Survivor 30 - Worlds Apart

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh bad elimination as it's weakened the whole story in that tribe. Vince was built up as a longer storyline. Now unless there's a big change in the tribe the next two eliminations would be predictable. We didn't see Will talk to Vince after the challenge which seemed strange. If Will is weak physically he really needs to get an alliance behind him and not break any potential alliance for himself up.

I also thought the plan to split the votes was very weird and made no sense if there were 3 on the other side, so maybe Will was always against Vince even though he says he likes Nina and Nina and the girls really don't get on at all. And Nina seems to have had a sympathetic edit and Jen not which suggested Jen could be in trouble.

So I thought there was something a bit off in the editing with this elimination. And you can't really class it as a blindside because Vince knew he was a target. The blindside hashtag seems to be used for even things that aren't these days. Maybe the viewers were blindsided more than the players.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I totally thought Jen would go.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »

But I still have to say a huge wtf at the white collar tribe getting flint to start fire just because they turned up at tribal council.

That's traditional (at least every series I can remember). They get to take their torches back to camp after tribal and bring them lit to future tribals
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not new to Survivor and some seasons earlier on there wasn't that 'tradition'. Anyway not all traditions, new or old, are always kept up. Also my point was that the winning teams won a reward that the losing team also got.

Anyway with the latest episode I think they focussed on that Will and Nina conversation for a twist in the storyline, as I said Will may already have been on the other side.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not new to Survivor and some seasons earlier on there wasn't that 'tradition'. Anyway not all traditions, new or old, are always kept up. Also my point was that the winning teams won a reward that the losing team also got.
    I agree it makes the reward meaningless. I think this is made worse by the fact that it's a combined reward / immunity challenge - so they get fire on the same night as everyone else.
    Anyway with the latest episode I think they focussed on that Will and Nina conversation for a twist in the storyline, as I said Will may already have been on the other side.
    Yeah I think when you said "Maybe the viewers were blindsided more than the players" you hit the nail on the head. Though i don't mind them getting creative with the edit to be honest. If it means I'm surprised by the outcome then I enjoy it a lot more
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the losing tribe has received flint at their first TC since pre-All Stars seasons. Definitely not a new thing.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the last vote, while I do agree that every single No Collar player made a bad move, the split vote makes a little bit of sense if you read Vince's post-show interviews.

Vince said that he told Joe and co that Nina had the idol, that she had shown it to him, so that explains why Joe was so adamant that they had to split the vote in case Nina played this so called idol. However, surely if you are that sure that Nina had the idol then just pile all the votes on Vince? Yes, you might end up losing a strong challenge performer but at least there is less risk involved and you still keep control of the numbers.

Instead the only person that knew what was going on at TC was Will due to Nina stupidly telling him what Vince said. If Will didn't swap his vote to Vince then Jenn was going home for sure. So Joe, Jenn and Hali lucked out because now they have the numbers and Will is outside as a fourth, with Nina completely on the outskirts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said it was a new thing anywhere, that's completely irrelevant to my points.

As for Vince, he got blindsided so I don't see why we should trust his view of what happened compared to others. Splitting the vote still seems stupid, though maybe they realised they were up against such stupid opposition they could do that anyway.
  • troynuncdicittroynuncdicit Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I never said it was a new thing anywhere, that's completely irrelevant to my points.

k so then what's the point of bringing it up and being "wtf why did they get flint" and then when people try to politely explain it, you just get all defensive and go "OKAY I KNOW THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS I'M NOT NEW TO THE SHOW!!!" ???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
    boring week.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    A predictable boot but all tribes seem to be a bit of a mess. The focus is almost entirely on personalities rather than strategy at the moment.

I found Nina to be a bit sour but then the tribe removing her from the challenge highlighted that there was an issue there. But that doesn't really matter now since she's gone.

I can see Blue Collar staying intact until merge and then completely imploding (like Tandang from Philippines).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A predictable boot but all tribes seem to be a bit of a mess. The focus is almost entirely on personalities rather than strategy at the moment.

I found Nina to be a bit sour but then the tribe removing her from the challenge highlighted that there was an issue there. But that doesn't really matter now since she's gone.

I can see Blue Collar staying intact until merge and then completely imploding (like Tandang from Philippines).

And this cast was SO boring compared to Cagayan and SJDS
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one enjoying the emphasis on personalities and camp life more than strategy? Having just one challenge per episode means I've already gotten to know this cast a lot more than the previous season's. IMO a strong episode and a very good season so far. Wasn't an expecting a 2 hour special next week, any particular reason?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Oh I am enjoying it. I liked the bits with Jenn and Hali surfing and Shirin watching the monkeys getting it on. You start forgetting that they get to live in what many would consider luxury, nice to see some of them embrace it.
    Though the rest of White Collars attitude to Shirin's excitement was a bit miserable.

