyone else.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think people are better just because they are going to sit with lights off and a candle

Bull shit! Since when do you need to do that to remember, they are the sad ones not me!
    I think the tone that has been adopted is that rather than simply a commemoration, people from all sides are joining together in a show of mutual sadness at the futility of such a wasteful war.

It's a pity that many other countries are incapable of such a reconciliation and continue to slaughter each other for no possible gain.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You think people are better just because they are going to sit with lights off and a candle

Bull shit! Since when do you need to do that to remember, they are the sad ones not me!

Oh I dunno, you're the one who's near bragging about not doing it but you ain't gonna get to hero rebel status if that's what your game is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I dunno, you're the one who's near bragging about not doing it but you ain't gonna get to hero rebel status if that's what your game is.

And neither are the people that turned their lights off going to get memorials.

Your logic cuts both ways. People choose to do what they want because they want to, not because they feel it is to be memorialised. Do you honestly think the people that signed up for WW1 were thinking "Well, I sure do hope 100 years from now some people turn their lights off for me if I die on duty in service to my country!"?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it. But not the other other one, or I'll scream "sexual assault!"
  • Options
    Forum Member

1) I wasn't bragging
    2) I don't have a game
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't do it. I'm in bed by 10 on a school night.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) I wasn't bragging
    2) I don't have a game

Yeah you do. It's called
    'The Many Ways to Antagonise people without Leaving Home while Massively Attention Seeking.'
    You start first with a thread, usually a topic you've chosen on a hundred other forums and it always goes the same way. You bait enough to provoke a certain response in order to justify your rudeness, then it escalates as people respond.All identical patterns wherever you post online. Then when you get found out, you get very defensive, try to deflect it onto the poster who dares to say this, then after a bit,you join a different forum.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I didn't do it but I was thinking about them.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yeah you do. It's called
    'The Many Ways to Antagonise people without Leaving Home while Massively Attention Seeking.'
    You start first with a thread, usually a topic you've chosen on a hundred other forums and it always goes the same way. You bait enough to provoke a certain response in order to justify your rudeness, then it escalates as people respond.All identical patterns wherever you post online. Then when you get found out, you get very defensive, try to deflect it onto the poster who dares to say this, then after a bit,you join a different forum.

Spot on.

It's pathetic.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Did Milliband put his lights out at 10pm?

We need to be told.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yeah you do. It's called

You're dead right. It is a pattern common with certain people. Probably the only attention they get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP:

Don't no where you live but it was 11.00pm in the UK
    :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you ever think of others or is it just me me, did you have family that went out to fight for your freedom, so sad really.:(:(:(:(>:(

Just because you did it, does not mean others have to. I did not do it. If you want to remember fallen soldiers you would not only do that on one day and turn your lights off. It makes no sense. Its the same as remembering any family member that has passed away.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh get over yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't need to be told by anyone how to commemorate the dead and I don't feel the need to talk about how I do that on the Internet.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    No problem with turning the lights out at 10pm last night, every problem with people on Facebook ordering me to do so and posting pictures of their candles to show how caring they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Theres a lot of nastiness on here and FB towards people who chose not to and a lot of smugness by those who did, I did by the way but that was my personal choice and I didn't gloat about it
    Kind of missing the point, it is peoples choice to remember in their own way, ironic that there are people still dictating what people do 100 years on!!
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    OP:

Don't no where you live but it was 11.00pm in the UK
    :p

No, the OP is correct. It was between 10pm and 11pm.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/ww1-centenary/lights-out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a lot of nastiness on here and FB towards people who chose not to and a lot of smugness by those who did, I did by the way but that was my personal choice and I didn't gloat about it
    Kind of missing the point, it is peoples choice to remember in their own way, ironic that there are people still dictating what people do 100 years on!!

Yeah, just goes to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same.