Law of Retford - a.k.a. "Will someone think of the starving Africans/Haitians?"

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm starting a new meme, why should 4Chan and /b/ get all the credit for the memes out there? Goes along a similar line to Godwin's Law - in a forum discussion about benefits or poverty, the likelihood of a "starving African/Haitian/other third world country" being mentioned to belittle the other person approaches 1 as the forum discussion lengthens. Feel free to spread this across the Internet - Urban Dictionary and Know Your Meme would be a good start. :D:D:D

Now, this is General Discussion, so serious question. Why do people resort to using this fallacy when someone is talking about poverty in this country, when they have no idea that the reason why many people in third world countries are stricken with poverty is because of war, corrupt regimes who take money and spend it on giving themselves sports cars and mansions whilst allowing their citizens to starve and disasters which are beyond the control of the average citizen in the aforementioned third world countries?

I had this happen before, been without money before and someone told me "think of a starving African with no food or water". Now whilst that is a tragedy, it isn't my fault that the African has no food or water, blame for that should go to the (corrupt) Government of the country that the African lives in. It's a fallacy and belittling tactic of the worst and most tragic order.

Maybe people need to think about why people in third world countries are stricken without food, water or essentials before using that easy cop-out to undermine the argument of someone trying to highlight poverty in this country.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that poverty in this country isn't real "poverty" though. Not anymore.

Alot of poverty in this country is self-inflicted by people who have no money for food until payday, yet are surrounded by lovely things such as phones, playstations, TVs and a new dining table. There doesn't seem to be any 'planning ahead'.

If I have £100 and my bills come to £80, I'd have £20 left over...at least that's how I see it. Lots of my friends would see it that they have "£20 left to spend".
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I'm starting a new meme, why should 4Chan and /b/ get all the credit for the memes out there? Goes along a similar line to Godwin's Law - in a forum discussion about benefits or poverty, the likelihood of a "starving African/Haitian/other third world country" being mentioned to belittle the other person approaches 1 as the forum discussion lengthens. Feel free to spread this across the Internet - Urban Dictionary and Know Your Meme would be a good start. :D:D:D

Now, this is General Discussion, so serious question. Why do people resort to using this fallacy when someone is talking about poverty in this country, when they have no idea that the reason why many people in third world countries are stricken with poverty is because of war, corrupt regimes who take money and spend it on giving themselves sports cars and mansions whilst allowing their citizens to starve and disasters which are beyond the control of the average citizen in the aforementioned third world countries?

I had this happen before, been without money before and someone told me "think of a starving African with no food or water". Now whilst that is a tragedy, it isn't my fault that the African has no food or water, blame for that should go to the (corrupt) Government of the country that the African lives in. It's a fallacy and belittling tactic of the worst and most tragic order.

Maybe people need to think about why people in third world countries are stricken without food, water or essentials before using that easy cop-out to undermine the argument of someone trying to highlight poverty in this country.

Is the inspiration for this my post in the politics forum about poverty ? :p
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's been used a lot in many places, it's as widespread as "Godwin's Law", which I quoted and linked to an article on Wikipedia in the original post.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is, we should rename the law after you - Pillock's Law has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
    Forum Member
    This is what I said and I stand by it

There is no such thing as real poor in this country, if you think there is then you should do some research on Haiti and the slums of Indian cities, that is where you find real poor.

Poor to me is having no running water, no food, raw sewage, covered in flies, risk of dysentry and cholera that is real poor

In the UK being poor means having the basic Sky channels as opposed to the sports and movies channels, having a 32" plasma instead of a 42",
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I said and I stand by it

There is no such thing as real poor in this country, if you think there is then you should do some research on Haiti and the slums of Indian cities, that is where you find real poor.

Poor to me is having no running water, no food, raw sewage, covered in flies, risk of dysentry and cholera that is real poor

In the UK being poor means having the basic Sky channels as opposed to the sports and movies channels, having a 32" plasma instead of a 42",

Oh good, I get to re-use my "oh dear oh dear oh dear" twice in the same thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I would counteract that by saying, whose responsibility is it to make the lives of the poor in third world countries better? It isn't the low paid and the poor in this country - should society really accept that the poor of this country should have a lifestyle alongside those in slums, shanty towns or abject poverty because people in third world countries do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    solarflare wrote: »
    Oh good, I get to re-use my "oh dear oh dear oh dear" twice in the same thread.
    Would you please like to provide an explanation for your stance?

Not sure about you, but seeing this fallacy all the time is grinding my gears:

Person A: The low paid are being exploited by employers using loopholes to pay them a meagre wage/The homeless face being turfed off the street under new Vagrancy laws and it's immoral/The poor are being taken for a ride because they can't get credit from the banks.
    Person B: They're not poor. Someone in an African slum or in Haiti is poor - no food, no money, disease, shanty towns...
    Person A: That avoids my point completely. Whilst that is a tragedy, isn't it the responsibility of the countries Government to help the poor of their country, instead of using money given to them to finance war or help themselves?
    Person B: Will someone please think of the starving Africans/Haitians?
    (and loop...)
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I'm more fascinated by the galling forum meme that if you are unemployed you can afford massive TVs, satalite channels and luxury food but if you work you can't afford any of them... indeed the worker cannot even afford a 19" flatscreen TV to perch round with the family at Christmas whilst they share a plate of beans on toast, all huddled in a blanket because they can;t afford to pay for heating... apparently.

