Options

DS Crisis Support Group? (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    *Purdy**Purdy* Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks :)

I'm just getting over a really poorly few days so not been on DS since Monday but I'm usually lurking about every day as well

Sal: It appears there are a fair few of the 'old regulars' still about who would respond in an instant if you need a shoulder or an ear. ((((Sal))))

Cinders: Wooooo, Your wedding can't be far off now can it? Must be a lot on your plate at the moment. Are you still on the Poppets? :D

Diss: Nice to hear that things are going ok for you at the moment. Maybe this is just what has been required... someone with the need to give the thread a kick up th b*m

Lorry: Bet you've had a bloomin cold but spectacular winter up there. Sorry to hear you've been unwell though. (((Lorry)))

Polly: Us lurkers hey.:o How's the studying going now? Or is it all finished or have you started something new?

Pete: It's good to hear that things are finally starting to look up for you and the family after the troubles you have all been through.

Dors: I know you also have the odd lurk in between your dreaded phd. ;) I know due you don't really have the time to participate but would be lovely to see some of your wisdom and indeed wit back on the thread.

And a shout out to the other oldies: Owlie, Angel, June, Gilly, Lissie, Station and anyone else who's names are to many and numerous to remember:)
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Purdy* wrote: »
    Hi Folks :)

I'm just getting over a really poorly few days so not been on DS since Monday but I'm usually lurking about every day as well

Sal: It appears there are a fair few of the 'old regulars' still about who would respond in an instant if you need a shoulder or an ear. ((((Sal))))

Cinders: Wooooo, Your wedding can't be far off now can it? Must be a lot on your plate at the moment. Are you still on the Poppets? :D

Diss: Nice to hear that things are going ok for you at the moment. Maybe this is just what has been required... someone with the need to give the thread a kick up th b*m

Lorry: Bet you've had a bloomin cold but spectacular winter up there. Sorry to hear you've been unwell though. (((Lorry)))

Polly: Us lurkers hey.:o How's the studying going now? Or is it all finished or have you started something new?

Pete: It's good to hear that things are finally starting to look up for you and the family after the troubles you have all been through.

Dors: I know you also have the odd lurk in between your dreaded phd. ;) I know due you don't really have the time to participate but would be lovely to see some of your wisdom and indeed wit back on the thread.

And a shout out to the other oldies: Owlie, Angel, June, Gilly, Lissie, Station and anyone else who's names are to many and numerous to remember:)

Purdy, what a lovely post, you remembered us all :)

Yes thanks, the studying is finished and despite the awful year I managed to get my MA. Don't think I'd have got through it all without the lovely folk on here who were so supportive through all my crisis times.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad few days (((Purdy))) but hope things are improving for you now. I won't ask what you were doing up at that time in the morning, hope it was a party and not insomnia :D

It's been great to see some of the old gang in here, love to all, Polly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purdy, what a lovely post, you remembered us all :)

Yes thanks, the studying is finished and despite the awful year I managed to get my MA. Don't think I'd have got through it all without the lovely folk on here who were so supportive through all my crisis times.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad few days (((Purdy))) but hope things are improving for you now. I won't ask what you were doing up at that time in the morning, hope it was a party and not insomnia :D

It's been great to see some of the old gang in here, love to all, Polly

Morning Polly.:D

'Twas only midnight when I was posting. Still early for me. Don't think I could make a party at the moment if my life depended on it. That would need far too much energy and just a tad of motivation, both of which are currently non existant.

And it's not just remembering people, but more missing everyone and the sharing and supporting each other which we all did so well.

Anyhow, do you have any plans to take your studying further after all that hard work or are you looking for another/different challenge?
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Purdy, Polly and Pete! Long time no chat!

Purdy that was indeed a lovely warm post, and thank you for the hug. I hope you're feeling much better now yourself.

Polly, CONGRATULATIONS on achieving your MA!!!! My daughter has just done the same thing so I know how much work goes into it - you should be really proud of yourself.

Pete, thank goodness you have some light to look forward to at the end of a very long painful tunnel.

Dors, it would be lovely to hear from you again, as the thread "mum". You were, and I'm sure still are, always so wise, selfless, empathetic but honest, and witty to boot - a perfect combination.

Sal - how are those kitties of yours? Flo has grown into a beautiful and small but self-assured and bossy cat - she leads big old Gus a right merry dance!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How brilliant is it to see some of the old gang in here again :):):) I too have missed everyone, but life has been on an even keel and it seems to be a bit mean to post that when others are having a hard time. However, like many others I have remained a lurker, ready to post when an old friend calls in.

Lorry, I am still knitting! remember encouraging me to have a go as a distraction when life was falling apart? It worked so well that my wardrobe of jumpers has grown and I am making one for someone else now. Are you still producing those lovely bags?

