Options

Lucifer US pace

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a bit camp, isn't he.

It's silly but enjoyable, need some more back story though.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This buddy cop show version of Lucifer has only the most tenuous connections to Mike Carey's marvellous books. Somehow I doubt there'll be room for Elaine Belloc and Mona, Goddess of Hedgehogs.
    Sticking to the books would require a budget bigger than Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    This buddy cop show version of Lucifer has only the most tenuous connections to Mike Carey's marvellous books. Somehow I doubt there'll be room for Elaine Belloc and Mona, Goddess of Hedgehogs.
    Sticking to the books would require a budget bigger than Game of Thrones.

This is true :) I think this version is more in origin with Neil Gaiman's original Lucifer Morningstar in The Sandman comics though than those of Mike Carey's imprints.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    As for the episode, I enjoyed it but a lot of that is down to the fact that Tom Ellis is selling the suave and sophisticated gentleman ideal of the devil with just a hint of menace under the surface.....

......... the story itself was a bit poor but I don't mind it being a police procedural at the moment, there's enough odd little quirks for it to not feel too samey and it's only Episode 2.
    Completely agree. Episode 2 wasn't as good as episode 1, but Lucifer still makes me laugh out loud, and he's as charismatic as hell (pun intended). This could well become my new favourite show.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    The existence of this show just proves that it's moronic businessmen that control Hollywood and who should have absolutely no bearing on making creative decisions.

I love Tom in this role, BUT the show is just a hideous hideous mess in terms of conception.
  • Options
    Nick_BeedenNick_Beeden Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I suppose the element of Humour will be fine as long as they don't over do it, the biggest problem I see will be the competition from some well established shows that have loyal followings. I hop Lucifer gets the benefit of the doubt
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    It was probably more a dig at the very long-running comic book character, which has recently had a comic relaunched

No, it was a very knowing nod to the show as Lucifer shares the same studio lot up in Vancouver as Supernatural. There's even a picture of Jared and Jensen with the cast of Lucifer and Legends of Tomorrow underneath a banner welcoming the new "freshman" class to Vancouver from your "friends at Supernatural Season 11". Was a very deliberate line.

Anyway I enjoyed the pilot a lot but episode 2 didn't grab me at all and reviewers who were sent the first 3 eps found the same issues, Tom Ellis very good in the role but very dull cases of the week. I hope it improves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    No, it was a very knowing nod to the show as Lucifer shares the same studio lot up in Vancouver as Supernatural. There's even a picture of Jared and Jensen with the cast of Lucifer and Legends of Tomorrow underneath a banner welcoming the new "freshman" class to Vancouver from your "friends at Supernatural Season 11". Was a very deliberate line.

Anyway I enjoyed the pilot a lot but episode 2 didn't grab me at all and reviewers who were sent the first 3 eps found the same issues, Tom Ellis very good in the role but very dull cases of the week. I hope it improves.

I imagine episode 3 is all it gets before people decide whether it's good enough to continue.

Ellis is great but his shtick will get mighty old if there's nothing of substance behind it.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    I imagine episode 3 is all it gets before people decide whether it's good enough to continue.
    I'll concur with this. Here's hoping episode 3 isn't a mere repeat of the last two; solving a crime. Needs to be something more this time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'll concur with this. Here's hoping episode 3 isn't a mere repeat of the last two; solving a crime. Needs to be something more this time round.

It's unlikely to be, they've chosen a police procedural as the hook they're hanging Lucifer's story narrative onto.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well episode 3 was more of the same.

And yet strangely it's a bit like comfort food and I'm not going to ditch it just yet.

They must be doing something right.....barely :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »

And yet strangely it's a bit like comfort food and I'm not going to ditch it just yet.

Nooooooooooooo. Say it ain't so :(

That's rather depressing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was but we did get a bit more insight into Lucifer and what's driving him. Although this has only a bare resemblance to the original source material, I'm absolutely loving the whole vibe of the show.
    It's just fun and Lucifer definitely gets all the best lines. His jibe about Lucifake and denial being a river in Egypt both had me chuckling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whilst I still enjoyed this episode, surely, anyone who isn't directly involved in a police case would ultimately be arrested for pushing a suspect through a window, no?
    It's unlikely to be, they've chosen a police procedural as the hook they're hanging Lucifer's story narrative onto.
    The police procedural can only last so long though I think before his actual existence is called into question. There's that sub plot with that other angel in the background, and Mace/Maze; she hasn't done a lot yet, no doubt her involvement with the show will increase as the show progresses, thus turning it into more than a mere police show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I still enjoyed this episode, surely, anyone who isn't directly involved in a police case would ultimately be arrested for pushing a suspect through a window, no?

