Options

Really looking forward to 'Moon'

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Want to see it, but think the nearest cinema showing it is in London, and I live in West Sussex!!! :eek:

Its on at the Duke Of Yorks Brighton till Thurs 30 July- 6.30pm most nights (6pm on others)

Ill be seeing it there...
  • Options
    spikejspikej Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it at VUE Plymouth yesterday, the cinema was quite full - 40 or so - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was either going to be amazing or crap, and I'm very glad to say it's the former.

Sam Rockwell was brilliant, not many people can carry an entire film on their shoulders. Great job all round given the 30 odd days of filming, £5m budget and model shots (which were great, no CGI for this film!).

Go and see it. You will not regret it.
  • Options
    fezxenakisfezxenakis Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's awesome. Sam Rockwell rules!

Good luck spotting Matt Berry though. Half-way through and I'd forgotten he was in it. I've still got no idea what role he played.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Its on at the Duke Of Yorks Brighton till Thurs 30 July- 6.30pm most nights (6pm on others)

Well I saw it and I agree with everyone that the film is great. Im still thinking about it 2 hrs after I came out of the cinema...

It certainly didnt look low budget and Sam Rockwell gives a fantastic performance in it...

Its kinda 2001/Blade Runner ish without leaning too heavily on either of them....

Anyone think its funny that Duncan Jones (Zowie Bowie) makes his first film about a man who goes to the moon and cant get home???:rolleyes::D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this to be good for a sci-fi film, although I figured it out a few minutes after the incident, so the rest of it became a bit tedious.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I watched last night, driving an hour to Bristol as it was the nearest cinema showing it.

Pretty good, nice to have a "thinking" sci fi film for a change.

I liked that the characters were each their own man, so to say.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this at Cineworld Broad Street in Birmingham today. I thought it was excellent - brilliantly atmospheric, thought-provoking and moving.

Sam Rockwell carried the film amazingly well and the use of a very limited set helped to convey the feelings of isolation and confinement. One of those films that leaves you thinking about it's themes of isolation and humanity long after the credits have rolled.

If you live in or around Brum and haven't seen it yet and have any regard for quality SF films such as Blade Runner, then I would advise you to get down to Broad Street and catch Moon while you still can.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this the other day, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, Sam Rockwell is excellent, he is in screen for practically the whole movie and is utterly compelling at portraying all of the various aspects of his character(s).

The central theme, or 'revalation' of the story is actually revealed early on and is not that hard to guess, but it then takes some very interesting twists and turns and shows how Sam deals with his dilemma.

It has echoes of 2001, Silent Running and Outland (with the countdown to the shuttle arrival bringing 3 men to the station).

Love the old fashioned model work too, refreshing to see a healthy non-reliance on CGI flash.

This is not Star Wars, there are no space battles, laser duels or loads of cute creatures...if you are a fan of the aforementioned movies and like intelligent, thought provoking sci-fi, this is for you.
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was surprised to see Moon on this week' listings at my local Odeon so went to see it last night. Was slightly odd watching a movie in such a hushed auditorium but that was a mark of how engrossed the audience was in the movie. Great to see some good old fashioned thought provoking sci-fi for a change 8/10

Did amuse me that on the Odeon website it claims If you liked ‘Transformers’ and ‘Star Trek’, you’ll love ‘Moon’. when those movies are the antithesis of this thoughtful thriller but I guess for some people if you've seen one sci-fi movie you've seen them all!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also saw this the other day. Was so glad to be sitting in a screening where there was peace and quiet and no juvenile delinquents, rustling of sweets or people chatting away while the films playing.

An interesting little film. Quite thought provoking and Sam Rockwell was universally excellent and deserves all the praise he's getting for the film. Personally for me, i couldn't quite get into it as much as i wanted to.

I found the movie to be quite cold and i couldn't emotionally invest myself in the film. I really wanted to but it just didn't happen. That's not to say it's a bad film because it's not but i just wish i could have felt a bit more for the character and his circumstances. Might take repeat viewings to really get into it. I'm probably somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    looks like Mark Kermode really liked it too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8156722.stm

Who on earth is that dreadful woman talking to him????? She interrupts him constantly and usually with incredibly dumb and pointless comments. Won't ever be watching anything with her again!
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

It's on at Cineworld in Crawley now. Went to see it last night, and I thought it was excellent from beginning to end, and I haven't thought that about a film since the Dark Knight.
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who on earth is that dreadful woman talking to him????? She interrupts him constantly and usually with incredibly dumb and pointless comments. Won't ever be watching anything with her again!

