Yahoo Mail Accounts currently being hacked

Comments

• heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I would like to add some more points to this subject:

1. I was hacked on Monday after receiving mail daemon failure notices in my inbox. I immediately changed my password. They had sent emails to all of my contacts
    including people at my local gym (some of them I did not think I had contacted) I have deleted most of these contacts from my Yahoo contact list.

2. I notice when you send an email to someone new in YAHOO they can get added to your contact list without you knowing. You have to go into your yahoo mail settings and change this option.

3. I have Kaspersky Internet Security on my computer at home.

4. I was worried about Key Logging devices being put on my Machine I did a Kaspersky virus Scan (I have done three this week) - nothing has come up so far. How do you know if you have a key logger on your computer. Will Kaspersky Detect this on your computer ?

5. Has any Yahoo user who has been hacked changed to another email provider? If so which is the best?

6. After reading this subject - I know now how to check my Yahoo Log in Times and so far I know my account has been tampered with again How often should I check this?

7 I still get alot of Spam (Things like Online Poker, PPI Claims, Ladbrokes, bigger breasts etc) How do I reduce the amount of Spam I get.?

8 How easy is it to change to a new email provider and transfer your emails over?

Most of the answers you require are in the previous posts from other members.

I don't think that this situation is down to the keylogging of the odd computer. This is a massive worldwide failure of security of Yahoo Mail Accounts.

I posted that someone I knew had been hacked two days running. I think that until this crisis is over you should check the integrity of your mail account first thing every morning.

You can't stop spam whilst your email address is active. You can divert to a spam folder or block it. My Outlook Account used to get shedloads of spam every day until someone got arrested in Eastern Europe...now my Outlook Account is spam-free.
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    in point 6, are you saying that your account has been tampered with AGAIN, AFTER you changed your password on Monday.

if so, that is very worrying, as it means the hackers still have access to current paswords.
  • bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually that is a typing error - It has not been tampered with again - sorry.

So far (from Monday) all the login details on my yahoo account have been from two computers which I use (my home and work computer)

So far so good

I have been checking my login activity evrey two hours
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it is relevant, but I often wonder about the number of email stories/jokes/photos, etc that constantly "do the rounds", sometimes for years. Most people don't seem to bother to delete details of previous names and addresses, which means goodness knows where & to whom these end up.

What do others think?
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is relevant, but I often wonder about the number of email stories/jokes/photos, etc that constantly "do the rounds", sometimes for years. Most people don't seem to bother to delete details of previous names and addresses, which means goodness knows where & to whom these end up.

What do others think?

They inadvertantly provide more victims for the spammers I'm afraid. They are a nuisance because your email address is, without your permission, being circulated all over the internet.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plugs13amp wrote: »
    in point 6, are you saying that your account has been tampered with AGAIN, AFTER you changed your password on Monday.

if so, that is very worrying, as it means the hackers still have access to current paswords.

I was first hacked on 9 March by someone in Belarus. I changed my password (a couple of times, as some of the messages took time to arrive, so Yahoo blocked my account twice).

Having read the above posts, I see that my account was accessed again on 15 March, by someone in the Netherlands, so will change my password yet again. I don't know what, if anything, this last user did.
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I was first hacked on 9 March by someone in Belarus. I changed my password (a couple of times, as some of the messages took time to arrive, so Yahoo blocked my account twice).

Having read the above posts, I see that my account was accessed again on 15 March, by someone in the Netherlands, so will change my password yet again. I don't know what, if anything, this last user did.

Worrying that it's still continuing :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry guys in case I have unnecessarily caused panic. I was away on the 15th and used another computer to log on. This PC was not in The Netherlands, but the user has Sky broadband... :confused:
    Forum Member
    Sorry guys in case I have unnecessarily caused panic. I was away on the 15th and used another computer to log on. This PC was not in The Netherlands, but the user has Sky broadband... :confused:

You caused panic ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only knew my email - yahoo - had been tampered with when Yahoo notified me that someone had been trying to change my password, but is there any way to actually check for hackers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I only knew my email - yahoo - had been tampered with when Yahoo notified me that someone had been trying to change my password, but is there any way to actually check for hackers?