Could I add a me too on "Dors, it would be lovely to hear from you again, as the thread "mum". You were, and I'm sure still are, always so wise, selfless, empathetic but honest, and witty to boot - a perfect combination." Hope the Phd is progressing, hard work but you can do it. As my Mum used to say, You are a woman therefore you can do anything.

Purdy, I know what you mean about not partying, I am so pleased to spend an evening with warm furry slippers and no need to go anywhere. At one time I'd have thought that boring, but now its absolute bliss. No plans for more studies at the mo, but must find a fresh challenge sometime, just not sure what.

love, Polly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polly, I'm so impressed ! You've gone way ahead of me in the knitting stakes - I've never had the patience to make a garment. I remember, years ago, I started a fair isle jumper for my hubby but I got so bored after doing the front that the back got knitted plain and it ended up as a tank top because I couldn't be bothered to do the sleeves! :p I obviously have the attention span of a goldfish!

But I am still knitting little rustic neck purses, chunky scarves and the odd (very odd!) little toy or two and enjoying that immensely. My main interest these days though is sewing, especially Japanese "zakka" style patchwork - again small items not a big quilt. Also I'm doing a wedding fair in May and for that I'm making some one-off "mother of the bride" type bags and other "specials" - so I'm keeping busy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, I can't remember if or not I mentioned that I had applied to go to university next year... sillily I only applied for one place and was turned down. Hey ho :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all.
    I kind of lurk as well these days, but would love to post here again.
    Things are pretty much same as ever with me. Some good days and some not so good along the way.
    Hope to be able to catch up with you all.
    Hugs to all.
  • Options
    sootygirlsootygirl Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too tired to post properly. Very happy to see everyone again :D I'll pass some Caramel bunnies around, these orgasmic little cute chocolates have replacd poppets as my guilty pleasure :D 3 weeks to the wedding I've well and truly given up the diet lol

I'll pop in tommorrow when im awake :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone... it is nice to see so many people popping back up:)

Sal: Are you feeling a bit better now? You haven't popped back since saying about resurrecting the thread :(, so I'm hoping that's because someone has managed to help you via PM or off site. (((Hugs)))

Cinders: Three weeks:eek:. I'm not over keen on the caramel bunnies; for me the Maltesers ones (when I can actually eat:() are just the yummiest ever. Hope you are feeling a bit less tired today.

Lissie: Hi :D. Lovely to see another friendly face back.

Diss: Don't give up on the uni plans. You have all the time in the world to get there as I'm sure one or two of the friendly folk here will attest. What were you looking at? Something around photography, media or written word or am I so far out as to be on another planet somewhere in outer space:D

*waves* to Polly and Lorry and anyone else reading or lurking and wondering whether they want to post.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay Sooty, three weeks will just fly by. Are you at the stage of wishing you had eloped, or is all going smoothly and peacefully?

So glad Purdy doesn't like the caramel bunnies - all the more for us addicts :D They are tricky little things, keep jumping into my shopping basket when I didn't intend to buy them at all.

Lissie, good to see another of the old gang back in here. How is the OU course going? Are you still enjoying the writing?

Diss, same as Purdy said, never too late, just later than planned. Go for it, uni will be great and you will be embarking on an exciting new phase - hard work but very rewarding when you graduate.

Lorry, I'm gonna have to google 'zakka' patchwork, I only know the american tradional sort. Well done on mother of the bride bags, great idea as wedding season is just beginning - as we know from Sooty, our very own bride of the year.

Purdy, having trouble eating? Oh dear, hope you are better soon and able to fill your tum with malteser rabbits - not the healthiest idea, but a yummy one anyway :p

Sal, hope all is well with you, and a big THANK YOU for resurrecting the thread with your post. Looks like we all missed it, and each other, so ((Sal)) hugs to you and Nettie.

Hugs to all, what a fantastic bunch of survivors, we hit crisis after crisis and here we all are, still standing (or staggering) so woohoo to us.

love, Polly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all.
    Thought I'd best pop in quick before all those chocolate bunnies hopped off.
    I'm just having a quick skive from my studies, well actually it has been a day long skive, but hay, must kick myself up the bum soon, am fast running out of time before end of course.
    Before I forget can I ask Polly which courses she did, as I'm deciding where to go next at the mo and looking for courses. The course name and number would be useful on any you could recommend so i can have a nose at them.
    Hope we are all having an ok day so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *creeps in and shoves purdy up so I can sit down*
    Gosh oldies it's been a while hasn't it! I've not realised until the last few months just how much I've missed this thread. I'm still having a really hard time with things and things are no better than when I was last on here, if anything they're worse :( I have realised lately how much I liked popping on here knowing there would always be a shoulder to moan on and someone to listen so I'm all up for resurrecting the thread :)

I want to join purdy with the malteser bunnies, they are to die for!!!! Although I've only had one!!!! :D

Lovely to hear what you've all been up to of late, only really speak to purdy now so don't know what the rest of you are doing and how you are.

