Options

New Centre Right Party

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If coalition government is going to become more normal (and if there's a yes vote in the referendum then it will), wouldn't the Conservatives be advised to "assist" the creation of a second centre right party.

Currently, we are seeing the problems of centre right and centre left parties trying to work together. So, if there was a second centre right party, the Conservatives would be able to create a coalition with like minded MPs. (And I'm not talking about UKIP).

As it stands we have one centre right party and a significant number of centre left parties in Parliament if you include the nationalist parties.

Comments

• Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    But the Conservative party just wouldn't be the same without its 'rabid right' :D
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    If coalition government is going to become more normal (and if there's a yes vote in the referendum then it will), wouldn't the Conservatives be advised to "assist" the creation of a second centre right party.

Currently, we are seeing the problems of centre right and centre left parties trying to work together. So, if there was a second centre right party, the Conservatives would be able to create a coalition with like minded MPs. (And I'm not talking about UKIP).

As it stands we have one centre right party and a significant number of centre left parties in Parliament if you include the nationalist parties.

Hmm, I think we actually need a proper centre-left party, as bar the Greens, there isn't one at the moment.

The Liberals are certainly not a 'centre-left' element of the Coalition; why, their very own drum beaters on here have been at pains to tell us that since the orange book revolution, there's not a smidgen of that evil leftiness remaining in the Lib Dems.

Labour have got their work cut out if they want to convince anyone that they've moved back to the centre-left after the Blair era. It could happen, but it'll take a long time, and will have to resist the brow-beating from the 'proper' left, who all seem to be emerging after an 16 year hibernation period.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    But the Conservative party just wouldn't be the same without its 'rabid right' :D

The Tories seem determined to move to the left, so I think it's time for the 'real' Conservatives to walk away and set up a party that would appeal to proper Conservative voters.
    Cameron was making all the right noises before the election (immigration, HRA etc) but he's been compromised by the LibDems. The worst thing is he seems quite happy about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I think we actually need a proper centre-left party, as bar the Greens, there isn't one at the moment.

I'm not sure I'd describe the Greens as centre-left. As I understand it, the GPE&W is well to the left of other Green parties on mainland Europe (Die Grünen - Bundnis '90 is rather more centre-left). GPE&W is probably as 'left' as one can get and still be in the Green group of the EP, as opposed to GUE/NGL.
    The Liberals are certainly not a 'centre-left' element of the Coalition; why, their very own drum beaters on here have been at pains to tell us that since the orange book revolution, there's not a smidgen of that evil leftiness remaining in the Lib Dems.

A massive overstatement, if not an outright misrepresentation, I feel!

What has been said, as far as I know, has largely been in counterpoint to claims that the Lib Dems were entirely a centre-left party, and has been to stress the point that - whilst of course there is a significant centre-left segment in the party - that does not describe the entire party membership, that there are many different shades of opinion in the party and that it doesn't do to try to neatly piegon-hole it as a centre-left party. Quite a few Lib Dems would, I believe, describe themselves as not centre-left, but centrist; a few others might describe themselves as centre-right, but I think it is relatively few.

Personally, though, I don't think that 'centre-left' is the right place for the Lib Dems. I think it should be once again aiming for that 'radical centre'.
    Labour have got their work cut out if they want to convince anyone that they've moved back to the centre-left after the Blair era. It could happen, but it'll take a long time, and will have to resist the brow-beating from the 'proper' left, who all seem to be emerging after an 16 year hibernation period.

I wouldn't have thought it'd take all that long, myself - Labour pretty much has a blank canvas to work with, now that the chief architects of the New Labour project are pretty much out of the picture. I think their problem, if they go too far to the left, is pretty much the same as the Tories' problem if they go too far to the right - it'll turn off the electorate.
  • Options
    ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Britain needs its own version of the Tea Party

I am too right wing to love a Cameron led conservative party but not vile enough to consider the BNP and UKIP are just a single issue party

What this country needs is a right wing party that will stand up for hard working taxpayers, tackle the immigration crisis, stand up for Britain against EU bureaucrats that want more and more of our money and who try impose their laws on us, a party that will ruthlessly scythe its way through the welfare budget, conservatives won;'t do that

Right wingers are politically homeless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    The Tories seem determined to move to the left, so I think it's time for the 'real' Conservatives to walk away and set up a party that would appeal to proper Conservative voters.

If this coalition were to result in the Tory Right choosing to march off into the outer darkness, the Lib Dems' decision to join it will have been well and truly vindicated, IMO. However, I fear that this would be wishful thinking.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose this all depends on where you see the parties in terms of centre, centre left/right or whatever. However I would think many people's view is a coalition goverment is about compromise between the politics of the centre left and the centre right. I fail to really see what the purpose is of a coalition between two parties of the centre left or the centre right or how the Tories would benefit from ano party of the centre right which would draw a significant number of voters away from them.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am too right wing to love a Cameron led conservative party but not vile enough to consider the BNP and UKIP are just a single issue party

What this country needs is a right wing party that will stand up for hard working taxpayers, tackle the immigration crisis, stand up for Britain against EU bureaucrats that want more and more of our money and who try impose their laws on us, a party that will ruthlessly scythe its way through the welfare budget, conservatives won;'t do that

As are the Left mate, they only support Labour because the Greens are a one-trick pony and because even though Labour are just a Tory clone are not Tory in name. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, but without the influence of the religous right which has hijacked american centre right politics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I suppose this all depends on where you see the parties in terms of centre, centre left/right or whatever. However I would think many people's view is a coalition goverment is about compromise between the politics of the centre left and the centre right. I fail to really see what the purpose is of a coalition between two parties of the centre left or the centre right or how the Tories would benefit from ano party of the centre right which would draw a significant number of voters away from them.

