Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Wow. Ok then.

Maybe she done all those things for her roles but she has given two of the best acting performances of her career, nothing to do with how much weight she lost etc. People need to give credit where it's due. She done an amazing job.

I think Anne attracts alot of hate for no reason, I didn't think there was any on DS, was obviously wrong....

AND I can't believe someone mentioned her up-skirt shot, what's that got to do with it, get over it.

I don't hate her - she is actually excellent when she is kinda parodying some of her earlier performances such as in Alice in Wonderland as the white queen. She is an excellent comedy actor. Talking of which if Anne Hathaway was doing a parody (a la Saturday Night Live) of OTT musicals she would sobs herself silly and croak with emotion on every line.So was Les Miserables parody? My point is this year is not her best ... in the Batman film only the hero and the villain really get a chance to shine. Her performance was fine but not outstanding much like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's . As for les mis it is a marmite drizzled with tears thing.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have the people who say she doesn't deserve to win seen Les Mis?

Even if I wasn't a fan, if I'd seen the film I don't think I could come away and say she doesn't deserve to win.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate her - she is actually excellent when she is kinda parodying some of her earlier performances such as in Alice in Wonderland as the white queen. She is an excellent comedy actor. Talking of which if Anne Hathaway was doing a parody (a la Saturday Night Live) of OTT musicals she would sobs herself silly and croak with emotion on every line.So was Les Miserables parody? My point is this year is not her best ... in the Batman film only the hero and the villain really get a chance to shine. Her performance was fine but not outstanding much like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's . As for les mis it is a marmite drizzled with tears thing.

Are you serious?
    I will definitely have to disagree with you.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Anne will mention Susan Boyle in her acceptance speech?:D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »
    probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

but never underestimate the power of the emperor’s new clothes!

You haven't seen the film. :)

Well deserving of best supporting actress. There is no leading actress in Les Mis.
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so obvious she will win.

And so will Jessica Chastain.

The other nominees needn't bother turning up because they won't be getting a look in!!

The awards are sooo predictable these days.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    It's so obvious she will win.

And so will Jessica Chastain.

The other nominees needn't bother turning up because they won't be getting a look in!!

The awards are sooo predictable these days.

Bit in bold: that's still a two-horse race between Chastain and Lawrence, not predictable at all.

Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress are the only hugely predictable ones of the main categories this year.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen the film - Anne was absolutely mesmorising!! I hope she wins
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, charming :rolleyes:

This similarly charming Wikipedia article will explain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Just seen the film - Anne was absolutely mesmorising!! I hope she wins

I agree - she was outstanding. If she doesn't win, then I will be very surprised! (And I'm not a "fanboy" of her's, but she surprised me in Batman and blew me away in Les Mis)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »

And for every time it's happened there's at least one time it hasn't. I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few unnecessary comments lol.

Great to see alot of people think she will and deserves to win. :)
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Yes or No?
    I think she gave the best female performance of 2012. Period.
    Absolute perfection as both Selina Kyle and Fantine.
    I really hope she wins.

I'd like her to win. I love Anne. :)

Awesome username btw. Cute, funny and very scottish. :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    hehe, you've got to love some of the articles you find on wikipedia :D
    And for every time it's happened there's at least one time it hasn't. I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.
    You'd expect it not to happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I'd like her to win. I love Anne. :)

Awesome username btw. Cute, funny and very scottish. :D

I think it's her time to win!!

and thank you lol! I am indeed very Scottish! Ha.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.

OK, it was irrelevant. I'm going to crawl back to the Showbiz forum!
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will. She'll probably give Halle Berry a run for her money in terms of an over the top, emotional speech. I personally find her insufferable.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she will. She'll probably give Halle Berry a run for her money in terms of an over the top, emotional speech. I personally find her insufferable.

Any reasons to why she is insufferable? She is perhaps one of the least publicized Actresses around. Very private person. Has never said any offensive comments and has never made a dick out of herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well her Golden Globes speech was perfectly normal, as far as awards speeches go...
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    This isn't even a question. Anyone who thinks she's losing this Oscar is either deluded or stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well her Golden Globes speech was perfectly normal, as far as awards speeches go...

Oscar>>>>>Golden Globe. The Oscar holds way more weight than a GG award and is the bigger award, hence why she'll probably go all out with her speech if she wins. She's so desperate to win the Oscar you can practically smell it.

Other than the Sally Field part, her GG speech came across as incredibly forced, rehearsed and insincere. I just find her off-putting and fake.
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? Best female performance? But shes barely in the film lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oscar>>>>>Golden Globe. The Oscar holds way more weight than a GG award and is the bigger award, hence why she'll probably go all out with her speech if she wins. She's so desperate to win the Oscar you can practically smell it. I'd p!ss myself if Jacki Weaver won over her but that isn't going to happen.

Other than the Sally Field part, her GG speech came across as incredibly forced, rehearsed and insincere. I just find her off-putting and fake.

I found it completely sincere, shows how easily people's vocal inflections and body language can be interpreted in many different ways! And please point to any evidence whatsoever that she's 'desperate' to win the Oscar, as everything I've read suggests the complete opposite - she's grateful to be nominated and would love to win (like anyone, so what's the problem with that?) but there's no desperation whatsoever.

Of course the Oscar holds more weight, but she's won almost every award going so far this awards season, so it wouldn't be too presumptuous for her to at least think a bit about what she'll say if she wins. She doesn't seem the type to become a Halle Berry-esque emotional wreck - I think she's more likely to give the Helen Mirren/Reese Witherspoon type of fairly calm speech than the Kate Winslet/Penelope Cruz blubbing.

She's far from my favourite actress, in fact Les Mis is only the 2nd thing I've liked her in (the Devil Wears Prada being the other), so I'm not a huge fan jumping to her defence regardless, I just can't see her being accused of desperation and insincerity and not comment, as I've seen nothing to suggest that whatsoever.
    What? Best female performance? But shes barely in the film lol

Best Supporting Actress, which has no minimum screentime requirement. There's no such thing as Best female performance at the Oscars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it completely sincere, shows how easily people's vocal inflections and body language can be interpreted in many different ways! And please point to any evidence whatsoever that she's 'desperate' to win the Oscar, as everything I've read suggests the complete opposite - she's grateful to be nominated and would love to win (like anyone, so what's the problem with that?) but there's no desperation whatsoever.

Of course the Oscar holds more weight, but she's won almost every award going so far this awards season, so it wouldn't be too presumptuous for her to at least think a bit about what she'll say if she wins. She doesn't seem the type to become a Halle Berry-esque emotional wreck - I think she's more likely to give the Helen Mirren/Reese Witherspoon type of fairly calm speech than the Kate Winslet/Penelope Cruz blubbing.

She's far from my favourite actress, in fact Les Mis is only the 2nd thing I've liked her in (the Devil Wears Prada being the other), so I'm not a huge fan jumping to her defence regardless, I just can't see her being accused of desperation and insincerity and not comment, as I've seen nothing to suggest that whatsoever.

The whole "a weapon against self doubt" line was just awful. It's almost as if she needs these awards as a way to validate her acting and reassure herself. She just seems far too desperate to please people. Then there's her need to try and be funny all the time when she's blatantly not.

Each to their own I guess.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Best Supporting Actress, which has no minimum screentime requirement. There's no such thing as Best female performance at the Oscars.

Exactly. Judi Dench and Beatrice Straight have both won for shorter roles, and Judi Dench's case a less important role. I don't with screentime matters, it's what the actor does with it, if anything it's even more impressive to make such a big impact in such little time.