Philips badged RTI95-500 (HDTP8530)

nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
Forum Member
I hope it's OK to discuss this machine here as I expect experience/support to be more relevant here than in the Philips PVR subthread.

I have installed the Philips in my parents' living room connected to a Samsung fullHD TV and an aerial feed.

I understood there was an Export video facility but with an 8GB Fat32 USB stick attached (verified accessible through the Media Player for Import/export of USB sourced media) in the recordings library with an SD programme selected, pressing the action/red button there is no export option listed. Is this disabled on this model or is there a trick to get it working?

Since the 19/09/12 EPG shuffle I've had to work out how to retune the PVR.

Reception has been poor. Father had the living room fed from the higher-output socket on the aerial distribution amp.
After viewing the signal level screen and observing 100% level but reduced quality on most mux, he mentioned possibly possessing an attenuator. In the event he moved the feed to a standard-level output on the amp and we now observe <100% level but increased quality readings.

A factory reset and obligatory auto tune leaves us with some BBC channels from Belmont (our region/transmitter is Sandy Heath). As there is no facility to remove individual channels this outcome is unacceptable. I spent an hour this morning working through a procedure to ensure only Sandy Heath mux are tuned.
This is it:
  1. Factory reset
  2. Begin the autotune procedure
  3. Immediately the HD channels are listed (HD mux for SH is UHF21) disconnect the aerial feed
  4. Allow the autotune to complete. Select the region and save the HD channels. Reconnect the aerial feed
  5. Now the manual tuning option is available, enter this (password required each time) and choose one of the SD mux frequencies and ensure DVB-T is selected
  6. Start the search then select region/save the channels. This dumps you back in viewing mode
  7. Repeat the last two steps until all mux have been scanned

Several times the box crashed at the start of the search (before the "channels found: 0" caption) and needed a power cycle before I could continue. It is not a fast box to boot from cold.....

I can find very little about these models online (other than the 1/2hour "reviews" which acknowledge the fine image quality and slow response), but are my findings typical of other users' experience?

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    I understood there was an Export video facility but with an 8GB Fat32 USB stick attached (verified accessible through the Media Player for Import/export of USB sourced media) in the recordings library with an SD programme selected, pressing the action/red button there is no export option listed. Is this disabled on this model or is there a trick to get it working?
    I can find very little about these models online (other than the 1/2hour "reviews" which acknowledge the fine image quality and slow response), but are my findings typical of other users' experience?
    Bump..
  • Blues &amp; twosBlues &amp; twos Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I haven't experienced any of your problems, although I have only had the unit for a week. Set up was simple, signal strength very good (Central Scotland) and all of the functionality (with one notable exception) seems fine. I should qualify that because I haven't tried to download to USB.

When I select BBC IPLAYER I get a blank (white) screen and nothing else. I have a sound Ethernet connection, with IP address allocated etc, however I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried rebooting and resetting to factory conditions.

I'll keep you posted of any developments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I haven't experienced any of your problems, although I have only had the unit for a week. Set up was simple, signal strength very good (Central Scotland) and all of the functionality (with one notable exception) seems fine. I should qualify that because I haven't tried to download to USB.

When I select BBC IPLAYER I get a blank (white) screen and nothing else. I have a sound Ethernet connection, with IP address allocated etc, however I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried rebooting and resetting to factory conditions.

I'll keep you posted of any developments.

anyone manage to sort this problem, i have white screen instead of iplayer and no info on net.
    Forum Member
    Sorry. I can't help. Still a white screen on BBC IPlayer function and no clues on the 'net or on Philips website about the cure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Dear all,

This is to confirm that the Philips HDTP does not offer any recording export feature. It is currently being investigated whether it can be added to the platform (via OTA broadcast), however, for the time being this can't be confirmed.

Unfortunately the iPlayer feature still has not been activated (as per the "catch up TV" sticker on the packaging) but as soon as it has been certified it will be activated via OTA software broadcast.

Further software improvements will contain speed enhancements (including a "quick boot" option) and a variety of usability enhancements.

