Options

People who call others "mate"

12346»

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Scotland, the old phrase was pal I.e. alright pal, but that has come to have a negative undertone I.e it means not my pal.

The term that seems to taken over is bud (short for buddy I assume). OK it is used in a more friendly context rather than pal but I don't like being called part of a bush or flour.

I actually would prefer something like .... I know - mate!
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    Here in Scotland, the old phrase was pal I.e. alright pal, but that has come to have a negative undertone I.e it means not my pal.

The term that seems to taken over is bud (short for buddy I assume). OK it is used in a more friendly context rather than pal but I don't like being called part of a bush or flour.

I actually would prefer something like .... I know - mate!

I don't mind 'buddy' I've actually used that term a few times myself.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind people calling me mate. They could call me worse things.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    This is something that really bugs me. I don't mind it so much if the person calling me "mate" is an actual friend of mine.

But it really bugs me if say, I order a take-away meal and the delivery guy calls me "mate".

Is it something that annoys anyone else?

...surely its better than being called 'bruv', 'buddy', 'me old mucker', 'pal', 'chief' or 'boss' though?!

I've been called all of these before...!!!!!
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man, near retirement age, who emptied my septic tank this morning kept calling me "my bird". It was clearly meant as a term of endearment and I liked it. I must be mellowing! :) It's the same when older people call me "love". It's nice.