Options

American Sniper bit disapointed....

emnatemnat Posts: 1,734
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....considering this was directed by Clint Eastwood and all the hype that came with the movie.

Also was it me or were all the babies in the movies clearly dolls!!!?? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant. Bradley Cooper was fab too.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant. Bradley Cooper was fab too.

ditto. Just finishing Chris Kyle's book which I recommend.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    emnat wrote: »
    ....considering this was directed by Clint Eastwood and all the hype that came with the movie.

Also was it me or were all the babies in the movies clearly dolls!!!?? :confused:
    I saw a funny clip of it somewhere. Apparently the baby and backup were both ill or something and they didn't have time to find a replacement so used a doll.

Just think of all the money spent on the movie and the cast salaries and then they use an obvious doll in what are supposed to be emotional scenes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ditto. Just finishing Chris Kyle's book which I recommend.

It was very sad what happened :(
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very sad what happened :(

Was the fact court proceedings were still ongoing the reason for the anticlimatic ending?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. I found it tense and engrossing, and Bradley Cooper did a great job.

Seeing that it was directed by Clint Eastwood lowered my expectations if anything. If we were talking about Clint Eastwood 10 years ago I'd have been hyped, but his directorial work since then has been a little 'up and down'... Having said that, this is his best work since Million Dollar Baby.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Good film but you can see why Americans get themselves in such messes in war zones, who the hell allows their men to talk on a phone, whilst their meant to be working.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very biased, the American's were all great and the Iraqi's were all evil. The woman & child at the beginning? Evil. The man who took them in and fed them? Oh no, he's also evil. Also the majority of the people that Chris Kyle killed in real life were unarmed civilians, he was no hero.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Good film but you can see why Americans get themselves in such messes in war zones, who the hell allows their men to talk on a phone, whilst their meant to be working.

My thoughts exactly - they were being shot at, diving into abandoned buildings and he's talking to his wife on the phone!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I thought it was very biased, the American's were all great and the Iraqi's were all evil. The woman & child at the beginning? Evil. The man who took them in and fed them? Oh no, he's also evil. Also the majority of the people that Chris Kyle killed in real life were unarmed civilians, he was no hero.

Uh? so giving your young child a hand grenade to use is not evil, it's the highest of evils, at least have the guts to do it yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Was the fact court proceedings were still ongoing the reason for the anticlimatic ending?

He was still alive when the filming was completed if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Bib is not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh? so giving your young child a hand grenade to use is not evil, it's the highest of evils, at least have the guts to do it yourself.

I'm saying every Iraqi character was portrayed as a baddie while all the American's were the good guys. Chris Kyle in real life was basically just a racist who took pleasure in killing the Iraqi people, innocent or not. If you read his book you'll see how he has no remorse as portrayed in the film and he refers to them all as "savages".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm saying every Iraqi character was portrayed as a baddie while all the American's were the good guys. Chris Kyle in real life was basically just a racist who took pleasure in killing the Iraqi people, innocent or not. If you read his book you'll see how he has no remorse as portrayed in the film and he refers to them all as "savages".

He killed terrorists
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He killed terrorists

You do realise that not every Iraqi is a terrorist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do realise that not every Iraqi is a terrorist?

Of course not but the people Chris Kyle shot were terrorists.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You can't really have remorse as a soldier, especially as a sniper as thats pretty close to murder in a sense.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, it was a very black and white movie, no grey areas that real life actually exists in. but look at the audience it was made for, and it's no surprise it was made like that.

Saying that, I did enjoy the movie, though the direction wasn't particularly inspiring or inspired. That's Eastwood's style though, he just points a camera at something without getting all arty with it, which is fine if you're just interested in the story and not the whole cinematic experience. You do know what you're getting with him though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not but the people Chris Kyle shot were terrorists.

Not all of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't really have remorse as a soldier, especially as a sniper as thats pretty close to murder in a sense.

there's a difference between turning off your remorse so you can cope and actively enjoying doing it.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does that really happen?
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I saw a funny clip of it somewhere. Apparently the baby and backup were both ill or something and they didn't have time to find a replacement so used a doll.

Just think of all the money spent on the movie and the cast salaries and then they use an obvious doll in what are supposed to be emotional scenes :D

Yeah that was so low rent :D
  • Options
    emnatemnat Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Yeah that was so low rent :D

Big mistake on their part, that was the only thing I could think about.

Why do a multi million pound movie and use dolls! It just made it seem less real. Especially when he is in a moral dilemma whether to shoot and kill a child when he has small children at home (dolls lol)
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I agree, it was a very black and white movie, no grey areas that real life actually exists in. but look at the audience it was made for, and it's no surprise it was made like that.

Saying that, I did enjoy the movie, though the direction wasn't particularly inspiring or inspired. That's Eastwood's style though, he just points a camera at something without getting all arty with it, which is fine if you're just interested in the story and not the whole cinematic experience. You do know what you're getting with him though.

A little update on my comment - I've just started reading the book the movie was based on, and even though i'm only a few pages in, it's very apparent that Chris Kyle did see the world in very black and white terms - those people are good and those peope are evil, no grey areas, not much thought into why those "evil people" are doing what they are doing, or even enough self awareness to realise that the people he thinks are evil probably consider him be part of the "evil people" not one of the good guys. It's a very simplistic view of the world in general, though probably a necessary one in order to do such a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Does that really happen?

I would imagine so, the average American infantry man is quite poor in military terms