The issue is that as there are so many centre left parties and no other centre right parties the Conservatives will be locked out of office by left coalitions as they'll refuse to work with them. Leftists may welcome this but it's hardly good for democracy for just one political idealogy to be in power for decades and decades. We need the change every now and then to create balance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The issue is that as there are so many centre left parties and no other centre right parties the Conservatives will be locked out of office by left coalitions as they'll refuse to work with them. Leftists may welcome this but it's hardly good for democracy for just one political idealogy to be in power for decades and decades. We need the change every now and then to create balance.

As a counterpoint to that, though, I'd offer that such a scenario contains its own built-in antidotes.

Firstly, I think that any threat of eternal "centre-left" coalitions would invariably have the effect of driving more moderate voters, over time, more towards the "right" end of the political spectrum.

Further, moderate Conservatives, faced with the possibility of eternal exile to the opposition benches, might start to wonder whether it was any longer worth staying in the same party as the Tory Right. Under such circumstances, it might be possible for a separate, moderate Conservative party to emerge, that could attract more centrist votes and be sufficiently compatible with the Right and/or a moderate centre/centre-left party to form a reasonably stable Government.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are only 3 parties that attract enough votes to be involved in a coalition government that has any prospect of surviving very long. The present coalition shows the Lib Dems even though many in their ranks may be uncomfortable with it will work with the Conservatives and the converse is true. How successful this government proves to be may well determine what mood the electorate are in for another coalition government much more than the option of ano centre right party to vote for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eugh...no thanks, I'd like to think we're a more civilized people than the crazy, inbred, illiterate, racist ,homophobes shouting about how they are somehow getting 'trampled on' by 'big governments' whilst supporting the GOP (irony clearly lost on them).

Bunch of chauvinistic, ignorant sheeps.

The fact that their head-figure is Sarah Palin speaks volumes.

Why on earth would you want that backward politics, here? :confused:
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    As are the Left mate, they only support Labour because the Greens are a one-trick pony and because even though Labour are just a Tory clone are not Tory in name. :D

That's a bit unfair, you can't exactly accuse a party of being one trick when they haven't any parliamentary power at all.
    thedrewser wrote:
    The issue is that as there are so many centre left parties and no other centre right parties

Tory and Labour (our only two relevant parties to date) have always been flip-flopping between centre-right and centre-left politics - to suggest there is no centre-left or centre right politics in this country is absurd.

If anything we need a truly left-wing party (the right-wing have the BNP, and perhaps UKIP).

The Green's and Lib Dems are the closest thing, except the former won't get in power because of our political system, and the later is proving to be a bunch of hypocrites like Labour.

It's all rather depressing. :D
  • Options
    ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Eugh...no thanks, I'd like to think we're a more civilized people than the crazy, inbred, illiterate, racist,homophobes shouting about how they are somehow getting 'trampled on' by 'big governments' whilst supporting the GOP (irony clearly lost on them).

Bunch of chauvinistic, ignorant sheeps.

Why on earth would you want that backward politics, here? :confused:

That's a bit unfair, you can't exactly accuse a party of being one trick when they haven't any parliamentary power at all.

Nowhere did I say I support Sarah Palin I just gave the Tea Party as an example of citizens standing up and saying they are not going to take any more.

A right wing party that fits somewhere between the conservatives and the BNP would be popular
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It may be unfair but it is true.

UKIP have the EU issue
    BNP have the Immigration issue
    Greens have the Environment issue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowhere did I say I support Sarah Palin I just gave the Tea Party as an example of citizens standing up and saying they are not going to take any more.

A right wing party that fits somewhere between the conservatives and the BNP would be popular

That's a bit ambiguous though, the gap between conservatives and BNP is huge.

UKIP have the EU issue

All of them have manifesto's detailing policy for many other area's, one trick pony argument just doesn't hold water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would think a party Centre-Right or Centre-Left that didn't suck up to the EU, the banks, the US and listened to the needs of it's own citizens that wasn't ran by plebs who went to Oxbridge would probably be fairly popular.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BNP are the far left so fitting in between them and the Tories wouldn't be very difficult.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good - I'll lend you a cardboard box. The last thing we need is anyone who is going to 'ruthlessly scythe its way through the welfare budget'.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely if we had yet another centre right party the middle ground is going to get awfully congested?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of them have manifesto's detailing policy for many other area's, one trick pony argument just doesn't hold water.

...much of which is a general mixture of more-of-the-same and motherhood-and-apple-pie to fill in the blanks and disguise the lack of any real policy in any other areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    ...much of which is a general mixture of more-of-the-same and motherhood-and-apple-pie to fill in the blanks and disguise the lack of any real policy in any other areas.

You could say that about any and all political parties, Labour and Tory included.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member

Ron Paul is the figure they respect, surely?

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The referendum is on AV, not PR, so a yes vote is not likely to lead to more coalitions. In fact it might lead to even larger majorities for Labour.

We already have three centre right parties. Why do we need another one?
  • Options
    raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

UKIP have the EU issue

True, but I guess every party have an ethos.
    Tories have the conservatist issue
    Lib Dems have the liberalism issue
    Labour have the?.....considering how muddled their ideology is, who knows?