Comments

• David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good to see channel 5, 5* 5 USA are now on sky Go from today
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if last nights CSI is anything to go by, C5 are on to a winner with CSI: Cyber
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good to see channel 5, 5* 5 USA are now on sky Go from today

Channel 5 on a tablet, How 21st century :)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom change of control review:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/ccrs/CofC_Review_Channel_5.pdf

The minimum levels of news and original productions will increase slightly:
    Viacom recognised the importance of original productions and news programming and offered to increase the licence quotas as follows:

- Time allocated to original production in peak-time from 40% to 45%;
    - Time allocated to news in total from 260 hours per year to 280 hours per year;
    - Time allocated to news in peak-time from 100 hours per year to 120 hours per year.[/INDENT]

C5 is already meeting these targets, so there will be no noticeable change.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom change of control review:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/ccrs/CofC_Review_Channel_5.pdf

The minimum levels of news and original productions will increase slightly:

C5 is already meeting these targets, so there will be no noticeable change.

Who said there would be no noticeable change?

Why increase your quotas for no reason, what it should and probably will do is push Viacom to exceed these targets!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »

Why increase your quotas for no reason, what it should and probably will do is push Viacom to exceed these targets!

They're already exceeding the targets. I see little reason to add more news to the schedule, since it's costly and (In C5's case) doesn't pull in a big audience.

Meanwhile..
    Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
    Channel 5 is looking to change its image by showing more upmarket programmes and becoming less defined by the reality show Big Brother.

<snip>

The changes at Channel 5 are likely to see Big Brother pushed to the margins of the late-night schedule. Mr Desmond bought the show in 2011 after eight months of negotiations with producers Endemol and it provided the backbone of the schedule during much of his four-year ownership of the public-service broadcaster.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-5-gives-big-brother-the-cold-shoulder-9811916.html
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Viacom buy the station, and to ensure that the regulator allows that to go through they change the licence to match the current state of play - no material change in the service needed and the regulator pats themselves on the back for preserving original content.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    The boxing tonight looks like it's coming from the BT Sport studios.

Big change from the crappy cheap looking set they used a couple of times during the Desmond era when not ringside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The boxing tonight looks like it's coming from the BT Sport studios.

Big change from the crappy cheap looking set they used a couple of times during the Desmond era when not ringside.

Maybe Channel 5 are planning to get more sports rights and using Boxing as a test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I really do think there are exciting times ahead for C5 - who'd have thought? There is still work to be done though.

I read a similar article on big brother getting the "cold shoulder" but it discussed Viacom's wanting to upmarket the channel with a new branding. It never referred specifically to the logo branding but I do think, in the near future, we'll see a new logo branding and development from C5.

I don't think giving Big Brother that time slot is a good idea though. Regardless of what it has become it still gets good ratings. They should look at the show and take it back to its original concept and do the cliché thing of bring back live feed. Then, the should could become a strong brand for the channel.

In terms of US imports I think that is where they'll strike gold. The "Drama on 5" slot is likely to becoming the biggest thing it has, but it needs time. The shows it puts there are good ones but they need to be cared for and promoted well. In terms of timing I wonder if 9pm, as opposed to 10 (or Midnight in Dallas' case) is a good.

With VIVA and 5* merging, somewhat, it should create something better on that sister channel and as for 5USA, well, I'm not entirely sure. Channel 5 does an ok job, one it is clearly trying to develop in with US imports, the sister channel is full of CSI and NCIS repeats, with the odd original, I wonder if axing it/merging it with 5* and giving its original content to C5 would be beneficial?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do think there are exciting times ahead for C5 - who'd have thought? There is still work to be done though.

I read a similar article on big brother getting the "cold shoulder" but it discussed Viacom's wanting to upmarket the channel with a new branding. It never referred specifically to the logo branding but I do think, in the near future, we'll see a new logo branding and development from C5.

I don't think giving Big Brother that time slot is a good idea though. Regardless of what it has become it still gets good ratings. They should look at the show and take it back to its original concept and do the cliché thing of bring back live feed. Then, the should could become a strong brand for the channel.

In terms of US imports I think that is where they'll strike gold. The "Drama on 5" slot is likely to becoming the biggest thing it has, but it needs time. The shows it puts there are good ones but they need to be cared for and promoted well. In terms of timing I wonder if 9pm, as opposed to 10 (or Midnight in Dallas' case) is a good.

