Options

iPad, is it worth it?

Im looking at the new ipads, and carn't decide if i would actually have a sound use for it, can any one advise on its real advantages and disadvantages rather than just the apple marketing machine?
Thanks, Steve

Comments

• Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'll do my best.

pluses :-
    • Its light
    • Its gives off practically no heat
    • Its handy for just lounging around on the sofa, bed, whereever
    • Big screen - bigger than netbooks and decent quality
    • Given the amount of sales its had so far, it is likely to be supported by many businesses wanting to cash in on the market.
    • good battery life - 8 to 10 hrs

negatives
    • expensive
    • you're locked into the apple OS meaning all sware has to be approved by them
    • no flash so many video streaming sites wont work
    • not good for actual work - typing out long documents or emails isnt something to do on it.
    • no essential reason to buy it - there hasnt been a killer application released yet that isnt available on a laptop in some form
    • back lit so its (apparently, as i've not done a comparison) not as easy to read books or long documents from as a kindle

basically if you want something thats handy to go on the road with or that you want to browse on the sofa without having to get up and sit at a desk as you would a laptop then it does the job very well. however its not a computer - its not meant to replace one so dont buy it with that in mind. i basically see it as a luxury item.. if you can afford it and see yourself using it in the way i've outlined above then go for it.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ordered one.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing the web, watching catchup TV and viewing photo's. I may even start reading some books.
    I'll still be using my laptop but the iPad appeals to me as I'll never need to do a virus software update or install crytical updates.

Whether it's worth the money, only you can answer that. I personally think that it's money well spent, others will disagree.

Oh yes, irishguy just reminded me.

Cool and silent surfing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I've ordered one.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing the web, watching catchup TV and viewing photo's. I may even start reading some books.
    I'll still be using my laptop but the iPad appeals to me as I'll never need to do a virus software update or install crytical updates.

Whether it's worth the money, only you can answer that. I personally think that it's money well spent, others will disagree.

iplayer doesnt work on it :(

i hope the BBC are working towards making an app for it.

not sure what the other TV companies are doing.

ABC player which i think is the only TV catch up service on it only works in the states :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    iplayer doesnt work on it :(

i hope the BBC are working towards making an app for it.

not sure what the other TV companies are doing.

ABC player which i think is the only TV catch up service on it only works in the states :(:(

Really? I would have thought since it works on the iPod it would work on the iPad.

Oh well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed that was my thought... the bbc site must be doing some kind of OS detection and redirecting the browser to the appropriate page... in this case its redirecting the pad to the flash page :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed that was my thought... the bbc site must be doing some kind of OS detection and redirecting the browser to the appropriate page... in this case its redirecting the pad to the flash page :(

Do you know if the iphone version of tvcatchup works?

Evidently there are a few apps that allow you to get to the iPhone version of iPlayer. Obviously it won't take advantage of the larger size.

Link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers for that.

is that an iphone app?

this link says it does

http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread.php?t=7203&page=3
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I think people ate foolish getting one. My iPod touch does 99% of the same thing at 1/4 the cost. If I want to do office work etc I use a propper laptop. As for books, it's screen is poor for reading. Apple must be laughing at people charging so much for it- you can get a mac mini for the same price or a lighter faster laptop for 1/2 the price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers for that.

is that an iphone app?

this link says it does

http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread.php?t=7203&page=3

Thanks

According to the iTunes store, Sphere Lite is compatible with iPod, iPhone and iPad. I think it's just an alternative browser which obviously confuses the iPlayer site into thinking its an iphone.

It's free, too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    I think people ate foolish getting one. My iPod touch does 99% of the same thing at 1/4 the cost. If I want to do office work etc I use a propper laptop. As for books, it's screen is poor for reading. Apple must be laughing at people charging so much for it- you can get a mac mini for the same price or a lighter faster laptop for 1/2 the price.

the main reason i have it is for the ease of browsing. you cant browse on a kindle and a laptop is too awkward and big to haul around the sofa or kitchen.... i think its worth the price but i imagine a lot of people wont!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Thanks

According to the iTunes store, Sphere Lite is compatible with iPod, iPhone and iPad. I think it's just an alternative browser which obviously confuses the iPlayer site into thinking its an iphone.

It's free, too. :)

cool - downloading it now!
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Careful now - there's a lot of people complaining about the wi-fi reception, including this tweet yesterday from Philip Schofield...

"wifi on the iPad is poop!! I'm on the lap-top"

This is one of the main Apple WiFi threads on the subject (117,000 views!)
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the main reason i have it is for the ease of browsing. you cant browse on a kindle and a laptop is too awkward and big to haul around the sofa or kitchen.... i think its worth the price but i imagine a lot of people wont!

But on the other hand a netbook is more like a direct alternative, and is about a bazillion times easier to type on (*), and at a considerably more natural angle. Actually, could you imagine doing a lot of typing on an iPad? Do you know you health and safety, DSE type stuff? Extended use of something like the iPad could be quite debilitating (sp?).

* - I may have slightly exaggerated the ease .... :D
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............a laptop is too awkward and big to haul around the sofa or kitchen.... i think its worth the price but i imagine a lot of people wont!

