The FA Cup 2014/15

Andy55Andy55 Posts: 41
Forum Member
I know BBC/BT Sport have the rights for The FA Cup next season, but have they announced how the games will be split yet (pick's , number of games per round etc.)?

Comments

• coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy55 wrote: »
    I know BBC/BT Sport have the rights for The FA Cup next season, but have they announced how the games will be split yet (pick's , number of games per round etc.)?

we already have a thread about this...
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we already have a thread about this...

Which you created 3 months early!

The answer to the original question is that no one appears to know.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy55 wrote: »

I think the BBC has 1st and 4th pick per round and i think they have about 12 live matches before replays ( 11 exclusive +final shared). They will also air some replays

Bt have 2nd, 3rd and 5th per round + replays. This results in about 17 live matches per season before replays( 16 exclusive + final shared)

The 1st and 2nd round seems to be 1 match on bbc which will be 1st pick.

Bt seem to have two games in the 1st and 2nd round which will be 2nd and 3rd pick.

Then from 3rd round to semi final the pattern becomes bbc 1st & 4th and bt 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

then final shared

This is following the details of the ITV/BT deal.

MAY BE WRONG
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think the BBC has 1st and 4th pick per round and i think they have about 12 live matches before replays ( 11 exclusive +final shared). They will also air some replays

Bt have 2nd, 3rd and 5th per round + replays. This results in about 17 live matches per season before replays( 16 exclusive + final shared)

The 1st and 2nd round seems to be 1 match on bbc which will be 1st pick.

Bt seem to have two games in the 1st and 2nd round which will be 2nd and 3rd pick.

Then from 3rd round to semi final the pattern becomes bbc 1st & 4th and bt 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

then final shared

This is following the details of the ITV/BT deal.

MAY BE WRONG

Source? Or is this just a fantasy order which you have a habit of doing?
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fantasy - he himself has admitted to just taking the previous deal and assuming it applies.

Until the competition proper starts, the only two things we know for certain are that both will show highlights and the final. The live game allocations are still a mystery.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is pretty certain that BBC will have first pick and BT will have second
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think it is pretty certain that BBC will have first pick and BT will have second

Not at all necessary.
    Just because its BBC doesn't mean they will automatically have first pick.

Sky had first pick games way back when they had rights.

Until we have an answer from either The FA or the broadcasters themselves, its nothing more than guessing & fantasy..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I think the FA in recent years have realised the importance of having the 1st picks on FTA TV. Sky having 1st pick was ages ago.

So it depends on what money was offered in the BBC/BT joint bid.

It may very well be that the BBC were willing to do a joint bid with BT knowing that was the only way they could win the rights, even if it meant that BT would get 1st pick.

However unless the amount of money is much higher I guess BBC do have 1st pick.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's probably safe to assume the BBC have some first picks. But not necessarily first pick in every round.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Not at all necessary.
    Just because its BBC doesn't mean they will automatically have first pick.

Sky had first pick games way back when they had rights.

It's almost certain the BBC have first pick. The Guardian seems to think so - http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/jul/17/bbc-bt-sport-fa-cup-tv-rights - and Media Week also says that and says they paid the most - http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1191666/bt-sport-muscles-sky-fa-cup-100m-deal

Yes, Sky had first picks in 1997-2001 but that was a dreadful deal which did more than anything to damage the standing of the FA Cup and it's highly unlikely they'll be returning to that idea. In addition, it was confirmed on a Sky presentation a few years back that Sky had actually bought exclusive rights to the FA Cup in that period and were sub-licencing games to ITV so they were clearly the dominant partner. All the statements for this deal refer to "the BBC and BT Sport", not the other way around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To remind ourselves here are the packages:

A1 1st pick rounds 1-6 (6 matches)
    A2 1st pick replays Rounds 1-6 (6 matches)

B1 2nd pick rounds 1-6 (6 matches)
    B2 2nd pick replays rounds 1-6 (6 matches)

C 3rd picks rounds 3-6 (4 matches)

D 4th picks rounds 3-6 (4 matches)

