Options

What is your "worst birthday" story?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mine got to be when I was 8 someone stealing my football stickers and me crying.

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where I had to stop just floating around in the womb doing piss-all and had to face a hideous dystopia.

I cried, you know.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtually every birthday in my teens went wrong for me - torn ligaments, missing dogs, locking myself out of the flat whilst dressed as puss in boots... I tend not to celebrate any more. It's tempting fate.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Probably the one when my grandfather died. I remember struggling to blow out the candles on my cake between deep, grief-filled sobs. I feel a bit silly mentioning it after reading of the primal pain of you football stickers story, but the memory has haunted me ever since.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I had two, one after the other\;

1) When I was four, I came out with chicken pox on my birthday and because it was too late to cancel my party, I had to stay upstairs whilst everybody else had fun downstairs!

2) When I was five, I went round to the neighbour to thank them for my present, fell over and smashed my knee and shin on their rockery stones - blood everywhere - I still have the scars. It was also my first day at school, so I went in covered in bandages....
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't celebrate birthdays.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer on my birthday. My auntie also died on my birthday. On my sister's 18th birthday, our grandma died.

My partner: two of his friends were hit by a car and died while taking a shortcut when walking home from his 18th birthday party.

We don't do birthdays.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer on my birthday. My auntie also died on my birthday. On my sister's 18th birthday, our grandma died.

My partner: two of his friends were hit by a car and died while taking a shortcut when walking home from his 18th birthday party.

We don't do birthdays.

Do you live in a soap? Good lord. I can understand why you don't.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A downside of having a May birthday was that I didn't get a chance to celebrate the "big" birthdays, I had a A-Level (chemistry I think) on my 18th, with another the day after. My 21st was on a Friday in the middle of my degree finals. We went to the pub to "celebrate" my 21st straight after that morning's exam, but we all fell asleep in the corner. We woke about 5pm and had another pint then called it a day as we had another exam first thing Monday that needed a lot of revision for.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We don't do birthdays.

That's terrible.No wonder you don't do birthdays.They must bring back some dreadful memories.

I hope you can find other times of the year to enjoy.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    enudzio wrote: »
    Mine got to be when I was 8 someone stealing my football stickers and me crying.
    Sad story. Hope your 9th birthday is a lot happier!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Just one year when everyone forgot. I hid a smile all day, thinking there was a conspiracy going on and they were all pretending. I thought there might be a surprise party later or they were all playing some sort of joke on me, but no, they all forgot.

They've never forgotten since >:(
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ninth birthday - it's hard to enjoy your birthday when you've got chicken pox.
  • Options
    bahbahbahbah Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it is my bday, travelling all the way to Padstow for r8ck stein restaurant ending up in some basic b& b& too unwell to appreciate lobster & mussel so at the stein
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was once jammed in my mother's birth canal for 22 hours on my (zeroth?) birthday. I don't remember it, thankfully.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    My 21st was good but the following morning was a nightmare. Had a great house party, was all a bit mad - I must have lost my key when clubbing, so I was locked out of the house.
    Luckily I stayed at my then boyfriends house on the night but when I got home the horrible realisation that I was locked out struck me.

That morning my flatmates were all in lecture (boyfriend included) so I sat and waited in the porch for about 4 hours til my flatmate turned up. I lived in the deep countryside so there was nowhere (a cafe etc) to hang about. Those 4 walls of the porch felt like they were closing in on me - never was I so happy to see my flatmate.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Spent my 40th birthday at home, alone, and on-call for work. I had tried to switch being on-call with the only other person who was able to cover, but he was celebrating the end of Ramadan and that took precedent.

Just to cap things off, there was a "post-card" from Royal Mail waiting for me - went to the local sorting office to pick up a birthday card from mum. But she hadn't put a stamp on it, so I ended up paying something like £2.10 for my own birthday card.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why people are told bad news on their birthday, can't the news wait for just a day? If I found something out that would destroy a child or even a person I knew, I'd let them celebrate for a day before I unleashed hell upon them.

I honestly can't remember most of them, was either too young or too drunk.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where I somehow ended up looking after everyone's kids whilst they got drunk and played crazy golf. >:(
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Not my birthday, but I was at an 18th birthday party for twin girls I had grown up with, and my mate (who was pissed as a fart) decided to pick up their huge and fantastically-made birthday cake (before it had been touched). It was on a wooden board. He lost his balance. It slid off the board and ended up in a crumpled heap on the pub carpet.

Not good.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My worst birthday, was just the once, having to celebrate on my own - one of the few times in my life, I have felt alone...
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year I have a shit birthday where I end up spending it on my own not talking to anyone because they're all too busy or forgot. One day of the year when my friends really show me what they think of me 😒 It is my birthday tomorrow, I really can't wait 🙄
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    Sad story. Hope your 9th birthday is a lot happier!

:D...
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Don't really do much on my birthday, but when I was 10 I ended up in A&E after the front wheel of my new bike slid out on some gravel, I went over the handlebars and face planted.

My 30th was a washout too. I overdid some party supplies before I went out, whited out when I went to get in the taxi and then spent the rest of the night on the porcelain telephone to God. To top it off all my mates went out and than rang me up at about 3am letting me know what an amazing night I'd missed >:(

Still, they're a lot better than my mate's 18th. We went out the night before (his birthday was a Sunday) and he ended up tripping up on the way back from the bar, landed on the bottle he was carrying, and as he stood up he realised he had big piece of glass stuck through his forearm. He spent the first few hours of his 18th in surgery while it was removed and the damage repaired (I think he actually went through the artery IIRC).
  • Options
    John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 30th this year. I was in hospital and had been there for nearly a month. I was (and still am) very poorly and I considered jumping out the window and ending it all. :(
    Thankfully, whilst I'm not better in terms of my health problem, I'm now in a much happier mental state now I know what I'm dealing with. :)
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being born.