Options

What the hell is wrong with the South and Snow?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people still get arsey every time the capital is mentioned on the national news :confused:

I've never understood the rage directed toward London on here.

God forbid the UK have a capital city and actually acknowledge it!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Is it the people or the bloody News??

I'm sorry but it has snowed in the past and has snowed deeper than this, but it seems people and the news are going a little OTT.

All you hear about is the BIG FREEZE "den sewff".

A lot of the focus is on the South of the UK where airports and roads have virtually stopped over 1-2 inches of snow. :eek:
    Conveniently forgetting than only 2weeks ago Scotland and the North had well over a foot - yes 30+cm. Manchester airport is running normally after 15-20cm fell on Friday-Sat and temps last night were near -20 here.

Driving back from London- I was shocked at the amount of drivers in and around the city who were just going way too fast for the conditions. A lot were also thinking that if they pressed the accelerator more they wouldn't skid when setting off !

I cant ever remember there being so much focus, stupidity and hysterics about the Snow before. And with every cold spell it seems to be getting worse. Even the weather centres are issuing red alerts for 5-10cm and 0-4C- :confused:

Maybe you should rephrase the heading to What is it with BAA , Eurostar and some Train companies in the South.

The rest of us in the South seem to be able to manage a little snow just fine, its those companies that can't. As for drivers, idiots are not exlcusive to the South or London.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Loads wrong with the South, but Snow is pretty!
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    This. Snow was quite unusual down here until the last couple of years.

Maybe there should be a thread asking What The Hell Is With People From The North Always Taking A Pop At The South...you guys seem more obsessed with what's going on down here than we do and use EVERY SINGLE oppertunity to put the boot in and boast your superiority while bragging about how hard you are.

Contary to what the news portrays, most of us just get on with it when it snows.
    Its awful when you are not used to snow, its also awful when you are and I do hav sympathy with people who have a lot of snow

Im from Durham and most years we have a big snowfall or two and we have trouble getting to work, shops and schools but then no one down south seems to hear about it

Last year we had snow from the 23Dec until 16April

What I think narks us (bragging obsessive) northerners is that when the north is deluged with snow (Ive had snow and only one day above freezing since Nov 23 ) it seems to not be newsworthy to the main news channels
    yet when the southern part of the country gets a snowfall and its gone in a couple of days it becomes the end of days scenario

As for airports, Newcastle maybe the back of beyond to the south and not worthy of international flights in some peoples eyes (you know because we are so poor, thick and jealous of the south) but it only closed for a couple of hours during the heaviest of the snowfalls and has only had delays for a couple of hours since then cancelled flights have been because of other airports

I dont think any less of people just because they are from the south but I think some people should realise life doesnt stop existing north of Luton
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its awful when you are not used to snow, its also awful when you are and I do hav sympathy with people who have a lot of snow

Im from Durham and most years we have a big snowfall or two and we have trouble getting to work, shops and schools but then no one down south seems to hear about it

What I think narks us (bragging obsessive) northerners is that when the north is deluged with snow (Ive had snow and only one day above freezing since Nov 23 ) it seems to not be newsworthy to the main news channels
    yet when the southern part of the country gets a snowfall and its gone in a couple of days it becomes the end of days scenario

As for airports, Newcastle maybe the back of beyond to the south and not worthy of international flights in some peoples eyes (you know because we are so poor, thick and jealous of the south) but it only closed for a couple of hours during the heaviest of the snowfalls and has only had delays for a couple of hours since then cancelled flights have been because of other airports

I dont think any less of people just because they are from the south but I think some people should realise life doesnt stop existing north of Luton

Isn't your issue with the media not the people?

You do sound very jealous.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not 'us' (Joe Public) that decide what / where is newsworthy, but common sense says you cannot compare Newcastle and Heathrow in terms of volume of passengers I'm afraid.

I'm not having a go, but the sheer amount of people caught up in this mess is quite astounding.

Forget North and South, I just feel so sorry for those stuck in the UK that cannot get home. Poor people!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forget North and South, I just feel so sorry for those stuck in the UK that cannot get home. Poor people!!

Ditto. I feel so awful for anyone who is trapped in this and for people who have had their Christmas plans ruined. :(

What's to be gained by using this as an excuse to fuel the silly North vs South thing, anyway? Absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I bought myself a pair of autosocks for my car for £50. So much easier getting to work now!

http://www.autosock.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well I have never had snow thats been remotly deep un my whole 22 years of life.

We may get a millimeter or 2, but it has never been over my foot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it "Poor Me Me Me" week up there? I haven't seen one post from anyone in the south bleating about weather, but I have seen a fair few whining on about terrible winters in the north. Well you won't get any sympathy by talking like a wuss. Winter happens every year. You'll just have to get used to it and get over it like everybody else.

I live in the south and have no control over what is said by any news programme on tv or radio or in the newspapers and you won't find any post by me moaning about snow. We leave that to northerners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not 'us' (Joe Public) that decide what / where is newsworthy, but common sense says you cannot compare Newcastle and Heathrow in terms of volume of passengers I'm afraid.

I'm not having a go, but the sheer amount of people caught up in this mess is quite astounding.

I'm from a major city in the Northeastern part of the Midwest. Our major airport has shut for the following reasons:

*Severe snow.
    *Severe extreme temps
    *Severe winds

We are generally prepared for this, but like Heathrow, a major hub is situated in our city. You cannot compare the smaller airport in the same city to the major one.

