Options

Watching without Norton Commentary

I am watching it now on Iplayer and I wish there was option to Watch without Commentary , I don't mind a bit of Graham Norton but it just to much and we should have the option.

Comments

• Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer watching it without all the sneering, unfunny commentary from Graham and Scott Mills. Especially when he keeps talking over the recap to waffle on about what people are saying on Twitter or whatever.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    The other countries can be just as sarky as Wogan/ Norton are.

We happened to watch the ESC in Holland the year Lordi won - and even not speaking Dutch, you could tell that the guy commentating for the Dutch was just as irreverent (and our Dutch friends said even more so) than the UK..... Paper toy he called Lordi the Orks!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    The other countries can be just as sarky as Wogan/ Norton are.

We happened to watch the ESC in Holland the year Lordi won - and even not speaking Dutch, you could tell that the guy commentating for the Dutch was just as irreverent (and our Dutch friends said even more so) than the UK..... Paper toy he called Lordi the Orks!

Well the whole charade should be taken as a big joke, the voting is mainly political, many songs are absolute tuneless crud, nobody can really take it seriously. What amazes me what were the songs like that did even not make the final. Norton/Wogan are both the best part of this charade, I only watch it for their comments.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The commentary was really annoying this year. Graham, Scott and Mel all got on my nerves. They seemed to want to speak at every opportunity despite having nothing interesting to say. Graham had some nerve criticising the hosts interviewing and filling skills after all the drivel he spouted all night long.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The German commentator was even more annoying, always talking over the presenters.

It seems that there is a way to watch without commentary - the live feed is available on the Eurovision web site, and, for the first time this year, on YouTube.

Of course, I didn't find that out until too late....
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    The German commentator was even more annoying, always talking over the presenters.

It seems that there is a way to watch without commentary - the live feed is available on the Eurovision web site, and, for the first time this year, on YouTube.

Of course, I didn't find that out until too late....

Well, please remember that there may still be a few Germans that don't speak english - though to be honest you're hard pressed to find many.

I watched it on ARD because I can't stand the snyed Norton commentary - PeterUrban has his moments, but it's a much better viewing experience over all - the "after show" party on the Reeperbahn is also quite fun
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton does a good job and is more akin to the Terry Wogan style. As soon as I heard Norton say 'Welcome to Vienna' I thought, thank goodness that Mel and Scott have left the booth.

Mel was far to over enthused and using too many words when silence would be sufficient!!

Considering Norton had arrived in Austria fairly late, and probably had only seen the jury rehearsal on Friday, his commentary was sharp as if he had not over thought and scripted them. Like Wogan he does send up some of the happenings but overall he is well informed and respects the contest for what it is
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    I've always enjoyed Eurovision but will not watch this Norton type of commentary which smacks of childish comments, usually made while the more professional Host Presenters are talking.

What I do, is watch on satellite to Das Erste. It has German commentary which appears to be more laid back and more background. I can't understand a word of German but I can enjoy the show without the silly comments and watch and hear the music without interruptions.

Das Erste is on Astra at 19 East.
  • Options
    Amelia_SutherlaAmelia_Sutherla Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one could ever do the job as good as Terry Wogan it's not the same without him.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Well the whole charade should be taken as a big joke, the voting is mainly political, many songs are absolute tuneless crud, nobody can really take it seriously. What amazes me what were the songs like that did even not make the final. Norton/Wogan are both the best part of this charade, I only watch it for their comments.

So you don't think the voting is fair (ok) and yet you assume that all the songs in the semi must be terrible. Well that makes no sense. Also I wonder what music you normally listen to if you found most of the songs in the final 'tuneless crud'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can go on the Offical YouTube Channel and watch it without commentary there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQETFB4jV_A
    I am watching it now on Iplayer and I wish there was option to Watch without Commentary , I don't mind a bit of Graham Norton but it just to much and we should have the option.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one could ever do the job as good as Terry Wogan it's not the same without him.

Ah yes, the well-oiled wit of Wogan, with the Gift of the Gab.

The art is not in knowing what to say, but when to say something, and when to belt up.... like during the songs or while the presenters are talking (in whatever language).
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have very little time for Graham Norton - usually when he comes on the telly goes off, but I must confess I find him quite witty and fairly amusing on this.
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed Eurovision but will not watch this Norton type of commentary which smacks of childish comments, usually made while the more professional Host Presenters are talking.

What I do, is watch on satellite to Das Erste. It has German commentary which appears to be more laid back and more background. I can't understand a word of German but I can enjoy the show without the silly comments and watch and hear the music without interruptions.

Das Erste is on Astra at 19 East.

I agree with you 100% - Peter Urban (ARD / Das Erste) is quite laid back, but not afraid to make the occasional pithy (yes Germans can do pithy!) comments, mostly with regard to the voting. I do have the advantage of being able to speak / understand German and Peter Urban does tend to cover the show as though it, not he, is the star.

I thought this year's ORF hosts were some of the best I have seen for an ESC for many years - their English was amazingly good, and their scripting wasn't as cheesey as some broadcasters have made it in past years. Cochita Wurst was also good in the green room.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many think the presenters were terrible, wooden, bad script, phoning it in really.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton is hilarious and I probably wouldn't watch it without him
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I only watch it to listen to Norton.
    It would be dire without it in my opinion. :D
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

You and me both. :D
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit lacklustre this year, wasn't wowed by the lighting or the presenting, but Graham Norton's waspish comments are a joy. He says exactly what comes into my head as well when you see what the votes announcers are wearing - hilarious. I wanted Austria or Germany to win, and neither got a single vote, but I'm happy Sweden won :)
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton is amazing...obviously his sense of humour is a bit lost on y'all! :/ His comments are comic gold.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Norton is a very poor imitation.