Liverpool v Chelsea, Sunday April 27th 14.05

Comments

• Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I'm being abit of a bitter supporter today, I know I am, and I apologise in advance I'll hold my hands up and say it

But I feel as though I cannot congratulate Chelsea today

I know teams do it, but Chelsea defined purpose break up of play today, wasting time like buggery, It was awful to see, purely awful

Defensively they were brilliant, defensively they are brilliant, and Jose's tactics got the job done today, but as football fans, do we really want to see that pampering around stalling the game for an eternity on goal kicks, fouls, throw ins, subs, corners etc etc? Like I say I know teams do this, but today was epic in scale on Chelsea's part

The referee gave a yellow card 90 minutes to late for wasting time, Fair enough if you say "if it gets the job done then yes" that's your opinion, but personally I find it spiritless, that's not football for me

Not that it means I'm right, but I'm glad several neutrals around me thought the same

All is not lost
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I do wonder if Brendan missed a trick today. It wasn't a must win game but I thought it was more a mustn't lose. He must of known how Chelsea were going to play.
    Easy after the game of course.

I agree. In hindsight, a draw was a good result for Liverpool

similar to the CL semi final. Maybe Mourinho will be happy to draw nil nil and go to pens.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Mourinho is a clever man, his tactics today may have been negative but they were what was required to do the job.

He is playing to get a result, not to please football fans. Everyone knows how good Liverpool are going forward, playing them any other way would be silly - they had a fair number of chances despite the bus being parked.

I thought it was a very entertaining match anyway, much better than in the week when he parked the bus v Atletico.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a small point (Dont flay me) why wasnt Willian offside?
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, all the criticism shows how poor the defending is in the Premier League.
    When a well organised defensive display is seen as such a negative thing, it highlights how poor our top teams are at defending.
    Tony Pulis, hardly the most admired coach/manager in the game, has showed at Crystal Palace what organisation and attention to detail can achieve . It's easy to blame the opposition for your own short-comings which is what most of the mangers seem to do nowadays
    Congratulations to Mourinho and his staff at a well prepared and thought out strategy

It's a shame they can't teach the National team how to defend against good teams.

Fwiw I still think Liverpool win win the league
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I'm being abit of a bitter supporter today, I know I am, and I apologise in advance I'll hold my hands up and say it

But I feel as though I cannot congratulate Chelsea today

I know teams do it, but Chelsea defined purpose break up of play today, wasting time like buggery, It was awful to see, purely awful

Defensively they were brilliant, defensively they are brilliant, and Jose's tactics got the job done today, but as football fans, do we really want to see that pampering around stalling the game for an eternity on goal kicks, fouls, throw ins, subs, corners etc etc? Like I say I know teams do this, but today was epic in scale on Chelsea's part

The referee gave a yellow card 90 minutes to late for wasting time, Fair enough if you say "if it gets the job done then yes" that's your opinion, but personally I find it spiritless, that's not football for me

Not that it means I'm right, but I'm glad several neutrals around me thought the same

All is not lost

And any club that wants to be Champions needs to overcome these challenges rather than complain about them. Chelsea did a number on you because they are a professional side managed by a top top manager who knows how to get results. You can't be bitter about it. Its not anti football and its not parking the bus.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    And any club that wants to be Champions needs to overcome these challenges rather than complain about them. Chelsea did a number on you because they are a professional side managed by a top top manager who knows how to get results. You can't be bitter about it. Its not anti football and its not parking the bus.

It is parking the bus. However it does get results for him.

As I keep saying over and over. How Liverpool set up was the right way to combat. We have beat teams who have parked the bus this season. Unfortunately you can't allow for the fact that your player slips and hands the other side a goal on a plate. I think the manner of that and the timing killed us rather than Mourinhos tactics. Chelsea were not scoring yesterday if that doesn't happen. They may have still stopped us but they weren't going to score themselves. They weren't interested in that.

I think Liverpool fans need to stop being bitter about it. We lost end of. At the end of the season we may look back on this and have a good laugh about it who knows. Still a long way to go yet.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

He was behind Torres when he got the ball
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    He was behind Torres when he got the ball

Plus the move started inside the Chelsea half.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Plus the move started inside the Chelsea half.

This doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

When Torres passed the ball to Willian they weren't in the Chelsea half. Doesn't matter where "the move" started - you could say that all goals from open play "start" in the scoring team's half.

When Torres passed to Willian, there was only one Liverpool player between the goal line and the ball - Mignolet. Which would have made Willian offside - if he had been in front of the ball. But he wasn't. Willian was behind the ball when Torres laid the ball off for him to run on to, meaning he wasn't offside.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »

It was parking the bus big time,

Not fussed about that side of it though
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted we lost - Gerrard has been incredible all season and his mistake was just that - a mistake such a shame it came in the most important game of the season for us.

The team have to get over it and regain their confidence and belief for Palace but a lot will have to do what happens at Everton/Man City a few days earlier.
    I foresee one more final twist: 1-1 draw at Goodison.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    ...I foresee one more final twist: 1-1 draw at Goodison.
    Some sort of irony there that Everton could effectively decide if Liverpool win the Premiership or not.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea and Mourinho always deliver in games of this importance. Perfect game plan, and Liverpool and Rodgers didn't know what to do to counter it.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Mark Lawrenson put the mockers on Liverpool saying they would batter Chelsea.