You can see, after the event, what has happened by going into Account Info., then slecting "View your recent sign-in activity". This lists the Recent Login Activity.

At the moment we are hoping that Yahoo is sorting out their problems and will end up being even more secure than other providers (who knows if they will succeed?). Your account could however be attacked (presumably) though your PC, so your protection against that is the usual anti-virus software etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can see, after the event, what has happened by going into Account Info., then slecting "View your recent sign-in activity". This lists the Recent Login Activity.

At the moment we are hoping that Yahoo is sorting out their problems and will end up being even more secure than other providers (who knows if they will succeed?). Your account could however be attacked (presumably) though your PC, so your protection against that is the usual anti-virus software etc.

Thank you.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    I would like to add some more points to this subject:

1. I was hacked on Monday after receiving mail daemon failure notices in my inbox. I immediately changed my password. They had sent emails to all of my contacts
    including people at my local gym (some of them I did not think I had contacted) I have deleted most of these contacts from my Yahoo contact list.

2. I notice when you send an email to someone new in YAHOO they can get added to your contact list without you knowing. You have to go into your yahoo mail settings and change this option.

3. I have Kaspersky Internet Security on my computer at home.

4. I was worried about Key Logging devices being put on my Machine I did a Kaspersky virus Scan (I have done three this week) - nothing has come up so far. How do you know if you have a key logger on your computer. Will Kaspersky Detect this on your computer ?

5. Has any Yahoo user who has been hacked changed to another email provider? If so which is the best?

6. After reading this subject - I know now how to check my Yahoo Log in Times and so far I know my account has been tampered with again How often should I check this?

7 I still get alot of Spam (Things like Online Poker, PPI Claims, Ladbrokes, bigger breasts etc) How do I reduce the amount of Spam I get.?

8 How easy is it to change to a new email provider and transfer your emails over?

4. Depends if it knows what it is and if anything more difficult has got in. Try installing Malwarebytes http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/view/security-software/malwarebytes-anti-malware-39282203/ and run that and if you still feel insecure try SuperAntiSpyware too http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Nothing is perfect though. It would be useful if yahoo would actually tell how its happening - have they been hacked , has someone sold passwords, is there something on people's computers stealing passwords or is there something being spread by people opening something in thespam....???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I logged on to my yahoo account this morning it came up with the following screenshot

(see Link)

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_GB&id=SLN2053&impressions=false

Did anyone else have this problem this morning

I have then changed my password a couple of more times
    (Just In case the mail site was fake)

Before I changed my password originally I had problems getting into Yahoo Messenger

Did anyone else have these problems today?

Advice needed
    Forum Member
    Did you report to Yahoo that you had been hacked a short while ago. If you did then this might be nothing more than Yahoo making sure you changed your password.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I did not report to Yahoo - I just changed my password.

I have changed my password several times since.

What is the email address of Yahoo to contatct them about this. ?

I tried to phone the Yahoo contact no - 0870 352 2000 but I can't get through> I spent 1 hour on the phone

Does anyone have another contact no?
    Forum Member
    No I did not report to Yahoo - I just changed my password.

I have changed my password several times since.

What is the email address of Yahoo to contatct them about this. ?

I tried to phone the Yahoo contact no - 0870 352 2000 but I can't get through> I spent 1 hour on the phone

Does anyone have another contact no?

Yahoo Contact Info:

http://pressroom.yahoo.co.uk/pr/ycorpuk/company-address.aspx

As it appears to be so easy to hack into Yahoo Mail Accounts, I don't think that the link you provided above is any form of phishing. Why would a hacker go to the trouble of knocking up a fake Yahoo page and mailing it to you when they can bypass your login anytime they choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Yahoo Contact Info:

http://pressroom.yahoo.co.uk/pr/ycorpuk/company-address.aspx

As it appears to be so easy to hack into Yahoo Mail Accounts, I don't think that the link you provided above is any form of phishing. Why would a hacker go to the trouble of knocking up a fake Yahoo page and mailing it to you when they can bypass your login anytime they choose.

