Options

Wii U Changing External Storage?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I currently have a Premium edition wii u, which I have been using with a 64GB pen drive as external storage, which has worked quite well. However, with Nintendo's eshop sales and other impulse buys, I have nearly filled both the onboard 32GB and the 64GB pen drive :o something I really never imagined happening.

I am quite fortunate in that I had a spare external USB3 hard drive to hand 2.5" USB powered type with single USB3 cable. So I simply want to swap over the 64GB pen for the external HDD.

However, I DONT want to lose the data on the USB pen, I want to copy it to the HDD. The snag here is that the Wii U (unless a recent update has changed this) won't allow two USB devices connected at once. Can I simply copy the data from the pen drive to Wii U storage then swap to the HDD and copy it back to the HDD and repeat this for the second 32GB or does registering the HDD as a Wii U storage device somehow de-register the pen drive?

Anyone else changed external storage on the Wii U? Is what I am proposing a good idea, or is there an easier way to do the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently moved some games off a 32GB SDCard onto an external HDD by transfering it to the WiiUs flash memory then onto the HDD! :)

(Transfers can take awhile so be prepared to wait & have a WIiU Gamepad plugged into either the USB port or mains) ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, another potential fly in the ointment though, I've just being reading that the Wii U's USB ports are very low powered and can't power some external HDDs. The cable that comes with my HDD is just a single USB to the weird shaped USB3 connector on the drive.

Do I need a dual USB cable to the drive connector like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storite-SuperSpeed-External-Seagate-Toshiba/dp/B00IR78GL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411556140&sr=8-4&keywords=USB+3.0+DUAL+Power+Y ?

or might I be lucky and find it can work off the standard cable with the drive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Thanks, another potential fly in the ointment though, I've just being reading that the Wii U's USB ports are very low powered and can't power some external HDDs. The cable that comes with my HDD is just a single USB to the weird shaped USB3 connector on the drive.

Do I need a dual USB cable to the drive connector like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storite-SuperSpeed-External-Seagate-Toshiba/dp/B00IR78GL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411556140&sr=8-4&keywords=USB+3.0+DUAL+Power+Y ?

or might I be lucky and find it can work off the standard cable with the drive?

U need that cable mate! ... I use 1 with my passport USB3 Ext HDD! 😉
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need a dual usb cable myself running out of space frequently with all these decent indies coming out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Need a dual usb cable myself running out of space frequently with all these decent indies coming out.

Yep! ... The WIiU is useless without a decent (atleast 500GB) HDD! 👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well transfer all done without a hitch. Everything on my HDD and the Wii U system storage totally empty. The only thing is the copying process seems to have messed up the order of the game icons on the homescreen and they are all jumbled up. Makes finding a specific game a bit slow.

Is there anyway I can sort them into some kind of sensible order? e.g. having all the full retail games together, all the indies together and all the virtual console games together? Would make it a lot easier to find specific games.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    i upgraded the ps3 slim from 320gb to 1,000 gb - 8gb on the basic is hilarious in this day an age.

Anyway, i may get a wii u - does a usb powered drive work ok? Can you use it for other stuff or does the wii formate the entire drive (ala a samsung smart tv)
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Well transfer all done without a hitch. Everything on my HDD and the Wii U system storage totally empty. The only thing is the copying process seems to have messed up the order of the game icons on the homescreen and they are all jumbled up. Makes finding a specific game a bit slow.

Is there anyway I can sort them into some kind of sensible order? e.g. having all the full retail games together, all the indies together and all the virtual console games together? Would make it a lot easier to find specific games.

Yeah just press and hold an icon and move it wherever you want.
    You can now even make separate folders too if you wish ie: you can keep all Indies in one, Snes in another etc.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    steveOooo wrote: »
    i upgraded the ps3 slim from 320gb to 1,000 gb - 8gb on the basic is hilarious in this day an age.

Anyway, i may get a wii u - does a usb powered drive work ok? Can you use it for other stuff or does the wii formate the entire drive (ala a samsung smart tv)

Yes a USB powered drive works, but you will need an appropriate USB Y-Cable.