Sooty I can't believe the wedding is only 3wks away :eek: it seems 2mins since you got engaged!!! you must be unbelievably excited and I can't wait to hear alllllllll about it! I've bored people silly talking about weddings :D

Well done polly, you are doing really well and seem to have come so far from when you first came onto this thread :)

Lorry, I've often thought about you of late as you were always like a second mum to me, along with purdy and I've missed you :)

Nice to see lissie,sally and diss popping in too and hope you all return along with more of the 'oldies'.

Love and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi purdy no change really i just dunno where to start :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi purdy no change really i just dunno where to start :cry:

Sal, PM me if it would be easier than telling all on here.
    XX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sal, PM me if it would be easier than telling all on here.
    XX

i may well do purdy thankyou xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel, how nice to see you. Sorry things are still bad, have a friendly ((hug)) and moan all you want to. As we all have realised, sometimes just writing things down can clear our heads a bit, and the support on here is wonderful. I have no bunnies left to share, but how about some left over Thorntons from Mothers Day?

Lissie, I think most of the courses I did have been discontinued, but I enjoyed most of them, it depends a great deal on the tutor, but the only duff one I had was the foundation year. Basically, I chose any module to do with history, Victorian whenever I could get one. Best bet it to choose one you are really interested in, it makes it all interesting and enjoyable.

((((Sal)))) you have been through so much, hope things start to improve soon for you.

Waves to everyone else, now I must get dressed cos you naughty people have made me curious about maltesers rabbits and I need to find one to try for myself - purely for research you understand :D

love, Polly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....... you naughty people have made me curious about maltesers rabbits and I need to find one to try for myself - purely for research you understand :D

love, Polly

Morning Polly.

I know you can get them at Tesco and Asda, so would imagine any of the supermarkets will stock them.

Malteser Bunny

Happy hunting. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning Polly.

I know you can get them at Tesco and Asda, so would imagine any of the supermarkets will stock them.

Malteser Bunny

Happy hunting. :D

Morrisons do them too :D

will try get back later tonight to update with my situation, if not I will do tomorrow :)

Love you all xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooty I had no idea you were getting married this year....well maybe I did know before, but my memory is getting worse these days, so please forgive me for forgetting, if that's what I did, and I'm not saying I did, but it's a distinct possibility. So before I go and get me coat I'll just congratulate you and wish you every happiness! Try not to get too stressed about it all, it's just one day and the only important people are you and your betrothed (just in case you've been experiencing the usual family arguments and other wedding-themed difficulties - I'm not saying you have but just in case you have, I sympathise....)

Now I'll go and get me coat.......

P.S. Owlie - how lovely of you to mention me! I hope all is well with you.
    P.P.S. Sally - ((((((hugs)))))) and if I can help you any other way please don't hesitate to pm me too.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys, not spoken in ages. hope everyones doing okay? x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Hello Purdy, Polly and Pete! Long time no chat!

Purdy that was indeed a lovely warm post, and thank you for the hug. I hope you're feeling much better now yourself.

Polly, CONGRATULATIONS on achieving your MA!!!! My daughter has just done the same thing so I know how much work goes into it - you should be really proud of yourself.

Pete, thank goodness you have some light to look forward to at the end of a very long painful tunnel.

Dors, it would be lovely to hear from you again, as the thread "mum". You were, and I'm sure still are, always so wise, selfless, empathetic but honest, and witty to boot - a perfect combination.

Sal - how are those kitties of yours? Flo has grown into a beautiful and small but self-assured and bossy cat - she leads big old Gus a right merry dance!

A few of us posting has certainly brought some of us oldies out of the woodwork. Hi Lorry:D Sal et al:)

Although I have indicated that things have improved, all things are relative. Considering the nature of my operation, the 6 hours taken and the lung infection I had, things have improved. To give you some idea, maximum recovery(Whatever that is) will take up to 2 years. I am only 5 months down the line. Fortunately my wife , being a nurse fully understands where things are and how to help. I may have given you all an over optimistic view. However things are improving. One thing missing, I cant pick up my 9lb grand daughter yet. That type of thing upsets me more than anything.

One thing I can say, I am in less pain overall than I have been in for 20 years. Its also quite different. My mood is far better "The Light at the end of the tunnel":)

I am writing this to show, however bad things are, don't give up!!!.

3 years ago I had no hope of any improvement. How things have changed. We also never thought our Catherine would ever give us a living Grand child. She has now even after a long tortuous path.

