Options

popular types of cuisine you can't stand ?

Comments

• Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I can assure you I'm not a snob. I do appreciate quality food though but I'll quite happily have a meal in a nice pub as well as enjoying nice restaurants.

I wasn't insulting people, as I say it was just the logical conclusion that to be hungry following a nice meal you must be used to piling plates high or not be happy until you feel like you're going to explode.

I genuinely find it impossible to believe that you'd leave a restaurant feeling hungry.

I had a look at The Samling Hotel website and the menu looks great.

Just out of interest what kind places do you prefer to eat?

Perhaps you didnt set out to insult , but insult you did .Is the only way you can handle a different opinion to yours is to presume we are fat slobs ? I went to a 6 course taster with friends .It was their choice and I went along .I didnt like at least 3 of the courses and couldnt finish them ,The other three I ate but was left feeling hungry .I am neither fat or eat large portions .I simply didnt like the fine dining and the foamy assortment on my plate
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Any junk, or fast food, with the possible exception of pizza, providing it's bought in Rome, Chicago, or New York.
    I'm not over keen on soul food, but I like grits and collard greens, (not sure if they qualify.)
    I like all the good ones, Italian, French, Eastern European, but my first choice is Cajun.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Perhaps you didnt set out to insult , but insult you did .Is the only way you can handle a different opinion to yours is to presume we are fat slobs ? I went to a 6 course taster with friends .It was their choice and I went along .I didnt like at least 3 of the courses and couldnt finish them ,The other three I ate but was left feeling hungry .I am neither fat or eat large portions .I simply didnt like the fine dining and the foamy assortment on my plate

Well, firstly apologies if I offended you, when people are saying they hate fine dining because the portions are tiny and you leave hungry I naturally assumed that you'd completely polished everything off and was still hungry which seem impossible and would imply that you're used to enormous portions and over-eating. You didn't actually mention that you didn't actually eat over half the meal, if you eat less than 50% of your meal then you're bound to be hungry.
    This has nothing to do with the restaurant or small portions, quite clearly a taster menu where you don't choose your food isn't ideal for fussy eaters and people who don't like lots of things. You'd have been better going a la carte (although a lot of places specify the whole table must have the taster menu). There are very few things that I don't like so I love taster menus as they often give an opportunity to try a variety of things. I've even had things that I'd have never picked but have ended up loving. For example I never, ever pick soup and I'm not really a fan of eggs but I was given a potato and garlic soup with salt cod and a poached quail egg and it was stunning, I absolutely loved it, yet if I'd seen it on a menu I'd have gone straight past it. Obviously everyone is different and if I was dining with someone who was a fussy eater I'd suggest that we do the a la carte menu, I think the people you went with are quite selfish if they made you have the taster menu knowing you probably wouldn't like a lot of it.

What's with the obsession with hating foam though? It serves a purpose and can be used effectively to very delicately flavour something.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    the calf gets snatched from its mother at birth and never gets to see daylight in order for the meat to be white

I don't bible bash people for eating meat except for foie gras and veal

There are far more barbaric things going on. Anyone who eats eggs is party to things a thousand times worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you have to stop at the chipper on the way home cos you are starving

I've been to many 'fine dining' restaurants and have never, ever left hungry. Last one we had about 11 courses over 3 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Foie gras. Its like a lump of lard in your mouth that has been mildly flavoured with raw liver.
    Maybe thats why it isn't so popular.

Really? Had it lots of times and it's beautiful. Seared foie gras is like the gooiest, loveliest meat you have ever tasted.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you I'm not a snob. I do appreciate quality food though but I'll quite happily have a meal in a nice pub as well as enjoying nice restaurants.

I wasn't insulting people, as I say it was just the logical conclusion that to be hungry following a nice meal you must be used to piling plates high or not be happy until you feel like you're going to explode.

I genuinely find it impossible to believe that you'd leave a restaurant feeling hungry.

I had a look at The Samling Hotel website and the menu looks great.

Just out of interest what kind places do you prefer to eat?