The police procedural can only last so long though I think before his actual existence is called into question. There's that sub plot with that other angel in the background, and Mace/Maze; she hasn't done a lot yet, no doubt her involvement with the show will increase as the show progresses, thus turning it into more than a mere police show.

I hope so, the wealth of material in the comics is enough to generate some brilliant story lines centred more around Lucifier himself which they can then wrap around the procedural. Unfortunately, it seems like they're doing it the other way round though and the police procedural is the main narrative.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an issue with shows like Lucifer. You need to make the cases they solve interesting. I often wonder if this is why Forever didn't do well. The immortal twist of the main character was great but it was essentially a bog standard crime drama with just a tiny supernatural twist.

Same with Almost Human and Minority Report.

Another upcoming procedural is due soon on FOX called Houdini and Doyle. But it sounds much better because I believe the cases they solve are of a supernatural nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it sounds much better because I believe the cases they solve are of a supernatural nature.

THIS is What we need! Something - anything - to elevate Lucifer from the mundane background on which it currently stands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same with Almost Human and Minority Report.
    Almost Human was great, though I think it failed, in part, because of the inconsistencies. Didn't the network release the episodes completely out of order or something?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost Human was great, though I think it failed, in part, because of the inconsistencies. Didn't the network release the episodes completely out of order or something?

They did, yeah
    Although to be fair, it never really failed in terms of ratings. It never went below a 1.5 in demo's but they simply had no room for it as other shows were doing just a bit better. I believe it deserved a second season to work out the kinks. I personally didn't think airing the episodes out of order made of difference. Even watching them in the correct order, it never made the quality any better.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they are using the Police procedural as a way to introduce his character to the cop lady. Then once she is introduced to Lucifer as who he is and the Supernatural world we start to see them solving more Supernatural crimes, perhaps while he is away people are escaping rom Hell. I dunno but I do think if it carries on as is, it won't last long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it entirely depends on what people are wanting from it. For me at the moment it's amusing enough and Tom Ellis is carrying the show on his charisma alone. If I didn't like him as an actor it would probably get stale a lot quicker though.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    I think it entirely depends on what people are wanting from it. For me at the moment it's amusing enough and Tom Ellis is carrying the show on his charisma alone. If I didn't like him as an actor it would probably get stale a lot quicker though.

Ironically, as a rule I don't enjoy Tom Ellis but in this show he's totally on the money portraying Lucifer. I can't think of anyone better to play this character.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    I wonder if they are using the Police procedural as a way to introduce his character to the cop lady. Then once she is introduced to Lucifer as who he is and the Supernatural world we start to see them solving more Supernatural crimes, perhaps while he is away people are escaping rom Hell. I dunno but I do think if it carries on as is, it won't last long.

The one glimmer of hope is that they are ramping up his abilities to the point that Decker can't easily ignore.

Like that she was looking up hypnotism as an explanation, but now she has to look up how he throws a 16 stone bloke through a window with one hand !!
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Tom is great in the role at the moment but I think he will also be great as an angry Lucifer too. The few glimpses we've seen I haven't thought "Oh god. He doesn't do angry very well" I think he'd be just as great doing that as he is as the charming devil on the shoulder.
    I also agree with the ramping up of abilities. In the first 2 episodes it come across as all he could do was hide his face and be a walking truth serum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one glimmer of hope is that they are ramping up his abilities to the point that Decker can't easily ignore.

Like that she was looking up hypnotism as an explanation, but now she has to look up how he throws a 16 stone bloke through a window with one hand !!
    F1etch wrote: »
    Yes. Tom is great in the role at the moment but I think he will also be great as an angry Lucifer too. The few glimpses we've seen I haven't thought "Oh god. He doesn't do angry very well" I think he'd be just as great doing that as he is as the charming devil on the shoulder.
    I also agree with the ramping up of abilities. In the first 2 episodes it come across as all he could do was hide his face and be a walking truth serum.

Agree with you both. They've hinted just enough I think at how devastating he could be if he lets rip with his anger and they're now starting to make Decker have to seriously consider if what he's saying just might not be true.