I am not sure how much I will post. The biggest side affect of the operation is fatigue. I also really have to be careful what I do.

So Take care one and all

Pete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete, what do you mean 'us oldies' :eek: I have been 25 for so many years it's too late to start changing things now. I think you must have been about before I came whimpering in here at crisis point, but how lovely for you to be in less pain, must make the world seem a different place. Five months through a 2 year sentence =- that's almost a quarter done! You might not be able to pick up your grandchild (yet!) but you can still have the joy of getting to know her and seeing her respond to your smiles.

Purdy & Angel, the bunny hunt has not gone well. I tried a Marks n Sparks bubbly bunny, very nice, and another caramel one to make sure they were still good quality, but the elusive malteser rabbit is nowhere to be found. I shall try Morrisons for one of the little blighters tomorrow.

Quick wave & a 'hi' to Beth, hope all is well with you.

Purdy, I seem to remember you having your kitchen done, a job I need to see to sometime:( How did you find someone reliable to do the job (assuming they were reliable). Might seem off topic, but with the ex off with his floozie I am having to work out how to do all sorts of things I never needed to know before. Please can that count as a mini crisis?

love
    Polly xx
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing okay, I guess. Bit "eughhhh" though, got alot on my mind, but ill be fine

I got a B in psychology, which is good, :)

Hope everyone else is doing okay? You know where I am if anyone needs a chat x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete, what do you mean 'us oldies' :eek: I have been 25 for so many years it's too late to start changing things now. I think you must have been about before I came whimpering in here at crisis point, but how lovely for you to be in less pain, must make the world seem a different place. Five months through a 2 year sentence =- that's almost a quarter done! You might not be able to pick up your grandchild (yet!) but you can still have the joy of getting to know her and seeing her respond to your smiles.

Purdy & Angel, the bunny hunt has not gone well. I tried a Marks n Sparks bubbly bunny, very nice, and another caramel one to make sure they were still good quality, but the elusive malteser rabbit is nowhere to be found. I shall try Morrisons for one of the little blighters tomorrow.

Quick wave & a 'hi' to Beth, hope all is well with you.

Purdy, I seem to remember you having your kitchen done, a job I need to see to sometime:( How did you find someone reliable to do the job (assuming they were reliable). Might seem off topic, but with the ex off with his floozie I am having to work out how to do all sorts of things I never needed to know before. Please can that count as a mini crisis?

love
    Polly xx

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, for laughing so much but that is just so funny. !!!!!

The kitchen has now been an ongoing obstacle for 8 months. It still isn't done.

What has been done, has been done by OH. Who shouldn't be doing such things due to his own health problems. As a consequence a job that should maybe take a couple of days maximum can take the best part of 4 weeks.

Wall painting has been finished months ago... in fact it is now ready to be painted again.:D Still waiting for woodwork to be done. But first the skirting boards need to actually be fitted, and the new window surround.
    Also waitiing for new kickplates and all the boxing in of the pipework that had to be removed when the new boiler was installed.

Have a beautiful tiled floor though. That took over a month. Lay a couple of tiles, become so exhausted that nothing more can be done for 3/4 days and then start again. It becomes a very long drawn out process.

And as for the new ceiling and the lighting - well that was just a nightmare. (finally finished last weekend and looks great though)

And during all this... the dishwasher packed up, the tumble dryer packed up, the oven packed up, the microwave packed up, the kettle packed up :eek:.

Ever felt you were living in a permanent bulding site? Ever wondered will it all ever end? Ever asked why are men so bloomin' stubborn and think that the world will end if they cannot do their little bit of DIY? Do I often feel like screaming? .... you can bet I do
    I'm sure Angel can give you some insider info on what it's been like 'cos she's seen most of it.

Still, is it any wonder I laughed so much at your asking me about my kitchen.

So I'm very sorry Polly, but unfortunately I cannot offer any sound or reliable advice re the kitchen as I don't have any. :D

On a good note, I woke yesterday morning and didn't feel sick for the first time in ages. Managed two small coffees during the morning, then lunch. Still ok. Managed to do a little bit in my tiny backyard garden including having a play with the pressure washer during the afternoon. That was fun. :)

Unfortunately the sickness feeling crept back during the afternoon and hasn't gone away since. I wish the hospital would hurry up and get me in for my liver scan. The top right side of my tum is so tender constantly and just touching the area can set me heaving. Its not painful as such, just feels tender and swollen and whole tum is constantly bloated. Had my gastroscopy couple of weeks ago and all I know from that is I don't have any ulcers. Consultant will re send for me when he also has the results of the liver scan which were requested on 30th December. So its just a case of waiting.

Anyway, sorry for the whinge and good luck with the bunny hunting. I reckon you should get 2 when you find them. One for each of us,. But you can eat mine 'cos I can't. :D