American Beers in UK?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok we have Miller and Bud, but I can remember Bud Light, Miller Light, Michelob, Red Dog, Rolling Rock, what happened to the half of them? We now only have Bud and Miller

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    dave81uk wrote: »
    Ok we have Miller and Bud, but I can remember Bud Light, Miller Light, Michelob, Red Dog, Rolling Rock, what happened to the half of them? We now only have Bud and Miller

And thats two too many, no? I think the reason there aren;t more is that theres no market
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I think there are decent beers in the US but none get imported over here sadly. Unless someone can enlighten me.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    I think there are decent beers in the US but none get imported over here sadly. Unless someone can enlighten me.

There are lots of decent beers in the US but almost all of them are local or regional brews which probably don't have the production capacity or marketing reach for international markets. The nationwide beers are all terrible.

Microbreweries and Brewpubs are becoming very popular.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually their beers, like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. are what we call lagers over here!!

You can still find American beers here as I have seen them in off licences(liquor stores!!!:D:D)!!

I usually buy Corona, although thats predominately a Mexican beer!!
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And thats two too many, no? I think the reason there aren;t more is that theres no market

America produce some amazing beers. Bud no more represents the quality of American beer than Carling represents the quality of British beer.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samuel Adams isn't a bad drink, not something I would want more than one of though
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many excellent micro-breweries, but too small to export. You can usually get Anchor Steam and Liberty Pale Ale, though - had a bottle just the other week.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrisons sell Sierra Nevada. Otherwise there are often small off-licences which sell imported beers. There's one not far from me which sells beer/lager from Cuba, Mexico, South America, the US, Spain, etc and all brands that don't get into the big supermarkets.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I used to really like Miller, but they don't serve it any more around here. Coors Light is a really nice refreshing lager. Great for the summer.

But it depends on price and availability. TBH if fosters is 1.50/1.85 a pint then i'm going to buy that over a pint costing 2.30+
  • tim1966tim1966 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with posters who say there are some great American beers, just quite difficult tto get hold of. Some of the independent beers shops have some great examples. For anyone near York there is a great beer shop on Stonegate.

Of the supermarkets, my favourite two are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Tesco & Morrisons amongst others) which has a very distinctive flavour and Blue Moon (now stocked in some Sainsburys) which is a great wheat beer, which goes very well with spicy food.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American beer is mass-produced chemical stuff and not worthy of mention.

That's about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »

That's about it.

Some of it is. Remember the most popular beer in this country is Carling, hardly a shining example of the British brewing industry is it?
    Forum Member

That's about it.

What a load of tosh :) you could say the same about most European beer. The difference is we get to buy a lot more locally produced stuff as it is affordable. You go to most cities or large towns in the US and there are fantastic micro-breweries producing great beers. They are just too small to be able to export.

If you go to a bar in the US that stocks European beer the majority of it is Stella, Guinness, Heineken or Newcastle Brown, hardly hand crafted beer. I suppose Americans must say all European beer is mass produced and full of chemicals.

Sorry for the rant, I just get annoyed with the sweeping generalisations that people make saying it must be rubbish because it's American!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's about it.

Hardly.
    That's like saying Belgian beer is mass produced chemical stuff not worth a mention if you'd only ever had Stella.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Samuel Adams isn't a bad drink, not something I would want more than one of though

One of my fave brews! Availability in the UK isn't very good though - not sure how to get it these days..
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we want American beer anyway when there is plenty of smaller brewery's in this country that makes some great beer?

We got one local here, that makes some nice beer and there are others dotted around the country.
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with the people who say it's unfair to tar all American beer as weak, chemical sh*t.

But it has to be said, Budweiser does seem to be the most reviled beer of any country anywhere. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim1966 wrote: »
    What a load of tosh :) you could say the same about most European beer. The difference is we get to buy a lot more locally produced stuff as it is affordable. You go to most cities or large towns in the US and there are fantastic micro-breweries producing great beers. They are just too small to be able to export.

If you go to a bar in the US that stocks European beer the majority of it is Stella, Guinness, Heineken or Newcastle Brown, hardly hand crafted beer. I suppose Americans must say all European beer is mass produced and full of chemicals.

Sorry for the rant, I just get annoyed with the sweeping generalisations that people make saying it must be rubbish because it's American!

Calm down at the back of the class, please. The question was about American beers in the UK. My answer is that what we get is rubbish.

OK, the same applies to European beers in the US.

Fair enough. When in Rome, do what the Romans do. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Hardly.
    That's like saying Belgian beer is mass produced chemical stuff not worth a mention if you'd only ever had Stella.

You've missed the point of the question as well, so no house points for you.

Belgian beers are good in Belgium.

UK beer is good in the UK.

For the one who suggested that Carling is beer, you need detention. It is a chemical lager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the people who say it's unfair to tar all American beer as weak, chemical sh*t.

But it has to be said, Budweiser does seem to be the most reviled beer of any country anywhere. :D

The big problem is that most of the U.s crops are GM, so if they beer is made in the states then no doubt it uses GM hops, wheat or what ever else they stick in their beer.

i am not a organic person, but I prefer my beer to come with Hops in that are not mucked around with in a lab.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The big problem is that most of the U.s crops are GM, so if they beer is made in the states then no doubt it uses GM hops, wheat or what ever else they stick in their beer.

i am not a organic person, but I prefer my beer to come with Hops in that are not mucked around with in a lab.

Do you know for a fact that being GM affects the flavour? And I'm pretty sure Bud was considered rubbish pre-GM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know for a fact that being GM affects the flavour? And I'm pretty sure Bud was considered rubbish pre-GM.

Did i say it affected the flavour? if you want to drink beer made of Frankenstein oats/hops then you do so, Myself i prefer not to.

Hopefully they will keep it out of our food and country,

There is no need for it, the raw ingredients grow fine without sticking genes in them from another plant.

Still prefer British beer as long as it is cold, Real British Ale, one thing we can still do right most of the time and no artificial rubbish in it. Just because America likes hand control over to Monsanta, we don't. that what annoys them, we say no and they hates it.
    Forum Member
    Calm down at the back of the class, please. The question was about American beers in the UK. My answer is that what we get is rubbish.

OK, the same applies to European beers in the US.

Fair enough. When in Rome, do what the Romans do. :)

I am totally calm, and while I say you may be right about the original post suggesting, all though not explicitly saying, US beers available here, you did not say this at all in your post. You said 'American beers beers are mass produced etc etc!' clearly implying that you have that opinion of all American beers, IMHO. Clarity is important, wars have been started over such misunderstandings:D and we really don't want a great DS international beer war.

You know what will happen, the English will launch a bitter offensive, swiftly repelled by by a Belgian fruit beer counter attack. The USA will then enter (a little later than everyone
    else) with the massed forces of Anhauser Busch before the Aussies finish it all off and it will all be over by XXXX new year!

Have a happy new year everyone and whatever you drink, drink it responsibly! :D
  • scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »

Stella as produced in Leuven is a world away from the "Stella" brewed under licence in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Why do we want American beer anyway when there is plenty of smaller brewery's in this country that makes some great beer?

We got one local here, that makes some nice beer and there are others dotted around the country.

Because they do great beers. Why do we need Belgian beers or any other countries?