Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Didn't know how well Celebrity Juice repeated. On Saturday night on ITV2 at 10:20pm it got 726,000, 3rd highest digital rating just behind BGMT and Foyle's War. Thursday CJ got 921,000, so 726k for a repeat is unusually high when the episode itself when it was new was less than 200k higher.

Is 558,000 for Tatau on BBC3 good?

The repeat was on straight after BGMT which got 1.65m so that probably boosted it. The BGMT repeat yesterday at 7pm got another 761,000/3.7% so that's really good.

BGT also rated well. The late night Saturday repeat got 436,000/4.8% and then yesterday's 5.35pm repeat got 698,000/3.9%. Impressive stuff.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Find out why the success of BBC One's Poldark is great news for ITV:

http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/MipTV-ITV-reaps-global-rewards-from-BBC1-hit-Poldark_nid-5312.html
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Indian Summers slumped to a miserable 0.79m (3.3%) for its penultimate episode of this series. It was easily beaten by Channel 5's film premiere Olympus Has Fallen (1.27m/6.5%).

Although Indian Summers timeshift is doing OK, that's close to being an unmitigated disaster- 3.5m checked out the first episode overnight so you can't blame the viewers for avoiding C4 drama- Unfortunately, a large majority have abandoned it- Series 2 is going to be absolutely painful, as the likes of Musketeers have shown, once the viewers are gone, they aint coming back- The only saving grace they have is that it might sell abroad but its still a hard sell seeing how hard its collapsed
  • Options
    robbazarobbaza Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Some ridiculous scheduling by the Beeb next week.Masterchef on one and a new series with Alex polizza on two,searching for head chefs.some days it's even on the same time as Masterchef.couldnt they have held this back for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BREAKING NEWS

I'm hearing via the EPG that for the first time since launching in 2006, The One Show is not the most tedious programme airing on BBC One in the 7pm hour this evening.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Which seems to be the way ITV are going. Their ratings and shares for their own channels are down and falling but they make money out of acquisitions/studio production etc
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Which seems to be the way ITV are going. Their ratings and shares for their own channels are down and falling but they make money out of acquisitions/studio production etc

It's more about business for ITV than ratings these days. They don't give a shut as long as they make a profit. Great for shareholders, rubbish for viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    On that point and whilst I remember, here are the channel shares for March via www.barb.co.uk published earlier this afternoon. Equivalent month last year in brackets:

BBC One: 23.2% (22.6%)
    BBC Two: 5.4% (5.7%)
    ITV: 14.8% (15.5%)
    C4: 5.8% (5.6%)
    C5: 4.2% (4.3%)

And a look at some of the main digital channels:

BBC Three: 1.1% (1.4%)
    BBC Four: 0.9% (0.9%)
    BBC News: 1.1% (1.3%)
    ITV2: 2.0% (2.4%)
    ITV3: 2.3% (2.3%)
    ITV4: 1.0% (1.1%)
    E4: 1.9% (1.9%)
    Film4: 1.3% (1.4%)
    More4: 1.3% (1.4%)
    5USA: 1.1% (1.0%)
    Comedy Central: 0.5% (0.5%)
    Sky1: 1.1% (1.1%)
    Sky News: 0.8% (1.0%)

Interesting to see what a poor month it was for BBC Three. The channel already winding down somewhat I take it ?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew BBC News and Sky News were that close. Always thought Sky was only getting 1/3 of what BBC News gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    I never knew BBC News and Sky News were that close. Always thought Sky was only getting 1/3 of what BBC News gets.
    To be honest I hadn't realised until now how well Sky News has been doing of late either.

I seem to recall it being rooted at 0.6 for a good while. Not sure where the recent improvement has come from but 0.8 seems rather high for what was a fairly ordinary news month IIRC.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]Could Newzoids be a spitting image or a mistake to spit at for ITV and will The Delivery Man deliver the goods? Will the election debate poll a similar audience on BBC One as it did on ITV? Could the first Formula One race of the season on free-to-air television speed away with the viewers and who will score highly in the matches between the Madrid clubs and Arsenal/Reading? Which show will win through between Inside Harley Street and Skint? Will Banished finish on a high? Could Ice Rink on the Estate skate off with a large audience and will The X Men be First Class?

Why not have a go at the DS Ratings Prediction Game? Just click[/highlight] HERE[highlight], left click quote, delete the quote marks and get prediciting!

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes part.

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    To be honest I hadn't realised until now how well Sky News has been doing of late either.

I seem to recall it being rooted at 0.6 for a good while. Not sure where the recent improvement has come from but 0.8 seems rather high for what was a fairly ordinary news month IIRC.