That (the link) was the page I got directed to when I tried to log in this morning.. My system could not even log me into Yahoo Messenger or yahoo. I was just concerened because I was asked one of my two security Questions.

I have managed to get hold of someone in Yahoo and she says it could be a delayed reaction from Yahoo to when my account started sending out Spam Emails on the 11 March.

I have changed my Password twice and I have checked my Yahoo Logins. All of those seem to come from my work Machine and Home Machine. So far so good.

Maybe Yahoo have found out which accounts have been hacked in the last few weeks and are re-directing these users to the Password Re-set page (Link that I sent previously)

I am going to keep a very close eye on my yahoo account for suspicious activity from now on

There was a news item on Yahoo emails being hacked on the Channel 4 news on March 21
    Forum Member
    That (the link) was the page I got directed to when I tried to log in this morning.. My system could not even log me into Yahoo Messenger or yahoo. I was just concerened because I was asked one of my two security Questions.

I have managed to get hold of someone in Yahoo and she says it could be a delayed reaction from Yahoo to when my account started sending out Spam Emails on the 11 March.

I have changed my Password twice and I have checked my Yahoo Logins. All of those seem to come from my work Machine and Home Machine. So far so good.

Maybe Yahoo have found out which accounts have been hacked in the last few weeks and are re-directing these users to the Password Re-set page (Link that I sent previously)

I am going to keep a very close eye on my yahoo account for suspicious activity from now on

There was a news item on Yahoo emails being hacked on the Channel 4 news on March 21

Yahoo are somewhat slow to react to your original hacking. Suggests they wanted to keep a lid on this problem.

Thanks for the tip about Channel 4:

http://www.channel4.com/news/yahoos-email-system-hacked-by-criminal-spammers
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can add my BT account the the hacked list and i had a strong password, and i haven't even used the yahoo email for years. Mine was logged in from America last night and loads of spam sent. We only found out because my wife got an email sent to her work account and she gets her email on her phone.

It looks like they are bringing in double authentication
    http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_GB&page=product&y=PROD_ACCT

Edit: They should add double authentication more like, that mobile number is just to recover a stolen account, which i've done now.
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure that all users of Sky email accounts will be looking forward to switching over from Google to Yahoo as their email server.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Hotmail account (using the new outlook) was hacked this morning, This is a day after my father called me to tell me his btopenworld email had been hacked. When I googled the text in the email that was sent to all my contacts there was a 5 page thread on Microsoft support about it with many people being hacked in the last 24 hours or so. Something very weird indeed going on.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-wlsecurity/hotmail-sent-its-own-email/d794baac-86f2-4ae5-8d1e-ab4c5eb359b8

I am fairly security conscious, have random letter/number passwords, have up to date virus/malware detection and fully updated windows.
    Forum Member
    Lojen wrote: »
    My Hotmail account (using the new outlook) was hacked this morning, This is a day after my father called me to tell me his btopenworld email had been hacked. When I googled the text in the email that was sent to all my contacts there was a 5 page thread on Microsoft support about it with many people being hacked in the last 24 hours or so. Something very weird indeed going on.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-wlsecurity/hotmail-sent-its-own-email/d794baac-86f2-4ae5-8d1e-ab4c5eb359b8

I am fairly security conscious, have random letter/number passwords, have up to date virus/malware detection and fully updated windows.

To be honest what more could you have done other than switch to snail mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 News wants everyone hacked to tweet their technology producer Geoff White

https://twitter.com/geoffwhite247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have sent Geoff White an email last night.

After changing my password a few times I have seen no suspicious log ins on my account but I am still worried.

I have asked him to try and contact yahoo to see if they are
    asking users who have been affected to change their password when logging on.

Hopefully Geoff can help

It is so hard to contact YAHOO by phone they just don't seem intrested and I cannot find an email address to send a query to them.