Daily Telegraph app: any good on Android?

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Already have an iPad in the family, and use it to do the Daily Telegraph crossword via Newsstand. Have been wondering whether to get my own e-reader to take on holiday but since those that have tablet functionality are Android based, not sure whether I would end up with an inferior version of the Telegraph?

I'm not a big fan of the paper, just like doing the crossword, so being able to enter the answers on the tablet's screen would be essential. Anyone know if it's as good on Android as on iOS? I'd probably go for the Kobo Arc if I did get an e-reader, had a play with one in WH Smith and it looks OK.

Comments

• Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Not a Telegraph fan myself but I have looked at Google Play and no Telegraph app appears for any of the three Android devices we have, which therefore suggests that there isn't one.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Not a Telegraph fan myself but I have looked at Google Play and no Telegraph app appears for any of the three Android devices we have, which therefore suggests that there isn't one.

That probably answers my question. The Telegraph's web site says that there is one, and links to this page: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.telegraph.android but it gets a lot of bad reviews. Possibly it's aimed at Android phones rather than tablets?
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, the only place I could install it was onto my phone. For my Nexus 7 and Motorola Xoom it appears to be incompatible which goes with your belief it is for phones only.

On my phone I got a few headlines but was then asked to subscribe. I'm afarid I couldn't get any further as I didn't want to subscribe to be honest. Can't therefore comment but as you mentioned in your original post I can't imagine the crossword is available but who would want a crossword on a phone anyway?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, the only place I could install it was onto my phone. For my Nexus 7 and Motorola Xoom it appears to be incompatible which goes with your belief it is for phones only.

On my phone I got a few headlines but was then asked to subscribe. I'm afarid I couldn't get any further as I didn't want to subscribe to be honest. Can't therefore comment but as you mentioned in your original post I can't imagine the crossword is available but who would want a crossword on a phone anyway?

Exactly. So it looks like the Kobo Arc wouldn't be as much use to me as I hoped.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegraph app available on Kindle Fire now, so I guess Android too. It includes access to crossword, seems pricey at £9.99 pm.