Options

Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree totally with that.

As I said it's looks like it's meant to appeal to the teen market not any serious PC user.

Agree
    Like you, I want to boot to the desktop and I'll take it from there. I don't want to rearrange my photo album or sync my sound collection with my Ipod as I don't do any of those things as I'm over 21.

I have found out there is a way to do that, boot to the desktop, but no point if there is no way to launch software because there is no start menu.

i know that people can open the folder where the software is and make a short cut for the EXE file on the desktop, but again that is more hassle.

Anyway, I hate stuff on my desktop.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have found out there is a way to do that, boot to the desktop, but no point if there is no way to launch software because there is no start menu.

The start menu is there, it's just a whole screen now. Your software is still accessible from there just like it always was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I just think that they have taken too many risks and have completely overestimated what the majority of users would want from Windows. The touch based UI is great, but not for desktop/laptop users who just happen to make up almost all of the PC market. There will be a backlash, and I think MS should expect this.

I'm not sure that this will replicate the success of Windows 7. If users want apps, then they can do so on smartphones which can be taken anywhere. I don't really think Metro apps bring any additional functionality to desktop and power users except for pretty bright colours.

I also think having all the default applications as Metro programs will put off many users who just want to use the Desktop app but will find things constantly switching back and forth just to open a pdf file or play a song. Microsoft should have included an option where Metro is the default, or where Desktop and ONLY desktop apps are the default so that the user can use Metro to the minimum, but personally I think Windows 8 has been a ploy to try and get the Metro/WP8 UI familiar to encourage sales, so I guess I can see why they haven't done that, but unfortunately, I don't see great things for Windows 8 as a result.

i agree with that. there are ways to boot into the desktop, but Microsoft have not made it a option as they want us to use the metro apps so we will all use their cloud service.

Hopefully Ms will see sense and put it as a option to boot into the desktop, but i can't see it myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand. Is it so hard to click on the desktop icon? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    The start menu is there, it's just a whole screen now. Your software is still accessible from there just like it always was.

But it is a mess, you install software and everything is on this metro screen and to run software you got to keep going back and forwards to this screen. sure you can put some shortcuts on the taskbar.

i used windows 8 for nearly two weeks and i got fed up of it after the first week, but thought I would give it a bit longer.

it is not for me, if I am going to learn another Os then i may as well go for something is more reliable and I don't have to run a processor heavy security suite as every virus goes for Windows machines.

Yes, I know there are some for Mac, more Malware than viruses, but they are few and far between.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is a mess, you install software and everything is on this metro screen and to run software you got to keep going back and forwards to this screen. sure you can put some shortcuts on the taskbar.

How many applications do you run? If you pin them to your taskbar you never need see the start screen. Otherwise, your programs are just two clicks away.

Good luck going to Mac OS X. You'll be back in Windows in Boot Camp before you know it.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i used windows 8 for nearly two weeks and i got fed up of it after the first week, but thought I would give it a bit longer.

it is not for me, if I am going to learn another Os then i may as well go for something is more reliable and I don't have to run a processor heavy security suite as every virus goes for Windows machines.

Yes, I know there are some for Mac, more Malware than viruses, but they are few and far between.

Yeah, I can see that, $40 is too much for some to cough up for W8 upgrade, why not buy something else, like mac for $1000+ :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A link on how to bypass the metro screen on boot up, it don't get rid of the metro screen, it just boots to desktop.

To be honest that option should be standard so people have a choice, like a mate of mine have software that starts up as soon as his computer boot up, windows 8 makes it more difficult
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was still just a preview, something like that might be in the final version.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a good compromise would be to have the ability to place metro tiles in sub folders to keep things neat and organised.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I think a good compromise would be to have the ability to place metro tiles in sub folders to keep things neat and organised.

Well you can group tiles, that could work well alongside semantic zoom.

I wonder how much/if any re-arrangement can be done of the "all apps" screen
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    As I said before, I loved Vista until W7 replaced it, I had a powerful PC that could handle it, W8 will use less resource than W7 so it should fly when installed no my beast of a PC :)

I agree, if you had a good machine Vista was fine, W7 is better.