Don't make snobbish comments is my advice. I like most types of cuisine and I prefer to eat in a resaturant which serves food in the usual manner. 3 or 4 courses using quality
    fresh produce. l'm in my 60's and I often find 2 courses are sufficient. If you enjoy this cuisine, Holbeck Ghyll Hotel near the Samling is very good and in a spectacular position. We prefer to stay in the annexe, rather than the main house and there are the best views of Windermere and beyond, we've ever found.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Another for the new fine dining...food on wooden boards (give me a PLATE!), truffle oil, tiny portions, overpriced, just not my thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, firstly apologies if I offended you, when people are saying they hate fine dining because the portions are tiny and you leave hungry I naturally assumed that you'd completely polished everything off and was still hungry which seem impossible and would imply that you're used to enormous portions and over-eating. You didn't actually mention that you didn't actually eat over half the meal, if you eat less than 50% of your meal then you're bound to be hungry.
    This has nothing to do with the restaurant or small portions, quite clearly a taster menu where you don't choose your food isn't ideal for fussy eaters and people who don't like lots of things. You'd have been better going a la carte (although a lot of places specify the whole table must have the taster menu). There are very few things that I don't like so I love taster menus as they often give an opportunity to try a variety of things. I've even had things that I'd have never picked but have ended up loving. For example I never, ever pick soup and I'm not really a fan of eggs but I was given a potato and garlic soup with salt cod and a poached quail egg and it was stunning, I absolutely loved it, yet if I'd seen it on a menu I'd have gone straight past it. Obviously everyone is different and if I was dining with someone who was a fussy eater I'd suggest that we do the a la carte menu, I think the people you went with are quite selfish if they made you have the taster menu knowing you probably wouldn't like a lot of it.

What's with the obsession with hating foam though? It serves a purpose and can be used effectively to very delicately flavour something.

I am not obsessed with hating foam . I just dont like the texture .
    My preference is for fresh salads , lean fresh meat and fresh fruit . But I have no problem at all with anyone else who is not keen on it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another for the new fine dining...food on wooden boards (give me a PLATE!), truffle oil, tiny portions, overpriced, just not my thing.

I don't get the 'tiny portions' thing. Whenever I go to good restaurants you are supposed to have at least 3 courses, sometimes 10 or more, therefore the portions can look small, but you shouldn't leave hungry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the 'tiny portions' thing. Whenever I go to good restaurants you are supposed to have at least 3 courses, sometimes 10 or more, therefore the portions can look small, but you shouldn't leave hungry.

This baffles me too. Yes, you'd leave hungry if you're a fussy eater and leave more than you eat, in which case surely you don't do the taster menu and go a la carte.

Then another poster states that she dislikes the tiny portions yet in another post claims 2 "normal" courses normally fills her up. Surely 8-12 courses of smaller portions is more food than 2 courses in a standard restaurant?

The overpriced thing baffles me too.

You also get accused of being a snob if you defend "fine dining".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This baffles me too. Yes, you'd leave hungry if you're a fussy eater and leave more than you eat, in which case surely you don't do the taster menu and go a la carte.

Then another poster states that she dislikes the tiny portions yet in another post claims 2 "normal" courses normally fills her up. Surely 8-12 courses of smaller portions is more food than 2 courses in a standard restaurant?

No , you get accused of being a snob if you presume anyone who doesnt like it must be fat and eat huge portions
    Like what you like , just dont ask me to like it
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not just "fine dining restaurants which do the wooden board thing - many pubs do it too. Mind you pretentious pub food is the topic of a different thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's not just "fine dining restaurants which do the wooden board thing - many pubs do it too. Mind you pretentious pub food is the topic of a different thread.

The slates are the latest fad here in Ireland . My question is how are the cleaned ? I much prefer my food on a plate thats been well washed in a machine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You understand perfectly why you were accused of snobbery, don't misrepresent me or anyone else. You can stop being baffled. You will find as you get older you won't be able to eat as much. So you suggest eating a la carte. Yes I've done that. The problem then is I'm left watching my husband eating his tasters for long periods of time between my courses, as they try to drag my meal out to fit his. People like different things, is that difficult for you to accept without insults, cross examination and bafflement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The slates are the latest fad here in Ireland . My question is how are the cleaned ? I much prefer my food on a plate thats been well washed in a machine

We travel to ireland monthly. Your cuisine, the quality and freshness of produce is wonderful. We've always got irish produce in our fridge, Clonakilty black and white puddings at the moment. One of my husbands passions.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

DO you think of all the bits of food stuck in the crevices and folds of slate? me too....
    the problem with the slate thing for me is also the noise (and sensation) the cutlery makes if you touch the slate with it...if you have to cut meat for example it goes right through me and agitates every nerve ending *shudders*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    We travel to ireland monthly. Your cuisine, the quality and freshness of produce is wonderful.

And a shame its plonked on a slate !!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    DO you think of all the bits of food stuck in the crevices and folds of slate? me too....
    the problem with the slate thing for me is also the noise (and sensation) the cutlery makes if you touch the slate with it...if you have to cut meat for example it goes right through me and agitates every nerve ending *shudders*

Exactly ! The knife grinding on it makes my teeth hurt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And a shame its plonked on a slate !!'
    That hasn't happened ......yet.:D
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Exactly ! The knife grinding on it makes my teeth hurt

it's horrendous!!! glad it's not just me!!
    metal on slate is unbearable :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Fine Dining. Bollocks, more like.

Forgive me, but you make yourself sound like the late Bob Crow, the RMT union leader.
    "I am working class, I eat in Sid's greasy spoon, up market restaurants are for toffs."
    You're doubtless nothing like that, but dismissing fine dining with a sneer gives that impression.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Sushi: couldn't eat it if you paid me.

