Eurovision 2015 - The UK entry...

Comments

• lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been able to get the song out of my head today.
    Must mean something
  • EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with the staging comment. Molly was completely different at her reveal, a thousand times better. None of the visual elements from the reveal were there, granted the structure was the same but that was a given as it is a heavily backing vocal lead track. They could have ditched the drummer who looked like he was on something, but hey.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this, so much better than the ballads from the other countries. I thinks its fun and quite catchy and eurovision is supposed to be fun.

I can't believe that some people are finding it offensive that a white man is singing it. Some people just live to be offended.
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The refrain 'Don't need to fear when I'm not there, I'm still in love you' and the violin hook is DEFINITELY stuck in my head today. VERY GOOD THING.

Yes, at first I thought, '...huh?' But simply because, it is nothing like the other entries, and electro-swing hasn't been done before in Eurovision. It is very off-the-wall, BUT always one of these sorts of acts does very very well. Look at Iceland and Poland last year, or Greece in 2013 ('Alcohol is Free), or the flipping Russian grannies! And because we're, so far, one of the most wacky acts, and Europe always likes at least one mad act, we could be it!

In terms of staging, they've said in the interview with Mills, that it's going to be nothing like the video but they're already planning it. At least they know the importance of it anyway, learning from Molly's last year! And the song has enough character for there to have memorable staging - whatever it is, we'll have to wait and see..

I'm being optimistic and saying 10th-15th placing, maybe a bit better if we're stuck between some ballads - which could happen seeing the majority of songs are so far this year. For the UK, that would be decent.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that some people are finding it offensive that a white man is singing it. Some people just live to be offended.

One of my children earns a good living from playing swing/jazz. I don't find the singing offensive at all. I do find the Black&White Minstrels performance bad taste, and inappropriate for Eurovision.

Or perhaps we're going for the Eeeugh Award this year? Usually quite a lot of competition there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I really like this years one, its fun and catchy and I think it has a chance of getting some decent points.

We sent a serious entry last year and we ended up with nothing, so why not have the tactical change. Molly's song was the best one in last years competition IMO.

Maybe we try too hard to win and that's why europe rejects, but now we that we have a light hearted entry -- europe will hopefully warm up to it and give us a bunch of points.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    One of my children earns a good living from playing swing/jazz. I don't find the singing offensive at all. I do find the Black&White Minstrels performance bad taste, and inappropriate for Eurovision.

Or perhaps we're going for the Eeeugh Award this year? Usually quite a lot of competition there.

What black and white minstrels are you referring to? There are none. There are dancers with neon lights across trheir bodies but it is YOU that it is interpreting it as something more. Do you know 100% that none of those dancers are black? It is, as far as I'm concerned, just a bit of quirky fun and I did not see anything racial in it at all - do you think the BBC would have broadcast it if there was? - and my black brother-in-law who was round my place with my sister and friends last night, didn't think there was anything racial about it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure if they were racially prejudice, they wouldn't have black dancers in the so called 'racist' element. The violin player(s) in the official video are black, as well as numerous extra's. And from what it looks like to me, it's the same group of people in the whole video including the neon section. These claims are ludicrous to be quite honest. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    This song has a 20th century vibe. It's now the 21st century and if it was a style of song from this century then we'd probably have a better shot at winning. We never really get good songs and its obvious we won't win. It's the kind of song that has a catchy beat, however, it's so annoying!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »

The black eyed peas do the same thing in the video for I gotta feeling
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the complainers ever actually see the black and white minstrels?
    Nothing like.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It almost has 2000 likes on the official Eurovision channel, and 1,300 dislikes, so it seems like an even enough balance of liked/disliked so far. Maybe we all hate it because it sounds nothing like what we hear on the radio everyday, but maybe there will be other countries who this song relates to more of feels more familiar to them.

Out of all the full-performances uploaded on the official Eurovision channel so far, it has the second most likes by quite a bit, and also views too (only Estonia is higher on both views and likes, but considering the UK entry has only been up for less than 24 hours, that's pretty impressive), so that's a good thing I guess. However it also has the most dislikes but Eurovision is a Vote to Win so it would be kind of hard to counter-vote against the song as you'd have to vote for 25 other entries! :p

As you can see, I'm trying to be optimistic here :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

Nineteen eighty-three.

The year? 1983. Did I say that already....?

Even got some blackface in there as well! Weird parallel....
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard it properly for the first time today.
    So the UK is trying the Eastern European tactic ?
    Of jumping on the bandwagon of old fashioned music that had a brief revival a few years ago.

I think it will do about as well as last year.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Did the complainers ever actually see the black and white minstrels?
    Nothing like.

When my Gran died, by the record played were loads of Albums I couldn't believe my eyes :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not important, but I just noticed at the end of the video the suitcases say 'Vienna'. Quite cute, little details and all that. :D:blush:
  • DebDynamiteDebDynamite Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I've decided, the song and singing are not *that* bad, it's the voilin that ruins the song for me. I find it incredibly annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided, the song and singing are not *that* bad, it's the voilin that ruins the song for me. I find it incredibly annoying.

I guess that's the part that makes it 'Electro'. I like it, just find everything together an odd mix. Neon rave, 1920s charleston, violin, scat, the backing singers just repeating 'dance'. I like Bianca's voice although she is capable of much more than this. Alex, however, could be the weak link of the whole thing.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It almost has 2000 likes on the official Eurovision channel, and 1,300 dislikes, so it seems like an even enough balance of liked/disliked so far. Maybe we all hate it because it sounds nothing like what we hear on the radio everyday, but maybe there will be other countries who this song relates to more of feels more familiar to them.

Out of all the full-performances uploaded on the official Eurovision channel so far, it has the second most likes by quite a bit, and also views too (only Estonia is higher on both views and likes, but considering the UK entry has only been up for less than 24 hours, that's pretty impressive), so that's a good thing I guess. However it also has the most dislikes but Eurovision is a Vote to Win so it would be kind of hard to counter-vote against the song as you'd have to vote for 25 other entries! :p

As you can see, I'm trying to be optimistic here :D

Not strictly true anymore. Well in the case of the juries anyway! Very easy for them to counter vote and rank it low
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Is 1/4 a million hits in 24 hours a good sign? How does this fare against youtube hits for other entries?
    I hated HATED the song intially and i still do - but it is memorable (for the wrong reasons) and it does get stuck in your head...
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK always amasses a high number of views. People are interested in knowing who we sent from all over Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbob1289 wrote: »
    Is 1/4 a million hits in 24 hours a good sign? How does this fare against youtube hits for other entries?
    I hated HATED the song intially and i still do - but it is memorable (for the wrong reasons) and it does get stuck in your head...

I dislike it, but find myself wanting to listen to it again and again even with the horrific parts. I guess Guy was right after all... :blush: It is 'insanely catchy' as it's driving me insane and it is very 'interesting'. :p
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking it sounds a lot like this advert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3UGI1jMP8
    Jungle Book - Bare Necessities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08NlhjpVFsU and Scatman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oXW_YiV6g

All mixed together there you have the UK song.
  • KozmicBluesKozmicBlues Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    I dislike it, but find myself wanting to listen to it again and again even with the horrific parts. I guess Guy was right after all... :blush: It is 'insanely catchy' as it's driving me insane and it is very 'interesting'. :p

Me too! I've had this song, and the waffle jingle, on a loop in my head all weekend!
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too! I've had this song, and the waffle jingle, on a loop in my head all weekend!
    Me three! It's good to enjoy the same song again Kozmic... normal service is resumed. :D