A Different Type of Cafe

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A cafe that costs 6p a minute and the food is free. What do you think of such a cafe? Have you been to such a cafe?

My Shop: '6p a minute' cafe thrives in north of England

Comments

• Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really interesting idea. I can't imagine they make so much profit as I think people in an hour could easily consume more than £3.60s worth of food, drink and WiFi? But then maybe not as it says there are multiple branches.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are called Ziferblat cafes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess this type of cafe will not catch on then.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as someone who nurses a Starbucks coffee for an hour, I think this a terrible idea ;)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a really good idea - and if the profit margin starts to drop, install a wrong-direction travelator in the new half-mile corridor between the tables and the food counter and re-brand it as a 'coffee, cake, and fitness experience'.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I do my studying in a coffee shop or cafe I will buy maybe a drink and a slice of cake then spend several hours there. So 6p x 130 is £7.20 probably what I would have spent (if anything maybe a little bit more). I dare those ahuge majority of those who use this cafe would be similar to me. There will always be abusers just like there are those who eat more food at an all you can eat restaurant. It's making a profit so it must work
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this would be perfect for me, I spend 20-25 minutes in my cafe so my breakfast would cost less than £2, how bad? :cool:

I think I'll try and talk my local cafe owner into it, though I can guess his second word will be 'off' :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as someone who nurses a Starbucks coffee for an hour, I think this a terrible idea ;)

Maybe terrible for you but good for people who want the seat you are occupying! :)
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    When I do my studying in a coffee shop or cafe I will buy maybe a drink and a slice of cake then spend several hours there. So 6p x 130 is £7.20 probably what I would have spent (if anything maybe a little bit more). I dare those ahuge majority of those who use this cafe would be similar to me. There will always be abusers just like there are those who eat more food at an all you can eat restaurant. It's making a profit so it must work

One hopes you're not studying mathematics. :p:D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    it's O.K.! You can not be paid less than 7.20 an hour, even if you have brain of squirrel...
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »

Whoops that's a typo there! Should be 6p x 120 :blush:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly because of ration/feast theory, I doubt it would work.
    When every people have been on rations and are then given a feast, they will binge because they fear it won't be there again.

Once they've started to trust the feast will always be there, they start to ration themselves better and not feast.

But by the time that happens the damage has been done and the feast provider is out of business.

I also suspect like 'All You Can Eat Buffets' that the food will be stodgy and filling.