With VIVA and 5* merging, somewhat, it should create something better on that sister channel and as for 5USA, well, I'm not entirely sure. Channel 5 does an ok job, one it is clearly trying to develop in with US imports, the sister channel is full of CSI and NCIS repeats, with the odd original, I wonder if axing it/merging it with 5* and giving its original content to C5 would be beneficial?

Big Brother does not get good ratings considering it is on a channel that is available on pretty much every tv in the country including in hotels, it just gets good ratings compared to everything else on the channel.

Also they will never bring back the live feed, simply because as mentioned a million times, that was a decision by Endemol and not Channel 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Big Brother does not get good ratings considering it is on a channel that is available on pretty much every tv in the country including in hotels, it just gets good ratings compared to everything else on the channel.

Also they will never bring back the live feed, simply because as mentioned a million times, that was a decision by Endemol and not Channel 5.

Then, by your standards C5 should just shut down entirely. They do not get the desired ratings that I or you would have for the station. 1/1.5 million on the civilian and 2 million on CBB is necessarily good for the channel as they don't tend to exceed 3 million with any show.

I completely disagree, the last I heard was that Endemol supported live feed, why wouldn't they when that was the thing that made the show different and it is their show. It's complete nonsense to suggest otherwise, it is Channel 5 that has chosen not to have live feed.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Channel 5 are planning to get more sports rights and using Boxing as a test.
    I hope so. Boxing is effectively the only live sport on the channel which is a shame. Outside of the boxing or UFC there aren't many regular sporting rights that Channel Five would be able to secure.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do have things like the great south run as well - shown yesterday btw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    I hope so. Boxing is effectively the only live sport on the channel which is a shame. Outside of the boxing or UFC there aren't many regular sporting rights that Channel Five would be able to secure.

Maybe some of the smaller sports that only get shown on BBC Red Button could work for them like the Olympia Horse Show.
    Forum Member
    5USA won't be axed. It has a 1.1% share of the viewing currently according to BARB, which makes it the 2nd most watched channel in the Viacom family after Channel 5.

It's already being improved under Viacom and becoming less reliant on repeats. This week for example you have new to Freeview episodes of Castle, Longmire and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit playing in the 9pm slot. Chicago PD has just finished a very successful first series on the channel and will be back as soon as January. Still work to be done to maximise the potential of the brand, but 3-4 hours a week of new content is an improvement on the 0-2 hours we saw previously and a step in the right direction.
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    The cricket highlights rate well. It would be lovely to see live cricket return to terrestrial, in particular the Ashes. Can't see it happening as Sky would fight tooth and nail to keep it but you never know.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours & Home and Away to start airing on viva from 1/11/14 @10am onwards.
    Forum Member
    Breaking: Viacom will simulcast next month's MTV Europe Music Awards on Channel 5.
    MUSIC: MTV EMAs 2014 - Live From Glasgow
    On: Channel 5 (5)
    Date: Sunday 9th November 2014 (starting in 13 days)
    Time: 21:00 to 23:00 (2 hours long)

Sorry no additional information is currently available
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=87587

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

I didn't expect them to show it live, I thought they might screen a repeat though.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Breaking: Viacom will simulcast next month's MTV Europe Music Awards on Channel 5.

I didn't expect them to show it live, I thought they might screen a repeat though.

Don't really see the point in that. It is diluting the value of the MTV channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Don't really see the point in that. It is diluting the value of the MTV channel.

The EMAs haven't rated very well for the last couple of years, so this might provide the boost they need. Last year the show was simulcast live on three MTV channels and attracted 131,000 viewers in total.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EMAs haven't rated very well for the last couple of years, so this might provide the boost they need. Last year the show was simulcast live on three MTV channels and attracted 131,000 viewers in total.

Apart from the fact that it shows up today's music for the rubbish it is :D
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant see any mention of them on vivas epg for then for home and away and neighbours
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    cant see any mention of them on vivas epg for then for home and away and neighbours

Still time for the EPG to be updated.I will keep an eye on it and post when it changes. *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »

Suppose its less chance to hear the rubbish music of today.