Options

OH is being stingy about the heating

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Says is not time for the heating to go on.

But the problem is I like the windows open for fresh air so it is quite chilly.

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Are we married to the same person?
    Do you get told to put more clothes on?
    :)
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Mrs Nodger has a blankie round her legs as we speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we married to the same person?
    Do you get told to put more clothes on?
    :)

Yes, always being told Im dressed 'inappropriately' for the weather. (and that I wear 'stupid' shoes if we're out for a walk and I dont want to get muddy).

Later, he'll offer me a blanket.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Everyone seems different when it comes to heat. I hate the central heating and am still under my 4 tog summer quilt yet some people I know are under a 15 and 13 already and it's only mid October.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not one of these people that likes it on all the time, as I say the windows are open all the time, I dont mind it a bit fresh. Its not likely I have it above 20, or 21 at a push when its really cold, some people have it on 23 or 24!

However, its always the same that Im told to layer up. I dont want to sit here looking like a a mountain climber
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Says is not time for the heating to go on.

But the problem is I like the windows open for fresh air so it is quite chilly.

How wide do you open your windows? I have mine in my bedroom open, in the kitchen and in my computer room, but only a little bit.
    I do tend to put more clothes on if I am cold and will only put the heating on if I really need to, but then I live alone.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    Everyone seems different when it comes to heat. I hate the central heating and am still under my 4 tog summer quilt yet some people I know are under a 15 and 13 already and it's only mid October.

i only ever use a 4 tog quilt,
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even with windows shut it's time for the heating to come on, it's cold! I've had the electric fire on every day when I've got back from work. Luckily my hubby is in agreement!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are rich put on the heating when you want.
    If you are poor put on some fleece pj's from Primark.
    If we are in UK when it is cold ......
    Me - I put the pj's on as I hate to waste money - I can afford the CH but don't particularly like it on as it is stifling. OH is a coldy but make him wear more clothes.
    When he goes out during the day I open the door but as soon as he is home he shuts it.

At the moment I am in Spain at 22.30 with the door open - sat here is a thin cotton dress and will be going to bed to sleep under a thin sheet. :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    Well you won't feel fresh with the heating on - you'll dry up!

I have had my fire on every evening for the last week or so but I try to use the heating as little as possible (couple of times a week at most) but theres an order to it.

Open the windows less
    Extra clothing
    Fire
    Heating is always last
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    How wide do you open your windows? I have mine in my bedroom open, in the kitchen and in my computer room, but only a little bit.
    I do tend to put more clothes on if I am cold and will only put the heating on if I really need to, but then I live alone.

They're all open upstairs. Not as wide as they can go, but not just a sliver either as it doesnt let the air in enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boniver wrote: »
    Even with windows shut it's time for the heating to come on, it's cold! I've had the electric fire on every day when I've got back from work. Luckily my hubby is in agreement!

Electric fire?? My god, even I might baulk at that, that costs a bomb
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had the heating on for about two and a half hours this evening. Far to long....
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electric fire?? My god, even I might baulk at that, that costs a bomb

I don't know why I said electric, it's actually gas! Not sure if that makes it cost less than electric or not.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Yes, always being told Im dressed 'inappropriately' for the weather. (and that I wear 'stupid' shoes if we're out for a walk and I dont want to get muddy).

Later, he'll offer me a blanket.

:o
    It is the same man!!!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i only ever use a 4 tog quilt,

We moved house last week and bought a king size bed, I went out at the last minute to buy a new duvet to fit it and they only had winter ones. I thought it might be ok because it's October. It's not ok >:(
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have this with OH but I persisted in threatening to leave him enough until he eventually backed down. Bottom line is, I don't work in a thankless job for 40+ hours a week to not spend my money on basic comforts, which I regard central heating as one of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a 9 tog pure wool duvet and I find with a cotton quilt over the top when it very cold its more than enough. Most of the time the quilt just lays folded at the bottom of the bed for decoration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have this with OH but I persisted in threatening to leave him enough until he eventually backed down. Bottom line is, I don't work in a thankless job for 40+ hours a week to not spend my money on basic comforts, which I regard central heating as one of.

I agree, its a basic. Its why we get upset about people being in fuel poverty because they dont have enough to heat their homes. Well if we do have enough (which we do thankfully) then we should put it on if we need it.

Mind you I dont like it on too much as others have said, it does dry things out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, its a basic. Its why we get upset about people being in fuel poverty because they dont have enough to heat their homes. Well if we do have enough (which we do thankfully) then we should put it on if we need it.

Mind you I dont like it on too much as others have said, it does dry things out.

Personally I find that 15/16 degrees is quite sufficient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I find that 15/16 degrees is quite sufficient.

In the summer that temperature is fine, in the winter and if its very cold outside that as an inside temperature would be way too cold.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boiler's knackered and my landlord's on holiday. Cold showers and no heating for me until the end of next week...

Mind you, I have a new place to move to, so HOPEFULLY I get to give notice not long after that either... can't wait to get out of this hole!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    Mrs Nodger has a blankie round her legs as we speak.

I did last night, didn't have trousers on and it was a bit nippy.

Tonight no blanket.

I don't put my heating on till at least 1st December. Waste of money heating the whole house for 1 person when a jumper works just as well.

Agree with the comments re duvets, I am still using my summer duvet too
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I don't know why people say it's only October or whatever when it comes to turning the heating on or putting on a warmer quilt.

It's not the time of year, it's the temperature that's the issue.

Tomorrow it's going to get down to around 7c, which is nearly frost level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In work, the type of folk who say they can't afford to put the heating on tend to have an endless parade of smart phones, change their car every year, redecorate every year, and go on at least one holiday abroad a year to sit around a swimming pool drinking for a week.