Questions to ask potential new flatmates?

Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a few people lined up for a flatshare with me. This is the first time I have done something like this.

Can anyone advise as to what kind of questions I should ask people?

J

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you currently live?
    Why are you leaving that flat/house?
    Do you smoke?
    How will you be paying your share of the rent?
    Will I awake at dawn to find you straddling me, axe held aloft with a maniacal expression on your face?
  • joe2-snjjoe2-snj Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would ask general questions and find out what type of lifestyle they will bring to the house as it will affect you quite a bit.Depending on what type of person you are you may want the one who is similar to you or the complete opposite.

Whoever you pick, choose one with the least nasty habits :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they in steady employment - are they going out with anyone (could result in their boyf/girlf being around some of the time)

Can they provide you with a ref from an ex landlord
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks. :)

I don't want to ask the wrong type of questions... Been living by myself for almost 2 years so this is all very nail bitting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ask if they hoover manically at 6.45am waking up the rest of the house, because they have a friend popping round for a cup of tea at 7am.

seriously I had a housemate who used to do that...regularly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always ask if they are pathologically insane.

If they have a history of killing flatmates.

And if you fancy them, ask if they mind sharing a shower.

Glad to be of help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Watch the start of "Shallow Grave" the night before, that should give you a few pointers.

If some bloke who looks like Keith Allen turns up the next day .... don't even let him in!

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Ask what they believe their duties will be around the house.

My friend lives with me and I find that it's always me doing the household jobs even though it's just as much her duty as it is mine.. it does my head in but I never know how to bring it up without making a fuss.

It's best to clarify these things BEFORE they move in.. you should be more fortunate in the fact that a lodger won't be a friend so it doesn't matter if you fall out or owt. :)
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Do they have any pets!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have any noisy nocturnal habits?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what kind of music do they like/do they like going out? (may give an indication of music thumping from there room at godawful hours or them rolling in pissed out their heads at random hours slamming cupboards shut and dropping a frying pan whilst they try and make a bacon butty)

what do they do (for a job) and what are their hobbies (do they workout/have a hobby requiring them to be out a lot?) - some people want flatmates that won't be there much, some want to make new friends
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you plan to have sex in the kitchen sink with the bloke you picked up over the pub half an hour ago ?

Have you, or are you planning to, fall out with a female colleague at work ( due to shagging her husband ) ?

If so, is she likely to spend the next three months phoning the flat number over and over ad nauseum from 1 - 4 am every night and then hanging up immediately ?

If so, are you going to get out of your pit and answer the phone or are you going to just ignore it so that your pathetic flatmates have to get up and do so ?

Are you going to watch out of the window waiting for your flatmates and their boyfriends ( or worse, mothers ) to come home and then arrange yourself suggestively on the settee, legs akimbo, fanny on show for all to see, pretending you are asleep ?

( delete / tick as appropriate )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Watch the start of "Shallow Grave" the night before, that should give you a few pointers.
    :cool:
    And then watch "Single White Female" :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Macaroni wrote: »
    Will I awake at dawn to find you straddling me, axe held aloft with a maniacal expression on your face?

LOL, I'll remember that one for the future *giggle*
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Are you going to watch out of the window waiting for your flatmates and their boyfriends ( or worse, mothers ) to come home and then arrange yourself suggestively on the settee, legs akimbo, fanny on show for all to see, pretending you are asleep ?

( delete / tick as appropriate )

Now THAT is an odd one.
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I immediately thought of Shallow Grave too:

"So tell me, Cameron, what on earth -- just tell me, because I want to know -- what on earth could make you think that we would want to share a flat like this with someone like you?" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask if they are on DS. And if they shop in tesco, or are they going to help with stuff like that doing the shopping etc.