There was quite a bit if disrespecting of Chelsea before the game yesterday.

Jan Molby said that all that Liverpool had to do was to turn up!:o

I'm staggered that great ex professionals could come to such arrogant conclusion when going up against Mourinho inspired opposition.

Mourinho is the absolute master at setting up his side to beat his rivals when it counts, so what made those guys think it was going to be easy?:confused:

I got the impression that Rodegers & the Liverpool players believed them, because they didn't vary their tactics too much.

The ironic thing is that if Liverpool had sat back a bit, they probably would not have lost & the title would still be theirs to lose today.

There needs to be less snobbery about going defensive when necessary, as there is more than one way to cook chicken!
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Some sort of irony there that Everton could effectively decide if Liverpool win the Premiership or not.

Would love everton to roll over but i expect a close game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was quite a bit if disrespecting of Chelsea before the game yesterday.

Jan Molby said that all that Liverpool had to do was to turn up!:o

I'm staggered that great ex professionals could come to such arrogant conclusion when going up against Mourinho inspired opposition.

Mourinho is the absolute master at setting up his side to beat his rivals when it counts, so what made those guys think it was going to be easy?:confused:

I got the impression that Rodegers & the Liverpool players believed them, because they didn't vary their tactics too much.

The ironic thing is that if Liverpool had sat back a bit, they probably would not have lost & the title would still be theirs to lose today.

There needs to be less snobbery about going defensive when necessary, as there is more than one way to cook chicken!

Because of the error our team tried to force it in the second half to make up for it. Normally when teams have gone all defensive this season we have been much more patient instead of forcing a shot etc.

I've no doubt that if we had set up more defensive it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Chelsea were not threatening at all. I think the most gutting thing is Chelsea won because one of our players slipped. I'm fairly sure had that not happened it would have been a draw at the very least. That's not me being bitter either. Chelsea got the points so fair play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Would love everton to roll over but i expect a close game

Everton won't roll over. Nor will Villa or West Ham. City still have to win all their games. A draw puts it back in our hands again.
    I've a feeling the last day will have a few twists and turns.

I'm sure many people would want Liverpool to fall short but to be fair anybody that starts laughing at us, well the jokes on them. We've still had a wonderful season and I'm at least looking forward to CL football again next year. Some people think the title is beyond Liverpool now. Let's see!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »

I've no doubt that if we had set up more defensive it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Chelsea were not threatening at all. I think the most gutting thing is Chelsea won because one of our players slipped. I'm fairly sure had that not happened it would have been a draw at the very least. That's not me being bitter either. Chelsea got the points so fair play.

I wouldn't say that was why they won. It helped, but you didn't have the answers to break them dow, and ultimately, that's why they won. They soaked up your pressure, and took their chances when they came.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that was why they won. It helped, but you didn't have the answers to break them dow, and ultimately, that's why they won. They soaked up your pressure, and took their chances when they came.

No I have to disagree. It definitely is the reason they won. Chelsea were not a threat at any stage of the game yesterday. They were defensively brilliant but I just couldn't see them scoring unless we shot ourselves in the foot. Which is what happened. Once the mistake happened Liverpool tried to force it instead of playing a patient game they were trying to find the killer pass/shot too soon and lacked discipline in their play.

Chelsea got the points fair play but nobody is telling me that if they aren't gifted that goal that match didn't have 0-0 written all over it.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great jose performance again from chelsea

liverpool dont really need throw around blame though, it was on unfortunate slip thats all. not like they naively attacked and lost a goal(injury time goal still not naive either)

everton are last threat to city imo, will be tough for the reds to win it now.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mourinho is the best when it comes to bus and counter football.

His away wins against Man City and Liverpool were impressive, plus his win against PSG.

Still regard his Champions League wins with Porto and Inter as pure genius.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

This is a very odd comment!

Willian wasn't offside because he was behind the ball when torres released the ball.

It really is that simple. For future reference:

"A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met: first, the player must be in the opposing team's half of the field. Second, the player must be in front of the ball. And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line, with the goalkeeper counting as an opposing player for these purposes."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    No I have to disagree. It definitely is the reason they won. Chelsea were not a threat at any stage of the game yesterday. They were defensively brilliant but I just couldn't see them scoring unless we shot ourselves in the foot. Which is what happened. Once the mistake happened Liverpool tried to force it instead of playing a patient game they were trying to find the killer pass/shot too soon and lacked discipline in their play.

Chelsea got the points fair play but nobody is telling me that if they aren't gifted that goal that match didn't have 0-0 written all over it.

And the fact they were defensively brilliant is a huge part of why they won. They didn't simply win because Gerrard slipped. Unless you've got a crystal ball, I don't think anyone could say what would or wouldn't have happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    And the fact they were defensively brilliant is a huge part of why they won. They didn't simply win because Gerrard slipped. Unless you've got a crystal ball, I don't think anyone could say what would or wouldn't have happened.

Oh no they worked bloody hard to see it out, but we were very very comfortable before the mistake. Just based on the first half I doubt the second half would have been any different. In the last few weeks I've been very nervous watching our games. I was nervous up to the game yesterday but after about 20 minutes that completely went and my thinking was that it had goalless draw all over it.