Should Dune be adapted ala GOT style?

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the success of the Game of Thrones in adapting a complex long running story arc, would it possible now to have the Dune series adapted for TV?

The Plot in the books is very similar to GOT but with a sci-fi slant.

Comments

• kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was already done in a way with the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries a few years back. Those shows were pretty good, but yes, a longer series and bigger budget would do the books better justice.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of parallels between Dune and GOT. Warring houses and political intrigue are a factor of both and Dany's story is very similar to that of Paul. The last heir of a family escapes death, has prophetic visions and is seen by many as the fulfilment of a prophecy!
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    There have already been both film and TV adaptations of Dune. Seeing TV ploughing over the same ground is something I really don't want to see. Let's try something different.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    There have already been both film and TV adaptations of Dune. Seeing TV ploughing over the same ground is something I really don't want to see. Let's try something different.

How about adapting one of the other interesting novels
    Frank Herbert wrote?
    "The Dragon in the Sea", (Submarine) "The Santaroga Barrier" (mysterious town) or "Whipping Star" (villainess threatens galaxy ) always struck me as potentially interesting miniseries material.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    How about adapting one of the other interesting novels
    Frank Herbert wrote?
    "The Dragon in the Sea", (Submarine) "The Santaroga Barrier" (mysterious town) or "Whipping Star" (villainess threatens galaxy ) always struck me as potentially interesting miniseries material.

Sure. No idea what those novels are like, but like I said above, I am all for TV exploring new territory -- or in this case, adapting source material that hasn't been adapted before.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    The miniseries a few years ago was awful. While GoT might have the odd exciting episode I find some the series a really bore to watch.

Some books shouldn't be filmed as they'll never do justice to the authors works.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBO version of Dune sounds yummy.
    Forum Member
    The miniseries a few years ago was awful.

I disagree- I liked both "Dune" and "Children of Dune"
    (the latter was excellent, the best adaptation
    of Herbert's work). I was a little disappointed their plans to try and film all the Dune books didn't go ahead- perhaps they thought "God Emperor of Dune" was too dark for TV.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the latter books (God Emperor through to Chapterhouse) and the Herbert/Anderson sequels and prequels would probably work better GoT-style than the original trilogy. Plus you've got political intrigue and battles; murders and assassinations; religion and gods; intriguing dwarfs; and young female characters with dominion over powerful creatures ;)

Has anyone else played the GoT-Dune recasting game?
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »

I’d love to see The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant get the GoT treatment.
    Not sure how feasible it would be seeing as what an unsympathetic character Covenant is, especially at the start.
    Forum Member
    The Novel "The Snow Queen" by Joan D. Vinge is very influenced by Frank Herbert- maybe
    producers looking for epic sci-fi could try adapting TSQ.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elric is long overdue

i would love to see that done
  • pon farrpon farr Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Would absolutely love to see the Dune series re-imagined with a big budget, also another series of books I think would work are the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dune has been done already with those shows...10 years ago?
    Lots of other series out there should be done before coming back to Dune. (FOUNDATION! FOUNDATION!)
    Forum Member
    A decent adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's "Earthsea" books, not that horrendous "Legend of Earthsea" BS that aired a few years ago.
    Oh, and don't change Ged's (Polynesian-like) and
    Vetch's (black) ethnicities to white to appeal to Middle American
    prejudices. :mad:
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decent adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's "Earthsea" books, not that horrendous "Legend of Earthsea" BS that aired a few years ago.
    Oh, and don't change Ged's (Polynesian-like) and
    Vetch's (black) ethnicities to white to appeal to Middle American
    prejudices
    . :mad:

This is what has spoiled previous adaptations of Dune. The portrayal of the Fremen should be accomplished with actors and actresses of middle eastern origin. Otherwise it just lacks authenticity.

The space guild in David lynch's film was how I imagined them (about the only thing he got right), but the Sardaukar and the general casting left much to be desired.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    I think the latter books (God Emperor through to Chapterhouse) and the Herbert/Anderson sequels and prequels would probably work better GoT-style than the original trilogy. Plus you've got political intrigue and battles; murders and assassinations; religion and gods; intriguing dwarfs; and young female characters with dominion over powerful creatures ;)

Has anyone else played the GoT-Dune recasting game?

Anderson's sequels can go to hell. Brian Herbert's first mistake was allowing a grossly incompetent writer such as Kevin J. Anderson anywhere near his father's work. The second was thinking he could do it justice.

God Emperor of Dune is my personal favourite of the series. The GoT style of narrative would be appropriate for Dune and Children of Dune, though I believe Dune Messiah and especially God Emperor of Dune requires a different method of exposition. I often liken God Emperor of Dune to the film Apocalypse Now. Any adaptation should consider multiple narrators and add stories that were alluded to, but weren't explicitly in those books.

The following is a review of God Emperor of Dune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlRcYU8o9aM

aperson22222 comment touches on the complexity of the central theme.
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    This is what has spoiled previous adaptations of Dune. The portrayal of the Fremen should be accomplished with actors and actresses of middle eastern origin. Otherwise it just lacks authenticity.

The space guild in David lynch's film was how I imagined them (about the only thing he got right), but the Sardaukar and the general casting left much to be desired.

She's not Middle Eastern, but I always thought
    Keisha Castle-Hughes from "Whale Rider" would make a great Chani.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »

Lynch's film wasn't in any sense a bad film, just a decidedly idiosyncratic interpretation of the book. I quite liked the film (it was shown again a couple of months ago on the Horror channel) but it certainly didn't coincide with my imagined interpretation of the film.

I really don't like Hollywood remakes because they are generally worse than the originals:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/