BBC Africa: Eye to eye with the unknown

Comments

• TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Only just watched the recording of the dying elephant scene last night. Yes, nature is cruel and unforgiving and needs to be shown but I thought this was just overdone to shock. Worse still they repeated it at the end with an explanation and justification.

I can just see the producer saying - yeah that will shake up all those smug middle class climate change deniyers and their privately educated kids in Surrey, leave it in in full!
  • bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which EPISODe is the dying Elephant on 1 or 2?

Great series

Hope to see some Crocs and Hippos on the Zmbezi River in a future episode.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which EPISODe is the dying Elephant on 1 or 2?

Great series

Hope to see some Crocs and Hippos on the Zmbezi River in a future episode.
    Episode 2
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    Very boring episode tonight.

So, one cameraman treks through the jungle for 8 weeks,losing two stone in weight, to film a particular chimp. Another clings to a tree all night while an angry elephant tries to knock him out of it.
    Picathartes is filmed for the first time ever.
    And somehow they persuade a fifteen-foot python to let them film her kids hatching.
    And it's too boring for you?
    Next week maybe they should just film a couple of dogfights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched all 3 episodes i think ep 1 is the best so far. 2 and 3 were good but i just loved ep 1 with that amazing shot of all the animals at the waterhole. The comedy scenes as well in that ep were priceless-

the drongo tricking the Meerkats
    The male Rhino's terrible mating skills leading to the female having to pretend to be asleep in order to get rid of him!
    The Squirrell dropping its nut when it saw a leopard staring at it!
    The leopards clumsy attempts to steal the dead dear from the tree while a bird watches in fascination.

and the drama with the giraffe fight. the horror movie bit with those hideous crickets and the amazing cartwheeling spider.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I can just see the producer saying - yeah that will shake up all those smug middle class climate change deniyers and their privately educated kids in Surrey, leave it in in full!

Actually it's the liberal Guardian readers who are smug and middle class and they tend to be eco warriors, not 'climate change deniers' as you put it.

And I disagree with your view anyway. I don't see what's wrong with the team explaining their stance at the end - I thought there wasn't anything wrong with the approach anyway. It comes to something when the BBC even has to justify showing nature as it really is due to the emotional correctness of the British these days.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just ordered the book on amazon :D Will get the DVD too.

The elephant(s) was just heart-breaking.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it's the liberal Guardian readers who are smug and middle class and they tend to be eco warriors, not 'climate change deniers' as you put it.

That's as much a stereotype as the view you're countering.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Having watched all 3 episodes i think ep 1 is the best so far. 2 and 3 were good but i just loved ep 1 with that amazing shot of all the animals at the waterhole. The comedy scenes as well in that ep were priceless-

The male Rhino's terrible mating skills leading to the female having to pretend to be asleep in order to get rid of him!
    The leopards clumsy attempts to steal the dead dear from the tree while a bird watches in fascination.

and the drama with the giraffe fight. the horror movie bit with those hideous crickets and the amazing cartwheeling spider.
    Fully agree. Ep3 didn't cath my attention at all for some reason :confused:
    Although I did find the first shots of the monkey using a tool to get the honey interesting.

Reminded me of an older Attenborough prog of a chimp using tools to crack nuts but they could only do it if they learnt it from a young age. Older chimps that didn't learn when they were young just couldn't work out how to do it.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »

You forgot the cartwheeling spider! That was comedy genius :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Episode Four preview
    Southern Africa is a riot of life and colour because of two great ocean currents that sweep around the continent's Cape.

To the east, the warm Agulhas current generates clouds that roll inland to the wettest place in southern Africa. To the west is the cold Benguela current, home to more great white sharks than anywhere else. Moisture laden fog rolls inland, supporting an incredible desert garden.

Where the two currents meet, the clash of warm and cold water creates one of the world's most fabulous natural spectacles - South Africa's sardine run. This is the greatest gathering of predators on the planet, including Africa's largest, the Bryde's whale.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening All - getting very stressed for all those poor turtle babies.....
  • eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening. Go, little turtlings. Female being dragged off to the lair of the villainous ghost crab like a silent movie heroine.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning photography as usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunning photography as usual.

Isn't it? Those shots of the butterflies are gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do the male butterflies do afterward? A **** and a can of beer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Isn't it? Those shots of the butterflies are gorgeous.

Not to mention bloody difficult! Have you tried to follow a butterfly with a camera and keep it in focus?

A job for the insane!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh - how long had that carcass been bobbing about in the sunshine? It was looking pretty manky.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch! Poor sweeties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat penguins falling over - Always funny! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they take a quick dip in the water to cool off and then come back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly OT, but does anyone else's cat like watching this? Our cat sits up and gazes in fascination when Africa comes on. In fact she just got up on her hind legs when the baby penguins were cheeping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beetle Sex!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HA HA Typical blokes out for sex end up in a fight and lose the female! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly animal alert! :D