Options

Tesco to ban Capri-Sun from shelves in War on Sugar!

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2015/07/24/sugar-debate-rages-tesco-pulls-ribena-and-capri-sun-aisles
“We want to help our customers make healthier choices and that’s why we have pledged to continue to cut sugar from the food and drink on our shelves,” a Tesco spokesperson told The Drum.

“From September all the Children’s juice drinks we sell will have no added sugar in them because we know it’ll make a positive difference to children’s health.”

So Tesco or the first to truly cave in to the health lobbyists. But its for the good of our children, why not eh.

Tobacco style health warnings on McDonalds, Cola etc are coming sooner than you think!

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for them, for children's sake and anyone else's.

Do you enjoy forking out for the ever rising costs of the resultant health care of people who consume junk like this? More bans are needed. Tobacco users more than pay for theirs and others health care.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Ribena was considered almost a health drink when I was a youngling.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not ban sugar then? It's 100% sugar!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Fascism for you!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tidosho wrote: »
    Why not ban sugar then? It's 100% sugar!

If someone started selling sugar cubes as "treats for kids" then there would be calls for it to be banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    If someone started selling sugar cubes as "treats for kids" then there would be calls for it to be banned.

Yes and that's the reality of this health destroying tooth rotting junk.

Manufacturers have got away with this for far too long.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 50 stone and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so. To me, that’s beautiful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 50 stone and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so. To me, that’s beautiful.

You enjoy paying for people to do that? When taxation on junk reflects the costs of health care I'll agree with you.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    So Tesco or the first to truly cave in to the health lobbyists. But its for the good of our children, why not eh.

Tobacco style health warnings on McDonalds, Cola etc are coming sooner than you think!

I'd rather have drinks sweetened with *real* sugar in moderatioin rather than sweetened with other chemical substitutes.

I tend to buy Capri-Sonne anyway... ;-)

Thank goodness for B&M and Poundland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(That is not the point of this country)

Regardless, you are still free to do the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Manufacturers have got away with this for far too long.
    ...and they will still get away with it. Its all token efforts by an industry petrified of regulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    You enjoy paying for people to do that?

The NHS doctors and nurses waste loads of money on treatments that aren't needed. Nobody seems to mind paying for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The NHS doctors and nurses waste loads of money on treatments that aren't needed. Nobody seems to mind paying for that.

I think you will find they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (That is not the point of this country)

Regardless, you are still free to do the above.

We don't need the nanny state chiding us for eating too much sugar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you will find they do.

Then why all the crying about sugary drinks? Go save £2.3 billion immediately by stopping all the unneeded xrays and treatments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't need the nanny state chiding us for eating too much sugar.
    Looking at the obesity epidemic I think the government should take some action. I appreciate its unpopular but it is a serious problem and its growing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at the obesity epidemic I think the government should take some action. I appreciate its unpopular but it is a serious problem and its growing.

Controlling people should not be the action they take
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then why all the crying about sugary drinks? Go save £2.3 billion immediately by stopping all the unneeded xrays and treatments.

Who is crying?

I would be happy to stop all unneeded xrays as well.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It's their shop so they can refuse to sell whatever they want.

From what I recall they are rip off anyway there is barely a egg cup full in each packet.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I take it they are removing all fruit juices and cakes as well?

We hardly ever drink squash drinks but when we do,, I never buy the ones with any sweetners in them and its hard to find ones now that dont have some artificial sweeteners in them. We tend to drink sparkling water and fresh lime sliced into it but sometimes I like a lemon barley or something, very difficult to find it without the god awful oversweet but bitter taste of sweeteners.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    ...and they will still get away with it. Its all token efforts by an industry petrified of regulation.

... and let's face it, Tesco wouldn't be doing this if it meant losing money. ;-)

The calorie content of soft drinks has been falling faster than in any other market segment for the past few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controlling people should not be the action they take

Is having minimum ages for alcohol and cigarettes "controlling people"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is having minimum ages for alcohol and cigarettes "controlling people"?

Kids should be controlled

Adults shouldn't be told what to eat or drink
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids should be controlled

Adults shouldn't be told what to eat or drink

I think they should be told what to eat or drink.

The national illness service should refocus its efforts and become the national health service.