Options

Gordon's Alive? Vaughan in talks to do "Flash Gordon"

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matthew-vaughn-talks-direct-flash-788921

I loved "X-Men: First Class", so this might be promising.

I hope they have Prince Thun the Lion Man in this version- if GotG can do a talking raccoon, a talking Panthera leo is possible.

Also, I've just started reading the acclaimed "Flash Gordon" series by
Jeff Parker, Evan Shaner And Jordie Bellaire, and it's great. If they successful
adapted that comic to the screen, I think Vaughan could have a fine film
on his hands. :cool:

Comments

• Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching several other versions (US TV series, Filiation series, the original serials) I fear the 80s film was lightning caught in a bottle, but I wish him luck since it's one of my favourite films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »
    Watching several other versions (US TV series, Filiation series, the original serials) I fear the 80s film was lightning caught in a bottle, but I wish him luck since it's one of my favourite films.

But the original comic story is superb-it inspired George Lucas, Federico Fellini,
    Jack Kirby and many others with a huge influence on popular culture. And while
    I like the campy 1980 film, I believe it would be the wrong direction for the modern version- a new "Flash Gordon" should be more "Sam Raimi's Spiderman" and less
    "Lorenzo Semple Jr's Batman".

If I may be permitted to be self-indulgent ;-)- I'm a life-long Flash Gordon fan, and I have mentally cast a series of FG flicks based on the original Alex Raymond characters:

The Goodies

Charlie Hunnam as Flash Gordon

Alison Brie as Dale Arden

Michael Stuhlbarg as Dr. Hans Zarkov

Karen GIllian as Princess Aura

Luke Evans as Prince Barin of Arboria

Idris Elda as King Thun of the Lion Men

Brendan Gleeson as Prince Vultan of the Hawk Men

Katheryn Winnick as Queen Fria of Frigia

Naoko Mori as Queen Undina of Coralia

Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Queen Desira of Tropica

Saïd Taghmaoui as Gundar, the Desert Hawk

Ray Winstone as Ergon, Chief of the Power Men

The Baddies:

Charles Dance as Ming the Merciless

Vinnie Jones as King Kala of the Shark Men

Lotte Verbeek as Azura the Witch Queen

Peter Dinklage as King Orax of the Fire People

Michael Chiklis as Brazor of Tropica
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to know Mike Hodges, director of the much-loved movie version. Nice man, fantastic director (Terminal Man and Get Carter to name but two) and boy, does he have some tales to tell!
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles Dance as Ming the Merciless

I think Giancarlo Esposito would make a good Ming based on his work in Breaking Bad.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vaughan regular Mark Strong is a shoo-in for Ming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Vaughan regular Mark Strong is a shoo-in for Ming.

Strong was the villain Matai Shang in "John Carter"-not sure if he wants to play
    another alien supervillain named after an East Asian dynasty... ;)
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matthew-vaughn-talks-direct-flash-788921

I loved "X-Men: First Class", so this might be promising.

I hope they have Prince Thun the Lion Man in this version- if GotG can do a talking raccoon, a talking Panthera leo is possible.

Also, I've just started reading the acclaimed "Flash Gordon" series by
    Jeff Parker, Evan Shaner And Jordie Bellaire, and it's great. If they successful
    adapted that comic to the screen, I think Vaughan could have a fine film
    on his hands. :cool:

They could do a Marvel with this and do a shared universe with The Phantom, Mandrake / Lothar and leading up to a Defenders of the Earth movie.

That would be pretty sweet. There's a fan made trailer that's been doing the rounds on youtube for a while.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strong was the villain Matai Shang in "John Carter"-not sure if he wants to play
    another alien supervillain named after an East Asian dynasty... ;)

Another, in Green Lantern as Sinestro.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have an original idea about who or WHAT this version's ming the merciless is ..... and the motivations behind the actions ..... and no one would see it coming :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    theARE wrote: »
    They could do a Marvel with this and do a shared universe with The Phantom, Mandrake / Lothar and leading up to a Defenders of the Earth movie.

That would be pretty sweet. There's a fan made trailer that's been doing the rounds on youtube for a while.

I believe there are copyright problems with DOTE (it was a joint King Features Syndicate/Marvel production) so we won't see a movie. But Flash has teamed
    up with other KFS characters outside "Defenders", so if the Vaughn FG is success, a movie cross-over might be possible in the sequel.

As long as it's with a decent KFS character (imagine Flash meeting the
    Family Circus Kids or Barney Google :o:o ).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    i have an original idea about who or WHAT this version's ming the merciless is ..... and the motivations behind the actions ..... and no one would see it coming :D

Lemme guess. Ming wants to open an antiques shop in Cheltenham? :)

There are a few tweaks I believe the Flash Gordon story needs for the modern audience:

1) While Dale hasn't been a helpless damsel since the 1980s comic strips, that's still
    the popular image of her. Make her film version a sexy action heroine like
    Peggy Carter, Black Widow or Gamora. Or just a strong woman in general,
    like Maggie Gyllenhaal's Rachel Dawes or Amy Adams' Lois Lane (one of the few things I liked about "Man of Steel").

2) Ming shouldn't look like a 1930s "Yellow Peril" stereotype (especially with
    China and Japan being important markets for modern Hollywood ;-) )

Make him a scary Caucasian dictator with a moustache. I always thought a good modern take on Ming would be make him resemble a futuristic version of a 1930s dictator- imagine him looking like a Mussolini, Hitler, Franco or Stalin figure with rayguns and rocket ships.