That would be Emily Maitlis who I've had to endure for many years as she used to host the BBC London News before moving onto national.

Glad to see that Moon is continuing to bring in good box office takings despite its very limited release and has already made its money back, so hopefully we'll get to see some more movies like this in coming months and years.

Moon : Box-Office
    http://www.screenrush.co.uk/film/boxoffice_gen_cfilm=136189.html
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=moon09.htm
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve AWOL wrote: »
    That would be Emily Maitlis who I've had to endure for many years as she used to host the BBC London News before moving onto national.

Glad to see that Moon is continuing to bring in good box office takings despite its very limited release and has already made its money back, so hopefully we'll get to see some more movies like this in coming months and years.

Moon : Box-Office
    http://www.screenrush.co.uk/film/boxoffice_gen_cfilm=136189.html
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=moon09.htm

Duncan Jones has already been signed up to do bigger budget films Escape From The Deep
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/06/01/duncan-jones-to-helm-escape-from-the-deep-adaptation/

& Mute http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/06/29/duncan-jones-following-up-moon-with-sci-fi-project-mute/
  • Options
    Eat The TellyEat The Telly Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Meh. I saw it at the Edinburgh Film fest and think it's overrated myself, but I appear to be in the minority. The ending is just WTF?

Pipe down in front!

You're not allowed to say that.

It's brilliant, artistic, abstract, thoughtful etc etc ;)
  • Options
    martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be screening in Belfast. :(
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD & Blu Ray disc released in November

http://davidbowie.com/news/?id=20090813
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    DVD & Blue-Ray out tomorrow. £9.99/£15.99 receptively on Play.com, I'll be going to Asda tomorrow evening to pick it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I CAN NOT WAIT!! My favourite film this year.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD & Blue-Ray out tomorrow. £9.99/£15.99 receptively on Play.com, I'll be going to Asda tomorrow evening to pick it up.

By the way, are movies released, say, Monday 16th (tomorrow) available to buy from midnight tonight at 24 hour Asdas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    By the way, are movies released, say, Monday 16th (tomorrow) available to buy from midnight tonight at 24 hour Asdas?

Maybe, but I'd give the staff a good few hours to get 'tm on the shelves first!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Sunday Trading Act (1994) says: no chance :(
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Moon, Rockwell was superb and the story was deep & intriguing.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Al_T3D wrote: »
    Maybe, but I'd give the staff a good few hours to get 'tm on the shelves first!

Not in places like Asda or Sainsburys - it's only the big music stores like HMV that do these midnight openings for big movies, of which Moon would not qualify.

Don't get me wrong, I saw it in the cinema and it was excellent, but it's only the likes of the Harry Potter movies that get that sort of 'treatment'

And frankly...I never get that concept anyway...the publicity tells you to be there at midnight and queue up, giving the impression demand is going to be so big you may not get a copy at all.

But it's such nonsense...because if you walk in the same store the next day there are thousands of the darn things on the shelf.

These are major motion picture releases, the concept of them not producing enough copies is just never going to happen...in fact, in a few months they will be in the sales and probably bargain bins.

That said, I will pick up the blu ray of this tomorrow...excellent movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in places like Asda or Sainsburys - it's only the big music stores like HMV that do these midnight openings for big movies, of which Moon would not qualify.

Don't get me wrong, I saw it in the cinema and it was excellent, but it's only the likes of the Harry Potter movies that get that sort of 'treatment'

And frankly...I never get that concept anyway...the publicity tells you to be there at midnight and queue up, giving the impression demand is going to be so big you may not get a copy at all.

But it's such nonsense...because if you walk in the same store the next day there are thousands of the darn things on the shelf.

These are major motion picture releases, the concept of them not producing enough copies is just never going to happen...in fact, in a few months they will be in the sales and probably bargain bins.

That said, I will pick up the blu ray of this tomorrow...excellent movie.

No. I don't understand this logic either, that said, I often feel I need to get my copy on day one, but that's just excitement at getting a copy really (I certainly wouldn't que for it at night, thats bedtime!), my wife often has to slow me down and reminf me it'll still be on the shelves tomorrow.:D