Horses for courses, I love it.
    Nandos.

Cannot understand the popularity.

Me neither, but I think that the people who patronise Nandos are a little off putting, only a little mind.
    No idea what the food is like, no wish to find out.
    chris1978 wrote: »
    couscous - absolutely vile stuff. Mush on a plate.
    Olives - the Devils testicles

Once again, horses for courses, couscous should not be swimming, it should be dryish.
    Olives, particularly stuffed with pimentos I could pop like a kid does Smarties.
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Stuffed anything, like peppers. Can't stand it, it's like here! Have some veg that taste yuk with a whole load more yuk stuffed in.

See above, stuff them with mushrooms, rice, or minced meat, yum, yum.
    In Germany apparently (don't eat them myself) but they are meant to be much better quality than in the UK

That's probably because there are lots of Balkan and Turkish restaurants in Germany, they came with the first Gastarbeiters, (guest workers), in the late 50s and 60s, and they make kebabs like Anne, (mum), used to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No , you get accused of being a snob if you presume anyone who doesnt like it must be fat and eat huge portions
    Like what you like , just dont ask me to like it

But you didn't state the whole story, that you are quite picky and ate less than 50% of the meal. People kept saying about "tiny portions", leaving a restaurant and having to go to the chippy on the way home which implies you've eaten 8 courses and then still been hungry so called at the chippy. I'm sorry, but if you can eat 8 courses and then have something from the chippy then I think it's a fairly natural and appropriate assumption that you're either fat or over-eat a lot.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    You understand perfectly why you were accused of snobbery, don't misrepresent me or anyone else. You can stop being baffled. You will find as you get older you won't be able to eat as much. So you suggest eating a la carte. Yes I've done that. The problem then is I'm left watching my husband eating his tasters for long periods of time between my courses, as they try to drag my meal out to fit his. People like different things, is that difficult for you to accept without insults, cross examination and bafflement?

No, but I find it a bit strange to label "fine dining" as tiny portions and people leaving hungry when it turns out people are just being fussy and leaving courses they don't like (after making an inappropriate menu choice), which clearly isn't the fault of the restaurant so it seems a bit daft to label "fine dining" as a joke and something terrible.

As I've said, I wouldn't expect my companion to have the tasting menu if they didn't want and if they didn't have it I wouldn't have it myself. I think that's selfish. Most places I've encountered wouldn't actually serve the tasting menu to just a couple of people at the table, it's normally the entire table has to have it (to avoid problems like you described).

I find it a bit strange that you stated that "fine dining" places have "miserly" portions and moaned about the "gnawing hunger" yet then stated that 2 "normal" courses fill you up. I'd say 8 courses of "miserly" portions would still be more food than 2 "normal" courses.

Yes, different people like different things but some people on here seem to almost take pride in that they don't like "fine dining" and make it out to be rubbish. It comes across like a child discussing football teams and branding all the teams they don't like as rubbish. It's like me saying "Classical music is rubbish", classical music isn't to my taste and I don't like it but I can see and appreciate the artistry involved and would never slag it off and label it as something it's clearly not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you didn't state the whole story, that you are quite picky and ate less than 50% of the meal. People kept saying about "tiny portions", leaving a restaurant and having to go to the chippy on the way home which implies you've eaten 8 courses and then still been hungry so called at the chippy. I'm sorry, but if you can eat 8 courses and then have something from the chippy then I think it's a fairly natural and appropriate assumption that you're either fat or over-eat a lot.

No, but I find it a bit strange to label "fine dining" as tiny portions and people leaving hungry when it turns out people are just being fussy and leaving courses they don't like (after making an inappropriate menu choice), which clearly isn't the fault of the restaurant so it seems a bit daft to label "fine dining" as a joke and something terrible.

As I've said, I wouldn't expect my companion to have the tasting menu if they didn't want and if they didn't have it I wouldn't have it myself. I think that's selfish. Most places I've encountered wouldn't actually serve the tasting menu to just a couple of people at the table, it's normally the entire table has to have it (to avoid problems like you described).

I find it a bit strange that you stated that "fine dining" places have "miserly" portions and moaned about the "gnawing hunger" yet then stated that 2 "normal" courses fill you up. I'd say 8 courses of "miserly" portions would still be more food than 2 "normal" courses.

Yes, different people like different things but some people on here seem to almost take pride in that they don't like "fine dining" and make it out to be rubbish. It comes across like a child discussing football teams and branding all the teams they don't like as rubbish. It's like me saying "Classical music is rubbish", classical music isn't to my taste and I don't like it but I can see and appreciate the artistry involved and would never slag it off and label it as something it's clearly not.

whatever.You are like a dog with a bone now
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few. First on the list is curry. I find that even a mild one burns my mouth out. :p