Looking forward to W8, launch will be around the same time as the ARM Surface Pro tablet I'm buying for........ me :cool:

Whats all the fuss about the blooming Start button, I know Noise uses it, he tells us he does indeed use use it most days on any thread that mentions W8, but I've a few quick launch icons pinned and its job done for me. Might use Start if I'm looking for a file but thats about it and suspect thats the case for most folk.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see that, $40 is too much for some to cough up for W8 upgrade, why not buy something else, like mac for $1000+ :D

The Mac is definitely worth it :D

I will never say Macs are immune again so there is an upside :D It might be a good idea to install AV software on a Mac these days though.
    Good luck going to Mac OS X. You'll be back in Windows in Boot Camp before you know it.

I've been using it since August 2010 and I haven't once felt the need to run Windows on my Mac. Don't want that gunk polluting my lovely clean Mac :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many applications do you run? If you pin them to your taskbar you never need see the start screen. Otherwise, your programs are just two clicks away.

But eventually you need to go back to the start screen no doubt there will be something you miss out to put on the task bar.
    I run a fair few apps and short cuts. My taskbar is pretty full as it is, if I have to put every thing I got on the task bar then it will be over full.

You think so? don't forget I also use Linux on my laptop. i also use a MAc at a friends place and been using a demo of the new final cut and to be honest i starting to like it more than Vegas, never thought I would say that.

The only problem is the Mac is pretty expensive and it means starting again with software.

but if I keep to what I got now instead of updating Vegas and my computer I could save the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never said anything about the cost. but yeah the MAc is a bit pricey, which is the thing that have put me off other the years. but the amount I have paid for my computers upgrades over the last 2 years would have got me a decent mac.

The other problem is that Apple uses Intel CPUs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never say Macs are immune again so there is an upside :D It might be a good idea to install AV software on a Mac these days though.

A friend had a redirection virus on one of her Macs, but she soon cleaned it up.

The last time I saw one of them on a PC was last year on a Dell and I done every thing in the book and it still stayed on the machine, had to reformat in the end.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All far too late for us. We use tablets and smart phones for our work and they run on Android and we have everything set up for that system. Windows tablets and phones just came along a bit too late.

So, we see no point in upgrading our desktops to Windows 8. Windows 7 works just fine and all that jiggery pokery stuff would be a pointless waste of time and just another inconvenience to get used to.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because Windows 8 has no start menu, she wants to go to another OS with no start menu?? :confused:

Moving platform will also mean rebuying all her software (well, maybe, from her previous post, it does seem like she pirates all the non-free stuff).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of the start menu anyway? Windows 8 has amazing search. All you need to do is hit the Windows key and start typing. The program you want pops up right away. You can then pin it the taskbar, pin it to the start screen and that's that.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of the start menu anyway? Windows 8 has amazing search. All you need to do is hit the Windows key and start typing. The program you want pops up right away. You can then pin it the taskbar, pin it to the start screen and that's that.
    Personally I think it's fine. But some would rather amputate a limb then lose the smart menu.
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not a start menu that's a cluttered desktop full of shortcuts!

It gets worse! I won't be installing it. I mean what improvements would it make V the hassles it creates?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    It's hardly rushed. Three years is the standard release cycle for Windows. It was only the cycle between XP and Vista that was so pronounced - and that only happened because the Longhorn project ended up in such a mess they rebooted the entire OS and started again.

We can expect Windows 9 to be out three years after Windows 8 is released.

No sorry, having seen comments from users using the latest builds from Microsoft servers, even they are claiming the OS is still unstable. The new UI renders incorrectly and several features have been omitted from the OS in an attempt to release it faster. It has been rushed.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've just bought a new laptop so I qualify for the £15 upgrade. I'll be getting it and if I don't like it I can just go back to W7.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Never said anything about the cost. but yeah the MAc is a bit pricey, which is the thing that have put me off other the years. but the amount I have paid for my computers upgrades over the last 2 years would have got me a decent mac.

The other problem is that Apple uses Intel CPUs.

The Mac is pricey but worth it :D Why is it a problem that Apple use Intel CPUs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mac is pricey but worth it :D Why is it a problem that Apple use Intel CPUs?

'Cos in two years, they'll be switching to ARM and you'll be back to square one again. :D