comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyable as usual
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was enjoyable I was lucky to watch them film a lot of the scenes in Porthcawl
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always loved Stella but I thought that was "gwael"
    Very disappointing.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched this yet. Really loved the early series but the last one bored me. I will bail out if the first episode is still a bit lame. Feel it has gone on to long.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the latest series or the previous one because I have had to watch it in box sets as we don't have Sky. But I was very surprised to read the Guardian's recent review saying it's perfect to watch with your in-laws because there's no sex in it:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/feb/07/stella-review-ruth-jones-old-fashioned-comedy-sam-wollaston

There certainly used to be sex scenes! Have they stopped having them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Do enjoy Stella, although daughter has caught up on them and watching the old ones made me realise how many great characters have gone. I especially liked Paula and her relationship with Stella was the cornerstone of the programme. I guess they are trying to recreate it with Stella and Celia.
  • Options
    Allan_MorseAllan_Morse Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Excellent episode as usual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Love Stella, thought last years Xmas Special was brilliant TV!

Not seen the first episode yet, will wait for this Fridays episode and double up.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Stella, thought last years Xmas Special was brilliant TV!

Not seen the first episode yet, will wait for this Fridays episode and double up.

I prefer Calsberg Export personally.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was lovely to see "daddy" in the restaurant opening scenes At first i could not believe my eyes then realised it must have been filmed before he passed away. (Aww smiley)
  • Options
    RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love it I do. Following the theme of the first episode, watching it just makes me feel ...... cosy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was lovely to see "daddy" in the restaurant opening scenes At first i could not believe my eyes then realised it must have been filmed before he passed away. (Aww smiley)

I know, I was so sad to hear he passed. Will miss him :(
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    I do love Stella. It is a proper "feel good" kind of show.

The first series was definitely saucier in tone, with Dai and Paula's sex antics but the show is still great even if it has become a little cosier.

I love the way that Ruth Jones has managed to progress the characters' lives as the series have gone on.

I adore Aunty Brenda as a character - she is hilarous.

Very sad that the actor who played Daddy died. I hope they give him a send off in the show and don't just make him "disappear".

I believe a 5th series is already touted..
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »

The first series was definitely saucier in tone, with Dai and Paula's sex antics but the show is still great even if it has become a little cosier.

I love the way that Ruth Jones has managed to progress the characters' lives as the series have gone on.

Very sad that the actor who played Daddy died. I hope they give him a send off in the show and don't just make him "disappear".

I do love Stella , it is a shame Dai and Paula are no longer in it,

Daddy in the show again last night, did he died during or after they filmed this series?

Naughty Michael , having a mid life crisis , though I think the consultant may have a crush on nurse Stella .

Easy watching of a Friday night !
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am not sure about Auntie Brenda-I find her too acidic.

Hope Daddy gets a good send off. I don't suppose Paula will come back for it though :(
    Yera wrote: »
    I do love Stella , it is a shame Dai and Paula are no longer in it,

Daddy in the show again last night, did he died during or after they filmed this series?

Naughty Michael , having a mid life crisis , though I think the consultant may have a crush on nurse Stella .

Easy watching of a Friday night !

Agree about Dai and Paula. Paula and Stella's friendship was a real cornerstone of the programme.

I wonder if Beyoncé is going to try it on with Michael and then blackmail him. She appears to have had some form in that department...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's ok, but missing something. Michael and Beyoncé remind me of Sunny and the medical student. Watchable but not as good as previous series.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    What I do notice as Stella goes on is how some characters get almost no screen time at all - this series for instance, Bobby is getting very little time at all. I guess because Paula left and Daddy is no longer around he doesn't have the people we would normally see him interact with. Because of the lack of daddy and Paula we're also missing the undertakers where a lot of scenes used to occur.

Nadine is similar, although now she works in the cafe she is getting more scenes.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do notice as Stella goes on is how some characters get almost no screen time at all - this series for instance, Bobby is getting very little time at all. I guess because Paula left and Daddy is no longer around he doesn't have the people we would normally see him interact with. Because of the lack of daddy and Paula we're also missing the undertakers where a lot of scenes used to occur.

Nadine is similar, although now she works in the cafe she is getting more scenes.

Yeah I do miss Paula, but I guess there's only so much humour you can get out of an undertakers so I don't really miss that aspect as such.

Different or new characters become either more or less central depending on what is going on Stella's life e.g. Beyonce :)

I think that's what helps to keep it fresh, also I guess with quite a big cast difficult to get everyone available at the same time etc.

Definitely still a really nice, funny watch with a glass of wine on Winter Friday evening for me.
  • Options
    ginandtabsginandtabs Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd bump this as it was such a sad episode last night. :( Love Stella.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's ok, but is definitely not as good as previous series. A real shame yesterday as I liked Michael. But the Dai/Brenda rivalry is getting very wearing. Will keep on with it as it's nice enough.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paula will be back for episode 7 only
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I never understood what happened to the building company Rob bought and Luke started working for. Season three just brushed over Rob's relationship with his son.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that Jane Asher in the episode?