Is spotify premium worth getting?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been thinking of getting it for a while but I've read mixed reviews on sound quality. how much better is it compared to the free one?

Comments

• chris_paulinchris_paulin Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the sound quality is great when you select the highest quality streaming setting which I believe is 320k OGG format. Compared to free you will be able to listen on more devices and lift restrictions applied to the mobile apps. Adverts are also removed. You can also download playlists so you can listen out and about without hammering your data allowances.

If you listen to music often it's worth 9.99 as you can dip in to pretty much anything
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three of us have premium which works out at little over £7 each. Well worth it
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The month free trial come up just after i posted that. What's extreme quality? Do i have to do anything before switching to the higher quality like clearing cache?
  • chris_paulinchris_paulin Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extreme quality is the 320k option. It wouldn't do any harm clearing the cache but I think the higher quality kicks in from the next track played.
  • emsquareemsquare Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Premium is currently free to try for 60 days. I get intrigued as to which platform offers the best audio for Spotify as Apple devices stream AAC/AAC+ whilst other platforms vary between ogg and mp3 depending on desktop or web app. Either way it sounds good to my ears.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    iTunes AAC sounds a lot better than whatever encoding is Spotify using even at so-called extreme quality. Apple Music looks like it's going to be the big winner to me.
  • Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »
    iTunes AAC sounds a lot better than whatever encoding is Spotify using even at so-called extreme quality. Apple Music looks like it's going to be the big winner to me.

If you are in the Apple eco-sphere. I will try the 3 month trial but will only switch if the service is also made available on Sonos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been on Spotify and listened to my music when suddenly ads came on which was a bit of a shock considering I'm on premium. It says listen without limits and get premium. Not sure what's going on.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently took out the 60 days trial and will probably sign up afterwards.
    On my mobile devices the things about the free version that I don't like are albums are only played in shuffle mode and the ads every 6 songs.
    On my PC however I had no ads and albums were played in order. Not sure why .

For £10 a month if you like music then it is great. I was unsure before but really like it.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trainer99 wrote: »
    I will try the 3 month trial but will only switch if the service is also made available on Sonos.

Coming the end of the year :)
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I've moved from Apple Music to Spotify.

I think its ridiculous that on subscribing to Apple Music, you have to make the decision whether you want to listen to your music locally on the device itself or use the streaming service for offline downloads. Choosing the streaming service means you can no longer manually sync your own music to the iPhone/iDevice.

At least with Spotify you can keep your local files completely seperate with those that you've synced offline with Spotify.

I also really didn't like the Apple Music interface, far far too cluttered - the playlists were naff, as were the radio stations.

Spotify accepting PayPal as a means of payment is the added bonus - and the fact I can use it on my PC, Android phone, iPod Touch, PS3, Amazon FireTV stick, Roku box .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you join on trial does it continue unless you cancel? I assume that is why I'm getting ads because its gone back to free.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    When you join on trial does it continue unless you cancel? I assume that is why I'm getting ads because its gone back to free.

It continues until you cancel as long as you have a valid payment option setup
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    It continues until you cancel as long as you have a valid payment option setup

So why does say get premium when ive already signed in and there are ads?