E 5th picks rounds 3-5, and 3rd pick rounds 1-2 (5 matches)

F FA Cup Semi Final 1st pick (1 match)

G FA Cup Semi Final 2nd pick (1 match)

H FA Cup Final (1 match)

Total = 40 matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC's press pack for the new season says they will show 16 games. The most logical breakdown is:

R1/2 - 1 game each (2)
    R3-6 - 2 games each (8) + 1 replay each (4)
    R7 - 1 game (1)
    Final - 1 game (1)

= 16

But still no word on pick order.
  • THFC23THFC23 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    The BBC's press pack for the new season says they will show 16 games. The most logical breakdown is:

R1/2 - 1 game each (2)
    R3-6 - 2 games each (8) + 1 replay each (4)
    R7 - 1 game (1)
    Final - 1 game (1)

= 16

But still no word on pick order.

Main points from the press pack:

Returns to BBC Television – 16 live matches and highlights of every round
    Interactive Final Score and Football Focus roadshows
    Extra prominence to early rounds - eight matches kick off at 2pm Sunday with goals and highlights available as they happen on BBC One via Final Score
    Downloadable FA Cup catch-ups
    FA Cup draw returns to Mondays, with new evening slot
    All the action on Radio 5 live
    BBC Local Radio charts journey to the first round proper for local teams

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/bbc-football-2014-15/fa-cup

Does this mean they'll still be showing a full live match in the first few rounds?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a first for FA Cup coverage, the BBC will be giving extra prominence to the early rounds of the competition, placing lower league clubs in the spotlight. In the first and second rounds there will be eight matches moved to a new Sunday slot at 2pm, as part of an interactive Final Score, with goals and key moments shown to the BBC One audience as they happen.

Fans will be able to enjoy every twist and turn: if there’s a goal in any of the eight games, Final Score will show it; if there’s a penalty, the programme will go live to see it being taken; and if a match is reaching an exciting conclusion, the audience will be able to witness the exciting conclusion.

I like this idea.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even less games on Saturday at 3 o clock !!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like this though

FA Cup draw returns to Mondays, with new evening slot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The extensive BBC digital offering will include a total of 16 games streamed live on the BBC Sport website, via the online Match Centre and there will be a special FA Cup Catch Up service providing downloadable highlights at every stage of the competition.

Live football on a Saturday at 3 !!!!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    The extensive BBC digital offering will include a total of 16 games streamed live on the BBC Sport website, via the online Match Centre and there will be a special FA Cup Catch Up service providing downloadable highlights at every stage of the competition.

Live football on a Saturday at 3 !!!!

About time they moved with the times with streaming at 3pm on a Saturday.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Nothing is being streamed at 3pm on a Saturday, please read these things properly !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the 16 matches means over the season and not each round then !!!!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a first for FA Cup coverage, the BBC will be giving extra prominence to the early rounds of the competition, placing lower league clubs in the spotlight. In the first and second rounds there will be eight matches moved to a new Sunday slot at 2pm, as part of an interactive Final Score, with goals and key moments shown to the BBC One audience as they happen.

Based on the above, I think the amount of games that the BBC are showing live from rounds one and two is actually zero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Based on the above, I think the amount of games that the BBC are showing live from rounds one and two is actually zero.
    Unless their early-round games are Saturday lunchtime?

I'm not sure how 16 games breaks down otherwise. Unless there isn't a uniform number in each round (e.g. maybe it's 3 in R3 but only 2 in R5 because there's more games in R3). But that would be odd.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC and BT Sport should have demanded that the first round was moved to coincide with the international break and not accept any excuses. There is no logical reason for League 1 and 2 sides to play league games but not cup games during international breaks. What an opportunity missed to give the FA Cup a launch weekend with only the Saturday teatime slot being unrealistic because of the England game. Presumably, in the past, Sky relied on league 1 and 2 for any football in international breaks but those circumstances have changed with the rolling Euro 2016 qualifiers.
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Live game on Saturday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the FA Cup on international weekends really would be helpful. The England match would get more attention than anything.