Silly me... the hard working family™ can't afford toast... and they're economy beans stolen from the spoiled section behind Nettos.
    Forum Member
    And I would counteract that by saying, whose responsibility is it to make the lives of the poor in third world countries better? It isn't the low paid and the poor in this country - should society really accept that the poor of this country should have a lifestyle alongside those in slums, shanty towns or abject poverty because people in third world countries do?

No but a bit of perspective is in order.

I live in the London/Surrey borders and the council estate half a mile from me where the local poor live it is quicker to count the houses that DON'T have a Sky dish and several of the cars on the estate are 4 wheel drives and in one case a Jaguar, if this is how the so called poor live then they would be considered having the lifestyle of royalty in many parts of the world
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Poverty is relative. People say "Yeah but real poverty is x and y" but what constitutes poverty depends on your location, income etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are happy to say that it's not your fault that the African is starving, and are happy that someone else says that it's not their fault that you are in poverty, then that's all right, isn't it?
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just about poverty - it's also often said with regard to anything the poster doesn't like being discussed. Such lines as 'is it really that important?', 'of all the things going on in the world, does this really matter' etc.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The people who experience poverty on that kind of scale, it's not their fault either.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "been without money"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...if this is how the so called poor live then they would be considered having the lifestyle of royalty in many parts of the world
    I agree, but who is at fault for those in third world countries being poor? It isn't my fault, it's likely to lie at the feet of those causing war or corrupt Governments, that's my argument.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "been without money"?
    Nothing in the bank - nothing.

Your only options are to borrow money or sell something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I'm more fascinated by the galling forum meme that if you are unemployed you can afford massive TVs, satalite channels and luxury food but if you work you can't afford any of them... indeed the worker cannot even afford a 19" flatscreen TV to perch round with the family at Christmas whilst they share a plate of beans on toast, all huddled in a blanket because they can;t afford to pay for heating... apparently.

Silly me... the hard working family™ can't afford toast... and they're economy beans stolen from the spoiled section behind Nettos.

LOL.

Maybe the problem here is that Bright House™ and all of the other similar stores are only open when employed people are already at work? Perhaps if they did a couple of late nights, us workers could also be mesmerised by their sales pitch of, "This TV will only cost you £9 a week and if you ever get sick of paying for it, just give us a call and we'll come and collect it from you. Even if it's in 4 years time!"

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but who is at fault for those in third world countries being poor? It isn't my fault, it's likely to lie at the feet of those causing war or corrupt Governments, that's my argument.

OK.

So by this argument people in those countries have more of an excuse or reason for being in poverty than people in this country where there is considerably less excuse for being in poverty - seeing as we have a theoretically less corrupt government and greater opportunities for citizens. By that argument.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a problem if a legitimate argument is shot down with "Well think of the Africans", "At least you're not in Haiti", "Well, it could be worse, look at ..". You could pull that card out every time somebody had a genuine complaint about the state of the country or every time the government did something unpopular, and we'd end up going nowhere. The country would stop progressing if our only desire was to be slightly better than [insert slum here].

On the issue of the poor though, I think it's true that the 'poverty' here isn't comparable to that of the other nations. There's also the fact that many 'poor' people in this country are in some way responsible for their 'poverty' (minus a few obvious exceptions) where as those in 3rd world countries have little control over their life. That's not to say our 'poor' don't deserve help or compassion, but the help they need might not be just money.

In this country we often think the solution to poverty is to throw more money at people, ignoring the fact many people have/had money but choose not to spend it wisely. When they spend that money the same way, they end up just as poor.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do have a point there to be fair.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing in the bank - nothing.

Your only options are to borrow money or sell something.

So you have no food, water, electricity?

Or nowhere to live? Wet, cold, starving, diseased?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]
    In this country we often think the solution to poverty is to throw more money at people, ignoring the fact many people have/had money but choose not to spend it wisely. When they spend that money the same way, they end up just as poor.

Couldn't have said it better! Very well put. :)
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh haven't really seen that argument being used much before, hardly worthy of a meme.

Oh and if you have to be conspicuous enough to mention that you want it to become a meme, it won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    So you have no food, water, electricity?

Or nowhere to live? Wet, cold, starving, diseased?
    I think we should celebrate in this country that we have a welfare system which prevents the citizens of this country from falling into a trap of abject poverty where living in a shanty town wondering when the next meal will come is the norm.

This is something a Government should be doing. I hope that other third world countries will begin to enact welfare systems to help improve the quality of life of their citizens, but I suspect many will have a vested interest not to.

Not much I can do to bring political change to third world countries, because I ain't the financial minister of Nigeria to give one example!