I would think the repeat half hours on BBC News hurt it badly, ie Click over repeated, the travel show, and the 15 minute movies show. Sky are live more of the time, Victoria Derbyshire should help them increase ratings.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky must be delighted by the Derbyshire show:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Have you actually watched it? I thought it was the best thing on last week when I had a few days off, the reports on dementia and trafficking were most interesting and set the news agenda for the day.

I think Sky are delighted that ITV shows J Vile.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, they are now the only choice for rolling news during the busy morning period

BBC News cut short an important Labour press conference featuring an ex PM last week to move back onto their pre scheduled agenda setting topic.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think ITV are beginning to worry about their soaps at last. They seem to have finally realised that they can use Corrie to boost ED ratings. They have started showing a short clip of the next episode of ED as soon as the credits roll on Corrie and are doing the same for Corrie after ED to encourage people not to switch over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Indeed, they are now the only choice for rolling news during the busy morning period

BBC News cut short an important Labour press conference featuring an ex PM last week to move back onto their pre scheduled agenda setting topic.

I saw on one listing today that the 10-11 a.m. sequence is also being carried on 5Live which seems completely unnecessary although it is obviously just a radio programme on TV.But I agree with Andy 23, Sky is now the place to be in the morning. I wonder what hold Derbyshire has on the BBC News hierarchy, I guess she knows where the bodies are buried.....
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Have you actually watched it? I thought it was the best thing on last week when I had a few days off, the reports on dementia and trafficking were most interesting and set the news agenda for the day.

I think Sky are delighted that ITV shows J Vile.

I have watched it is awful and so is she,absolutely no warmth and very arrogant.The first figures that came out for last week showed the BBC news channel lost most of its viewers between 9 and 11, and SKY gained them.They are just trying to attract the female audience but that is already catered well for with Matthew Wright and This Morning.
    Mind you it does have "lovely films" she tells us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, they are now the only choice for rolling news during the busy morning period.
    If it's a choice between Derbyshire and Murnaghan I think I'd rather get my news fix in the mornings via the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw on one listing today that the 10-11 a.m. sequence is also being carried on 5Live which seems completely unnecessary although it is obviously just a radio programme on TV.But I agree with Andy 23, Sky is now the place to be in the morning. I wonder what hold Derbyshire has on the BBC News hierarchy, I guess she knows where the bodies are buried.....
    It's a bold move and one I think will pay off.
    northlad wrote: »
    I have watched it is awful and so is she,absolutely no warmth and very arrogant.The first figures that came out for last week showed the BBC news channel lost most of its viewers between 9 and 11, and SKY gained them.They are just trying to attract the female audience but that is already catered well for with Matthew Wright and This Morning.
    Mind you it does have "lovely films" she tells us.

I disagree she showed lots of warmth and compassion on the dementia stories last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a choice between Derbyshire and Murnaghan I think I'd rather get my news fix in the mornings via the internet.

Well she said the test of her success would be whether the audience rose or fell....I think we have the answer.But why do people (who presumably have never met her) dislike her so intensely in the way they seem to dislike Kay Burley ?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I think ITV are beginning to worry about their soaps at last. They seem to have finally realised that they can use Corrie to boost ED ratings. They have started showing a short clip of the next episode of ED as soon as the credits roll on Corrie and are doing the same for Corrie after ED to encourage people not to switch over.

Well its only about 2 years late !!! ;-)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The rolling news audience is very limited these days with the internet, Which is why BBC News are trying new things to bring in a audience. Also good timing for them that the Ed Miliband speech was at 11am this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Didn't know how well Celebrity Juice repeated. On Saturday night on ITV2 at 10:20pm it got 726,000, 3rd highest digital rating just behind BGMT and Foyle's War. Thursday CJ got 921,000, so 726k for a repeat is unusually high when the episode itself when it was new was less than 200k higher.

I suppose for digital channels, repeats aren't always really repeats in the way they would be on the main channels, particularly when the repeat showing is in a slot almost as good as the original showing. Both slots almost have the same importance. I tend to watch CJ on Saturdays as it fits better with what I'm watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rolling news audience is very limited these days with the internet, Which is why BBC News are trying new things to bring in a audience. Also good timing for them that the Ed Miliband speech was at 11am this morning.

Well the rolling news audience is always very limited unless something massive is happening, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing it. I'm not sure what 'the Internet' has to do with it. The BBC News website has existed for almost as long as the BBC News Channel has. Unless you are saying people are happy with just hearing a half baked 1 line story on Twitter as their news source these days?
This discussion has been closed.