Kind regards,

The guys from "Here to Help" ;-)
    Forum Member
    Dear all,

This is to confirm that the Philips HDTP does not offer any recording export feature. It is currently being investigated whether it can be added to the platform (via OTA broadcast), however, for the time being this can't be confirmed.

Unfortunately the iPlayer feature still has not been activated (as per the "catch up TV" sticker on the packaging) but as soon as it has been certified it will be activated via OTA software broadcast.

Further software improvements will contain speed enhancements (including a "quick boot" option) and a variety of usability enhancements.

Kind regards,

The guys from "Here to Help" ;-)

Thanks for that. Push on with it and keep us posted!
    Forum Member
    The firmware update is here
    As my PVR is the Philips variant HDTP-8530 I'll post my findings in the Philips sub-forum starting here.
    Forum Member
    A new firmware OAD today (and scheduled for a couple of weeks on the DTG website).
    V 2.4.0
    RTI95(320/500): New Software v2.4.0 release!

Dear RTI95 Freeview HD users,

We are very pleased to announce the official release of our new software version 2.4.0 for our RTI95 Freeview HD range. This software will replace the previous v2.1.0 version that Sagemcom had broadcast in the past.

While another - later - software release will bring a variety of different improvements to this platform, v2.4.0 mainly focuses on the BBC iPlayer feature.

Following the upgrade, you will notice improvements made to BBC iPlayer speed, usability and performance.

In addition to making the new version available on our www.sagemcomdigital.co.uk support page later this week we have also started to broadcast it via Over-The-Air (=OTA) transmission:

Start: 18/02/2012 (10am)
    End: 20/02/2012 (9am)

Start :22/02/2012 (10am)
    End: 25/02/2012 (9am)

Start : 27/02/2013 (10am)
    End: 01/03/2013 (9am)

Start 11/03/2013 (10am)
    End: 13/03/2013 (9am)

Start 15/03/2013 (10am)
    End: 18/03/2013 (9am)

If you switch on your RTI95 during the following broadcast slots it will automatically detect the new version and and ask you to confirm the upgrade. You can choose between the following options:

1) NOW: The box will reboot and automatically start the upgrade
    2) NEXT: OTA will automatically be downloaded next time the unit is switched on
    3) NO: No upgrade will take place, however, message will re-appear

Please avoid interrupting the upgrade (once started) even if it may take longer than the average 50 minutes. As long as your RTI95's front display continues to display counting numbers you don't need to be concerned.

A more detailed OTA Guide can be found here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37121824/RTI...

If you require further help please don't hesitate to search the Community database or contact our friendly support team on 08450 900 316 (local call rate).

Kind regards,

Your Sagemcom Support Team
  • CullimoreCullimore Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just brought this Philips box from argos and I cant seem to update it.

I put the file (SC604CF5) (2.4.0) on the usb from the Philips website. power off the unit, insert the usb, press the + button on front of unit. power up and the display counts up a %. then goes back to the time. when I then press the power on and check the version, its still v2.1.0.

what and I doing wrong? do I unplug it when it goes back to the clock??

somebody please help.:cry:
    Forum Member
    In my limited experience, USB updating also failed.
    I was fortunate in that a broadcast OAD update was imminent and that worked without hitch.
    IIRC at the last update there was hint of further enhancements to come, keep an eye on this page for notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there, I managed to do the USB update, took me five attempts though as it failed.

Thanks for the link, I will keep an eye out for more updates.

Sorry what is IIRC ?? Do you now any ideas of the new features? Do you know any sites where u can keep unto date with news about this box?

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just found that the software on the PHILIPS site (2.4.0) is not the lastest. you have to go to SAGECOM for 2.5.3.

hopefully this stops my box lock ups (flashing red led)

will try the update tonight
    Forum Member
    I was advised by Sagemcom not to use their firmware on the Philips. There is a mechanism in the OAD to separate the two branded machines.

Sagemcom discussion re 2.5.3

and v2.4.0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh, I was told by SAGEMCOM (on live chat today) to use that software due to freezing/lock ups.

hmm what to do as the box crashes every night.