I wouldn't say the cast is boring, but I don't really have anyone to root for, which is great really because I won't mind what happens. Let them tear eachother apart mwahaha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a really boring episode, apart from Rodney's blow up which was funny. Even the challenge was strangely short, carrying a bucket of water and that was it. At least the losing tribe weren't given a tarp as well. Can't say I like Will or Jenn much. Joe seems ok. Hali is getting a non-edit which made her vote apart the rest of her side puzzling, or was it some tactic they had? I assume that will be explained. It was like it was something just to make us second guess ourselves for a second at tribal, putting off the predictable for just a few seconds longer. All we heard at tribal pretty much ended any hint of uncertainty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a really boring episode, apart from Rodney's blow up which was funny. Even the challenge was strangely short, carrying a bucket of water and that was it. At least the losing tribe weren't given a tarp as well. Can't say I like Will or Jenn much. Joe seems ok. Hali is getting a non-edit which made her vote apart the rest of her side puzzling, or was it some tactic they had? I assume that will be explained. It was like it was something just to make us second guess ourselves for a second at tribal, putting off the predictable for just a few seconds longer. All we heard at tribal pretty much ended any hint of uncertainty.

Indeed. The dynamic was non-existent. Each tribe had an obvious dead weight which would be first voted out after losing the IC.

I might be the only one who was interested in TAR 26 more than Survivor 30.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tribe where they could be preparing for a turnaround is the white collar one. Tyler is shown as being in control, so the edit could go down the storyline of him changing the target from Shirin to someone else.

The blue collar tribe seems to be making Mike the next to go and yet I find him likeable, I'd rather Rodney, or maybe even better one of the women who haven't really featured, went instead.

On the no collar tribe the story seemed to be about Nina's deafness but the fact that she was the oldest was probably a big part in it. So that made it a pretty normal Survivor elimination of the oldest, that's why the editors probably wanted to concentrate on the deaf story instead.
    Forum Member
    Oh I am enjoying it. I liked the bits with Jenn and Hali surfing and Shirin watching the monkeys getting it on. You start forgetting that they get to live in what many would consider luxury, nice to see some of them embrace it.
    Though the rest of White Collars attitude to Shirin's excitement was a bit miserable.

I wouldn't say the cast is boring, but I don't really have anyone to root for, which is great really because I won't mind what happens. Let them tear eachother apart mwahaha
    I guess for me, those bits are what I loved about Survivor to begin with. No Collar tribe gives me Pagong vibes which is nice to watch (the lizard bit was amusing too) - whether their seemingly carefree spirit spells disaster for their chances post merge remains to be seen. However, something is telling me Jenn in particular is going to go very far and that the carefree approach has its limits with her. She's quite charming but clearly unafraid to stick the knife in when she has a reason to distrust someone. Plus she's got what looks like a very solid alliance with Hali. I have a feeling that even if No Collar gets decimated, they will make it far perhaps even to the very end if they can work their way in with one of the other tribes. Joe on the other hand is screaming a first-boot post merge unless he scores a HII or goes on an immunity challenge streak. That could well be his narrative though.

I'm also watching Max Dawson with interest. He hasn't had much airtime but what airtime he has had has been about how well he knows the game. He seems to be flying under the radar quite successfully for now though.

I could dissect further but despite a predictable boot, this is IMO one of the most intriguing seasons so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyler's edit is really interesting. He is clearly playing for the win. He and Carolyn will go far. And I think so will Jen and Joe.

The girls apart from Lindsey were invisible. And I absolutely hate those macho guys so I wanted them all gone pre-merge or pagonged post-merge :D
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh I wish they would vote out Will. He is whiney and totally screwed up his / Nina / Vince's games.

Now if they lose again he is gone.

Nina was annoying but I did kinda like her.

Carolyn / Tyler seem contenders to me. Blue Collar seem a hot mess but they keep winning. I dislike them all though. I like Dan most and thats saying a lot lol.

No Collar, I like Hali / Joe / Jenn I can see them 3 being a solid alliance till the end.
    Forum Member
    But didn't Vince say when he was voted out he was planning to sell out Will and Nina anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they are all planning to sell out each other eventually, that's the game. I don't see how Will would be extending his stay with the other side though, but we'll see I suppose.
    Forum Member
    Actually, I can see how Will would do well post-merge, he would be seen as non-threatening in terms of winning immunity and he seems to be ok at his social game. I could be wrong though. Its still too early to call but I think Will made the right decision for his own survival in getting rid of Vince. If anything, it was Nina that blew her own game by exposing what Vince said to Will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will is a non-factor. I don't think he can last till post-merge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG Max and Shirin. Disgusting

Just go.