Oh dear,you sound like you are trying to convince yourself, ,a Laptop is so really big and heavy ?, poor soul :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha well mine is! its 17' and a pain in the ass to lug about. its also uncomfortable resting it on my knees as it gets too warm meaning i've always got to have a table around to use it. the pad is so much handier to deal with.

regarding typing... as i said you definitely wouldnt do any amount of real work on it.. its not designed for that... you could fork out the extra cash for a bluetooth keyboard but then you've basically made it into a netbook.

wifi has been fine so far.. no issues... i've connected to my works router, to the airports router, to various friends routers and my own without any problems.... i'd read all the problems reported previously and had been a bit wary about it but i've not come across any issues yet.

it IS a luxury item. if you dont have a proper computer or you need to get a new one then dont buy this - it WILL NOT REPLACE YOUR COMPUTER! but if you've got the cash and think the mobility aspect of it is something you'd value then wait till they get it in the stores and give it a test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    ... at a considerably more natural angle. ... :D

This is one of my main concerns with it. When I use my laptop on the sofa it sits on my knee making the screen easy to view without having to hold anything, and then when I move to the kitchen I can sit it on the counter and still easily see the screen. With an iPad I'd have to be holding it all the time, hard to make a cup of tea/ cook one handed.

I like the concept of a multi purpose eBook reader, but the iPad fails on that as well, as the screen (apparently, I haven't seen one) is not great for reading on for prolonged periods. If the iPad had a dual eink/ led(lcd, don't mind which) screen I would happily buy one.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was playing some game on my itouch the other day (the last reason I still did not give it away :D ) and got offered some programme both for ipod and ipad, ipad's price was 5x the ipod price :eek: Five times more for what essentially is an ipod app with a facelift. I see ipad as a luxury item. It could be great for web browsing, but given Steve's flash phobia, it's far from optimal.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People think that browsing on an ipod touch or iphone is incredibly difficult however I fail to agree. I can sit for hours using it instead of my laptop. I agree with the previous poster who said get an ipod touch instead.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    This is one of my main concerns with it. When I use my laptop on the sofa it sits on my knee making the screen easy to view without having to hold anything

this is the thing on the sofa me laptop is set in a position I like, with a ipad you got to hold it in a position you like.

my laptop is new and hardly any heat (compared to old laptop) and quick to boot and I got a spare hand free, where with a ipad you got to hold with one hand and browse with other, with laptop I got onehand free which I can lean on while on sofa/bed etc.

but I am getting one as you can jail break it (busy downloading tons of apps for nowt) but its what apps are comming as there a new OS release in fall

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20005249-1.html

, so they may not bother till then and no killer apps about, so it may be worth waiting

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/05/17/clamcase-brings-bluetooth-keyboard-to-ipad/

but they are bringing out a case that turns ipad into laptop/netbook but its just more ££££
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »
    People think that browsing on an ipod touch or iphone is incredibly difficult however I fail to agree. I can sit for hours using it instead of my laptop. I agree with the previous poster who said get an ipod touch instead.

i'm not a fan of web browsing on the iphone. not enough web sites are optimised to work with the screen size and its just a pain in the ass having to pan across to read the text all the time. in my opinion browsing with the pad is a lot more of a comfortable, natural experience than that of the phone or touch,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sima wrote: »
    this is the thing on the sofa me laptop is set in a position I like, with a ipad you got to hold it in a position you like.

my laptop is new and hardly any heat (compared to old laptop) and quick to boot and I got a spare hand free, where with a ipad you got to hold with one hand and browse with other, with laptop I got onehand free which I can lean on while on sofa/bed etc.

but I am getting one as you can jail break it (busy downloading tons of apps for nowt) but its what apps are comming as there a new OS release in fall

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20005249-1.html

, so they may not bother till then and no killer apps about, so it may be worth waiting

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/05/17/clamcase-brings-bluetooth-keyboard-to-ipad/

but they are bringing out a case that turns ipad into laptop/netbook but its just more ££££

if you're just sitting in a chair or sofa you dont need both hands to use the pad.... it just sits on your lap like a magazine would. b
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're just sitting in a chair or sofa you dont need both hands to use the pad.... it just sits on your lap like a magazine would. b

:confused: so sits on your lap pointing at the ceiling? how is that comfortable to then read? When I read a magazine I hold it up in my hands, as I assume I would have to with the iPad.

I would see the iPad as a more; use on the move device when you're standing up a lot and moving about. As it is light etc.. so good for this, but as soon as you sit down/ stand near a desk I personally think a laptop would be better where you can angle the screen to your viewing angle and then have both hands free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends how you sit, I sit so I can prop a magazine up in front of me, which I can't do with a laptop.

I find laptops really hard to get comfortable with anywhere other than on the floor or sitting at a table though, I think it's what's best for you and how you want to use your technology in the end.
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pros:- It looks nice

Some Cons:-

All the WiFi issues that plague the 1G iPad together with the other inconveniences such as no flash, no BBC iPlayer compatibility etc. Also whilst relaxing using my laptop I can use both hands to type while resting the laptop of my lap but with the iPad I suppose I'll either have to sit it a funny position so as to lean the iPad against some part of my body ( I noticed watching the iPad Keynote presentation Steve Jobs had to sit with one leg crossed over the other at some acute angle so as to rest the iPad against it. I don't think I'd like to sit like that for very long!!) or use one hand to continually hold it which after a while could become tiring.

So all in all the iPad just looks like an expensive gadget with limited functionality but to the Apple "dedicati" it can do no wrong ;)

Just in case someone accuses me of being anti-Apple this is from someone who has 2 iMacs a MacBook Pro and a few iPods :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people happy with their laptops should think themselves lucky. They'll save a fortune. :D

Personally, since typing accounts for probably 5% of my web browsing I can't see that being a hinderance.

If man can go to the moon, I'm sure I will find a way of being able to comfortably use the iPad on my lap. The case folds over into a wedge shape so I'm sure that will help.

More importantly, I like the concept of actually holding a web page in my hands and interacting directly with the page. I find it very natural on my iPod to the extent that quite often I will attempt to drag things on my laptop. :)

Unfortunately, the iPod screen is a little small for my eyes so a big iPod will be great.