Stars in your Eyes, cancelled, why are ITV sticking with H. Hill,

2»

Comments

• davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    What's dated about the format?

I'm puzzled at that one too. I'd have thought talent shows were pretty popular these days :)
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I'm puzzled at that one too. I'd have thought talent shows were pretty popular these days :)
    It is the emergence of the Simon Cowell high profile talent show formats that killed amateur shows like SITE. It was popular at a time there was almost no such thing on TV. Nor was it really a talent show. No winners went on to be stars in their own right. They all had their moment in the limelight and faded away. The music was dated too, for the most part.

So SITE was never going to work "straight". Not with a modern audience. Only fans of the original would watch. It needed to be a different take on the idea. I hated the original SITE but the Harry Hill version was at least watchable. It didn't take itself seriously and the way the contestants played along with the comedy background films was fun. No doubt the SITE fans view is they were forced into doing all that against their will by Harry Hill and ITV.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    So again H. Hill has a failed show, Stars in your Eyes, so why is ITV saying they find another show for him, maybe a afternoon talk show. he has had his day, he is now unfunny and boring.

What do you mean had his day, when was his day ? Iv'e always found him unfunny and boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 'again'?
    What other shows of his have failed on ITV?

A I have already said, he had a failed film and stage show, I did not say failed ITV shows, just failed shows. In the last year or so he had no success and I believe his comedy has had it's day.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So again H. Hill has a failed show, Stars in your Eyes, so why is ITV saying they find another show for him, maybe a afternoon talk show. he has had his day, he is now unfunny and boring.

To me, he always was - a typical case of the Emperor's New Clothes.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Hill is still funny. His humour isn't to everyone's taste of course. The original Stars in Their Eyes was quite bland and unchallenging so it's not surprising Harry Hill might not appeal to fans of it.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Harry Hill's Dancing On Ice would be well...
    should be Dancing On Thin Ice, literally as well as figuratively. Which celebrity will we lose forever this week (to the cold cold depths)
    Or Stars In Their Eyes, Piano Overhead - crushing disappointment awaits the biggest music criminal of the week
    If Anton can get away with 'Bring on the wall', why not
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    It is the emergence of the Simon Cowell high profile talent show formats that killed amateur shows like SITE. It was popular at a time there was almost no such thing on TV. Nor was it really a talent show. No winners went on to be stars in their own right. They all had their moment in the limelight and faded away. The music was dated too, for the most part.

So SITE was never going to work "straight". Not with a modern audience. Only fans of the original would watch. It needed to be a different take on the idea. I hated the original SITE but the Harry Hill version was at least watchable. It didn't take itself seriously and the way the contestants played along with the comedy background films was fun. No doubt the SITE fans view is they were forced into doing all that against their will by Harry Hill and ITV.

I'm also thinking in terms of the presentation, the acts, the whole format. The repeats on Challenge prove that it worked back in the day, not now.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The problem ITV has had with Chiles, Bleakley, Lynam, Reid, Bradbury et al is that they bought them from the BBC expecting hordes of viewers to follow and in fact none did. Viewers also resented the huge sums of money ITV were apparently paying some of these presenters, ITV had to rush out a statement denying Reid was on £1 million a year for instance.

you can add Jonathan Ross to that distinguished list
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    What's dated about the format?
    The lack of a prize, for starters.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I know Schofield was on BBC kids TV but perhaps you could remind me which BBC shows the others came from ?
    Holly did Xchange, X-perimental, and CBBC at the Fame Academy. Eamonn did National Lottery Jet Set. Ruth did the breakfast show on BBC London radio, but is not known for any BBC TV shows.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the wrong type of show for Harry Hill.

Harry Hill needs to present a show where he is the focal point, not a show where he is just basically a presenter.
    BIB - exactly the main reason why it failed.
    kelvo wrote: »
    Well, probably no surprise that Stars In Their Eyes has been cancelled as it was utter shite, and unfortunately the blame lay entirely in the hands of ITV who thought Harry Hill was the right person for the show. Bring back proper SITE.

It's not just Harry Hill though, ITV do seem to get these people and then don't seem to know what to do with them - only have to look at Christine Bleakley and Adrian Chiles, thought they were the panacea to all their problems - and look what happened there...
    And this is another reason. ITV have got this habit that they are trying to farm out their signed people onto any other ITV programme/show/etc. Look how Phil Scholefield is put out to host multiple programmes, and Holly Williloby (sp?). It wouldn't surprise me if they will try ot get Leigh Francis to do the weather soon or get someone from one of their reality programmes to read the news. They just did the same with Harry; they should just leave him to do TV Burp and You've Been Framed.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A somewhat unfair and bias comment that.
    It’s not like he’s had a load of failed shows on ITV, just 1 – ‘Stars In Their Eyes’ (and maybe 2 if you want to go back almost 15 years to the All New Harry Hill Show). Yes, he’s had other failures in his career, but ITV didn’t have an invested interest in them so why should that overly concern them?
    And as for why would ITV want to find another show for him? Because ‘TV Burp’ was a rating success, for almost 10 years (not to mention You’ve Been Framed). Don’t you think that means ITV will want to have more than one attempt at trying to replicate its success?

Ant and Dec had two big budget failures in the last few years (Push the Button, Red or Black) but that didn’t stop ITV from signing a multi million pound deal with them, and understandably so.

It’s looking like Harry Hill’s next show might be ‘Harry Hill’s Tea Time’, a mix of a cooking show, chat show and TV Burp. I don’t know if it’ll be a success, but it sounds more like Harry Hill’s sort of thing that Stars in their Eyes was.
    I’ve said it before, but I think he’d be great doing a comedy celebrity panel show, like Celebrity Juice but for a more family audience.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry's at is best when he's just commenting on the week's TV clips - like he used to in the early days of TV Burp (before he started incorporating juvenile, studio- based 'comedy' sketches).
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Has Eamonn done the lottery? He must have done.

Yes, he did the lottery for a while, including the famous time the stage was invaded by protesters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTnap4wfeM

He did a few Songs Of Praise as well in the last year or so.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Harry's at is best when he's just commenting on the week's TV clips - like he used to in the early days of TV Burp (before he started incorporating juvenile, studio- based 'comedy' sketches).

I agree. That for me was his high point.
    The earlier series of TV Burp were hilarious for me.
    But as you say, the series progressively decreased in quality as the years went by as he started introducing more and more stupid and unfunny self-indulgent nonsense, such as that Wagner baby or whatever it was, at the expense of TV clips which became fewer and fewer.
    I watched it for the TV clips, not all the other bollocks he started replacing them with.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. That for me was his high point.
    The earlier series of TV Burp were hilarious for me.
    But as you say, the series progressively decreased in quality as the years went by as he started introducing more and more stupid and unfunny self-indulgent nonsense, such as that Wagner baby or whatever it was, at the expense of TV clips which became fewer and fewer.
    I watched it for the TV clips, not all the other bollocks he started replacing them with.

I agree. I did find the early days of TV burp funny as he seems to be at his best when doing commentary on tv clips or home videos but leaves out all the other nonsense. The problem with SITE for me, was the contestants were obviously very serious but he had them taking part in stupid sketches. After they had finished their act, some were quite emotional and Harry hill comes running on and hands them a giant pencil or whatever it was. the programme should have been about the contestants but instead it was about Harry hill.