Options

Job change worry

Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just started a new job, in the same line of work as I was in, but I'm hating it.. I have the option to return to my last place but I'm worried it might be incredibly embarrassing all round. I would appreciate some advice, or opinions about returning to a job after just one week. Mistake or not?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you move from your last job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Why did you move from your last job?

I'm thinking of what to reply, it's so complicated that it's hard to begin! I guess the easiest way is to say I was actually headhunted for the position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    I thinking of what to reply, it's so complicated that it's hard to begin! I guess the easiest way is to say I was actually headhunted for the position.

Don't worry about going back to your old job if they are happy to take you. You can explain to your co workers that you were unhappy at your new job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Don't worry about going back to your old job if they are happy to take you. You can explain to your co workers that you were unhappy at your new job.

Cheers woodbush, makes me feel better :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers woodbush, makes me feel better :cool:

You can make it a positive as your old company were happy to take you back:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Ada,

If you can't stand another day, and there is no option or point in sitting it out, then cuytyour losses and go back. It may be a bit awkward handing back the leaving pressies (Lol!), but worth it for your sanity.

Your old colleges won't their any less of you once your reasons become sincere. There may be a cost however. You may have your terms and conditions affected, such as pension, holiday entitlement, that sort of thing, and you may have to live with that, but you may value your old position a lot more, and you will be able to relax in your life, instead of dreading every day. If your present job is an a@se, you may be pushed to do something you'll regret if you stay.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a woman in my company who has left and returned 3 times lol, it's not unheard of so go for it.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did the same as you left somewhere hated were I went to and returned to my old job. Any embarrassment I felt was dwarfed by the sense of relief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lot are great! - thanks for taking the trouble :cool:
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Ada are you sure you're not looking back at the old job with rose-tinted specs on? Is the new job really that dreadful? Can you decide that so soon?

However, if it is making you unhappy, then do leave. My sister bought me this as a canvas and I do try to live by it.

http://jobcandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/20130324-155937.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ada are you sure you're not looking back at the old job with rose-tinted specs on? Is the new job really that dreadful? Can you decide that so soon?

However, if it is making you unhappy, then do leave. My sister bought me this as a canvas and I do try to live by it.

http://jobcandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/20130324-155937.jpg

A gut feeling. If I don't act soon, I might burn my bridges.
    That canvas is very helpful, much appreciated frankie_Little.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What type of work do you do and how large was your previous company?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What type of work do you do and how large was your previous company?

Catering, relatively small. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would just quit and go back to my old job if I were in your position.

Better to face any embarrassment and awkwardness short term then to be miserable long term! Worse, you could try to battle it out for a few more months, decide you've had enough and then going back to your old job isn't an option anymore. I don't know if that would be the case, but it's surely a possibility.

Besides, you can just say you didn't enjoy your new job and missed your old one. Just shrug it off and carry on as before and the awkwardness won't last long!
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop and think before you jump back. You say you were headhunted - I take it your decision to leave was because of the promise of better pay and conditions? I only ask because they're the most common reasons for leaving a job for another (I know there are others, but it's up to you if you want to tell).

The reason I say "stop and think" is because I've voluntarily moved to another job and hated... absolutely HATED... the first week or so, especially if I wasn't unhappy in the previous one. Frankie_Little has it right - we do look back with rose-tinted glasses in a new job, mainly because we (thought we) knew everything we needed to know last week, but this week we feel we're a small fish in a big pond - or we feel we're just bait for those small fish. However, after a couple of weeks I've always been settled in and forged contacts for help and advice, and felt much better about things in general (and wondered why I was so bothered the previous week).

If it makes you feel better, make quiet advances about how welcome you'd be in your old workplace, but do be reassured that all's not lost in your new job whatever way it goes.

Best of luck - I feel for you. x

Edit: Sorry, I see you've got the option of returning. It's up to you, obviously, but it all depends on why you took the new job (you'll have less pay, but more job satisfaction etc etc etc).
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd give it a bit longer. Can you only return to your old job now or would it still be a possibility in a few months time? If the latter, then you should really try to give this new job a go. What exactly makes this new job so horrible? Is it the people? The work? The environment? Try to narrow down whether it is something that might change over time. New things can often be horrible just due to unfamiliarity, especially if you had been in your old role a long time and it had become easy.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would advocate giving the new job a bit longer (a month perhaps?). Of course I'm not in your shoes and cannot judge the situation from your point of view. If you do decide to leave after a week don't feel the least bit bad about that, I expect you can give instant notice? Where I worked a young woman started with us on a Monday morning, never returned after lunch and was never seen at our place again. A couple of weeks later she wrote in asking for a reference and to be paid for the morning she had worked:D

Good luck and take from this that two companies are after your services, you must be good at what you do.
  • Options
    shelly_77shelly_77 Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say go back. I changed jobs 3 months ago and would give anything to turn the clock back. If there's a position for you, don't worry about any embarrassment caused. They want you back, that's the main thing.
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust your gut and go back to the old job.
    It is the measure of a person whom can admit they made a mistake. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

Go back, admit leaving was a mistake and do it with your head held high.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I've just started a new job, in the same line of work as I was in, but I'm hating it.. I have the option to return to my last place but I'm worried it might be incredibly embarrassing all round. I would appreciate some advice, or opinions about returning to a job after just one week. Mistake or not?

Ada, you have just started a new job. It may be the same type of work but everything else is different. You are out of your comfort zone and everything is challenging. It is usually quite normal to feel very uncomfortable and out of your depth in a new job.

As someone who has moved jobs many times over the years I usually gave myself approximately 3 months before I even contemplated leaving. For I found it usually took that amount of time before I fully settled in my new position.

If you have only been there one week I would suggest you need a bit more time before you decide whether or not you have made a mistake.

Best of luck:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All your posts have helped me. thank you so much.
    The thought of going back is more appealing to me than staying but I'm really concerned about telling the woman who made it possible for me to get this position (the head mistress of the school of which I'm now the cook). she contacted me and asked me if I'm happy where I am, to which I replied I was but because of past history and loyalty to this woman I felt obliged go for the interview, with the catering company contractors.
    I was given the job and as it's local and I felt that I owed the head mistress something I was swayed into taking it.
    Now I regret it but I've messed the head mistress about and I feel so worried about it all.

I posted this before seeing your post WinterLilly, you make a very good point.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The only important person in all of this is YOU. Don't sacrifice your happiness because you think you'll be causing upset to someone else. Look at this way - if for some reason, you were suddenly unable to work, (and I'm thinking massive lottery win, not anything dreadful, like illness or accident), you would be replaced in a heartbeat. Nobody is indispensable. The headmistress might be a bit pissed off but she'll get over it. Do what you want to do, not what you think you should do. Go out and get yourself happy.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say go back tooif you've given it a fair crack. Trust your instincts. I was in a similar position. Left a job I really liked for a lot more money. Hated it from day one. Said I would give it eight weeks before I decided. Still hated it. A year later I'm now considering a job 5k a year less just to leave.

It's not worth it if you're miserable.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I'd say go back too if you've given it a fair crack.

She's been in the new job for one week.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    She's been in the new job for one week.

But it depends on the circumstances...a job learning new skills yes that's not enough time. But a job where you know what you're doing then you have to make some choices. And there isn't always time. How long will the old job be available for? They aren't going to hold it open for a couple of months while the OP decides. As I said go with your gut instinct.

My job is doing exactly the same as my last heading up a team. Nothing to learn. But the company is chaotic and has an oppressive management style that isn't me. My instinct in the first week those things weren't going to change, I should've listened to it.