3) The heroes land on Mongo-and its inhabitants all speak English? Ok,
    that might pass muster in 1936, but not now. Have Zarkov give Flash and Dale
    little hearing-aid sizes "universal translator" devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vaughn gives an interview to Yahoo! Movies here:

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/matthew-vaughn-confirms-kick-ass-prequel-and-121756128476.html

He says he wants to make two more "Kick-Ass" films and the "Kingsman" sequel,
    and says "maybe" about doing a "sci-fi". So I reckon this means any Vaughn
    "Flash Gordon" flick has been put on the long finger. :( A shame- nobody seems
    very enthusiastic about the idea of a "Kick-Ass" prequel.

Maybe we can coax Nicolas Roeg out of retirement to finally do his FG flick? ;)
    Granted, Debbie Harry's too old to play Princess Aura nowadays, but maybe we could go
    with (say) Paloma Faith instead.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vaughn gives an interview to Yahoo! Movies here:

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/matthew-vaughn-confirms-kick-ass-prequel-and-121756128476.html

He says he wants to make two more "Kick-Ass" films and the "Kingsman" sequel,
    and says "maybe" about doing a "sci-fi". So I reckon this means any Vaughn
    "Flash Gordon" flick has been put on the long finger. :( A shame- nobody seems
    very enthusiastic about the idea of a "Kick-Ass" prequel.

Maybe we can coax Nicolas Roeg out of retirement to finally do his FG flick? ;)
    Granted, Debbie Harry's too old to play Princess Aura nowadays, but maybe we could go
    with (say) Paloma Faith instead.

Surprised he wants to make more Kick Ass films, neither one actually made much money whereas Kingsman is easily the biggest hit of his career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Surprised he wants to make more Kick Ass films, neither one actually made much money whereas Kingsman is easily the biggest hit of his career.

Vaughn has a history of expressing interest in film projects only to move away
    from them-he was going to direct Marvel's "Thor" at one point, and also
    passed on "X-Men: Days of Future Past". I'm not surprised he's doing
    the "Kingsman" sequel, but I'm not sure why he also seems more
    interested in revisiting "Kick-Ass" than doing a new film.

I think since Twentieth Century Fox don't have the rights to co-produce new
    "Star Wars" films anymore, they are interested in a new space opera
    franchise-and "Flash Gordon" would fit the bill nicely. But for the moment, the
    nearest we'll get to seeing a new FG flick will probably be "Ted 2"....
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    This interpretation of Emperor Ming might be too down to earth for the coming film. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    This interpretation of Emperor Ming might be too down to earth for the coming film. ;)

Hah! Love it! "Throw him into the pit of eyes!" :-)

In the meantime, FG fans might enjoy this: an entertaining fan film by
    Disney Animator Rob Pratt, entitled "Flash Gordon Classic";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BChNOWus2-8

It's quite good. :cool: I think KFS and Fox should consider letting Rob make a full-blown
    Flash Gordon animated series (it could be a cross between "Clone Wars" and the
    old Filmation series).
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather see a film based on the space adventure of Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd rather see a film based on the space adventure of Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future

Nothing against Colonel Dare, but the character isn't well known outside
    Europe. I suspect any Dan Dare feature film would have to be produced in
    Britain.

As for the other member of the "Big Three" comic-strip astronauts, Buck Rogers...I believe the BR comic strip wasn't widely syndicated outside North America. So most people know about Buck either through the Glen A. Larson TV show (which I HATE >:( ) or the old 1930s serial.

By contrast, the Flash Gordon comic strip was syndicated to numerous countries,
    including most of Europe, Australasia, Latin America, Turkey and India. Not
    to mention the worldwide success of the 1930s serials and the (later)
    international cult success of the 1980 film. Flash Gordon is far better known worldwide than either Dan Dare or Buck Rogers, and hence he's the most likely of them to
    get a Hollywood remake.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I'm strangely excited and keen to watch this!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    And while I like the campy 1980 film, I believe it would be the wrong direction for the modern version- a new "Flash Gordon" should be more "Sam Raimi's Spiderman" and less "Lorenzo Semple Jr's Batman".
    You certainly have a point there.

Then again, would the fun, peppy tone of Guardians of the Galaxy be suitable for Flash? You can't get too serious with the likes of Emperor Ming of Mongo to contend with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You certainly have a point there.

Then again, would the fun, peppy tone of Guardians of the Galaxy be suitable for Flash? You can't get too serious with the likes of Emperor Ming of Mongo to contend with.

There's a point- does the baddie in any Flash Gordon movie have to be Ming?
    There's quite a few villains in the comic strips to choose from. And when
    George Lucas was thinking about doing a FG movie in the 70s, one of his
    ideas was leaving Ming out of it in favour of a different antagonist.

Not every Batman film has him pitted against the Joker, nor does every Star Trek film
    have Kirk & co. facing off against Khan Noonien Singh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan Gleeson as Prince Vultan of the Hawk Men

Got to be Brian Blessed...he is Vultan...he has the Royal Seal of Approval!

https://thejohnfleming.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/gordons-alive-brian-blessed-from-doctor-who-to-flash-gordon-to-taking-a-real-life-rocket-into-space/
    “I was at Buckingham Palace last year at the Christmas Concert – because I’m famous – and the Queen came up and said: You know, we watch Flash Gordon all the time, me and the grandchildren, It’s a wonderful film. Would you mind saying ‘Gordon’s alive’?

“So I shouted Gordon’s alive!!!! for her…

“Thank you so much, she said, very politely.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vaughn is definitely the man for the job, the 79 Flash Gordon is a camp classic, I prefer it to any of the Star Wars movies nowadays
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Vaughn is definitely the man for the job, the 79 Flash Gordon is a camp classic, I prefer it to any of the Star Wars movies nowadays

The reason George Lucas made Star Wars is that he could not get the rights to make a Flash Gordon film.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    So, Her Maj, Phil the Greek, and various royal offspring all sit down to enjoy Flash Gordon do they?

What a marvellous picture that paints.