Like I said earlier, this level of cold, this early in the year has caught out a lot of places-- not just the south. Oh and, the North doesn't keep moving quite as well as they'd like, since I had to abandon some work up there a couple of weeks ago because of weather. It's crap for all involved and bragging about who's tougher is just silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Is it "Poor Me Me Me" week up there? I haven't seen one post from anyone in the south bleating about weather, but I have seen a fair few whining on about terrible winters in the north. Well you won't get any sympathy by talking like a wuss. Winter happens every year. You'll just have to get used to it and get over it like everybody else.

I live in the south and have no control over what is said by any news programme on tv or radio or in the newspapers and you won't find any post by me moaning about snow. We leave that to northerners.

Trust me, none of their winters have been as bad as the ones I experienced every year in my home state. We just accept after summer is over, winter will begin (hell, I've seen snow in September) until it ends (I've seen snow in May.)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope anyone isn't planning on going to Peterborough & beyond by train today East Coast Mainline has cancelled their trains

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-12049086
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust me, none of their winters have been as bad as the ones I experienced every year in my home state. We just accept after summer is over, winter will begin (hell, I've seen snow in September) until it ends (I've seen snow in May.)

That's exactly what I was getting at. You just have to cope, move or wither.

I can remember having snow still on the ground in April or May once, in 1963, but it didn't begin as early as September and it had actually fallen quite some time before May and simply not thawed.
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire is one place I would love to visit one day actually. Also Pluckley in Kent where they filmed Darling buds of may.
    That's south of course though.

In the summer, they do a fair/fate on the grounds where that was filmed. Must say, I don't think I was born when the show was on and didn't see the appeal, but went with the family.

They have a classic car show too and the main attraction, of course, is that big yellow thing used in the filming of the show.

Despite that I was bored senseless, the day was worth it alone for the fact the 'parking/picnic' area was covered in sheep sh*t and my sister, in her white dress, sat straight in a pile. And when we first arrived, we could see people walking through the gardens and assumed the house was 'open' too. Went in the kitchen where two women were sat eating toast... Yeah, they lived there and we let ourselves in. :o
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Anyway back to the snow thing. With all these North and South bashers (very :yawn:) but where do you lot think the divide is? At point of my journey down the A1 do I become South and where am I North?
    I wouldn't waste time thinking about it Shadow, because one person says Newcastle is north, another from further up will probably argue that it is south. ;) Forget about the divide, just do as you have - say Newcastle, Cornwall and Essex and let others who are so concerned over this silly divide work it out for themselves (as they will!).

You seem to presume a lot in your post! :D Firstly you say no-one from in south seems to have heard about it (the big snow falls in Durham) - how and where did you cast your poll? What made you think the whole south didn't hear about it?
    Secondly you say that the south is seemingly getting endless news coverage but as mentioned many times in this thread - especially on the previous page - the focus is on Heathrow, one of the busiest airports in the world, Eurostar, only passenger train service to Europe, and their abnormal endless lengthy queues and related issues.
    I agree as well that there is a lot of coverage but I can't recall another occasion where people had to sleep on terminal floors for days or wait in queues that are a kilometre long outside a station to the point that the Red Cross had to come out to cater! :) Whether we in the South or you in the North like it or not, the fact is it is unusual circumstances, one where it hasn't happened anywhere as bad or worse than that due to the weather (well not that I know of), hence why there is so much coverage. You might want to send your comments to the news station and see what their official reasoning is.

Lastly I can't speak for anyone else but I never thought of Newcastle or its airport as the back of beyond or not worthy of international flights; I would have thought anyone thinking that be silly to make that presumption. But it's a long stretch to compare an airport with 5mil passengers a year to one that's the largest in the UK with 65+ mil passenger a year! Neither did I thought life stopped after passing the M25. ;)
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dropped my daughters friend home & the thermometer in my car said 6 degrees. It cant be that warm surely? Our snow has pretty much gone on the main roads though, so maybe it's possible. I knew it was warmer today. Oh & good news for Heathrow ey, flights have started up properly again tonight..
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the london centric media over hyping things,they love it as it keeps their rolling news coverage busy and they get to play in the snow when the cameras stop.Its nothing to do with a North/south thing.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what were all those TV news reporters doing a couple of weeks ago, knee deep in snow in various parts of Durham and Northumberland etc., not to mention many parts of Scotland?

Perhaps they were just there to report on the reactions of the local population to the Test Matches in Australia.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    So what were all those TV news reporters doing a couple of weeks ago, knee deep in snow in various parts of Durham and Northumberland etc., not to mention many parts of Scotland?

Perhaps they were just there to report on the reactions of the local population to the Test Matches in Australia.

No they were there to report on the locals reaction to the weather in the south.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allfiredup wrote: »
    No they were there to report on the locals reaction to the weather in the south.
    Being 25 miles from the south coast, I didn't want to say that. :D
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Hope anyone isn't planning on going to Peterborough & beyond by train today East Coast Mainline has cancelled their trains

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-12049086

please dont say there will be snow in Peterborough ive got a new washing machine coming down on a truck for delivery on thursday from there and i wont be able to cope if it doesnt arrive before christmas :D
  • Options
    bonpennybonpenny Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    It's gonna be interesting when the Beeb (or some of the News parts of it), move to Salford. Will they have a Manc-centric view of things?
    Yeah, I know Salford is a City in its own right.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Being 25 miles from the south coast, I didn't want to say that. :D

I wrestled a Polar Bear just outside K2 today and fought off a horde of Eskimos who couldn't make it to Sainsburys in Broadfield. You don't hear that on the news.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    bonpenny wrote: »
    It's gonna be interesting when the Beeb (or some of the News parts of it), move to Salford. Will they have a Manc-centric view of things?
    Yeah, I know Salford is a City in its own right.

I bet you will see more balance.