Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Collide only had a lot of hype cus it was so different for Leona at the time i think. It wasn't a ballad, it was a novelty and it was more in line with the tastes and sounds of the time so i think the press went a bit mad.

Also most of troubles hype came from when it was heard early on and was (apparently) quite different.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    volume3d wrote: »
    Trouble had a lot of hype months before release, mostly from that Dean Piper guy (or girl) after hearing it in Syco offices....I don't really know what he heard because Trouble is a flop :)

Cant remember Collide hype but I remember my WFT reaction after premiere

But then again you like songs like shake it off so what would you know about quality music :cool:
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I still think Collide is one of her best songs. It's so fun!
  • Options
    pokerfaceLelepokerfaceLele Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, Collide was a great summer tune and I loved the variety of remixes that were out there. The beginning of the era was so much fun (actually one of my favourite eras), the fans had a great summer together. By the end of August 2011 things got worse though, because of the whole controversy :(.
    My favourite performance of the song was the one on Red and Black. I also like the one from G.A.Y. 2011, but the chorus wasn't fully live.
  • Options
    volume3dvolume3d Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    But then again you like songs like shake it off so what would you know about quality music :cool:

Taylor Swift's song? Blank Space is 10000x better ... and fyi Collide&Trouble are not critically acclaimed songs :) they are just commercial forgotten flops :cool:

Trouble needs to be erased from Leona's setlists....forever :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I only really like the Cahill and Afrojack remixes. The structure of the original is too odd to get into and I don't like the 'you're all I want..' part.
  • Options
    esesohsamesesohsam Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People seem to be getting mixed up on here... Collide was a horrific mess, Trouble is a masterpiece, Bleeding Love is incomparable!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor Swift's song? Blank Space is 10000x better ... and fyi Collide&Trouble are not critically acclaimed songs :) they are just commercial forgotten flops :cool:

Trouble needs to be erased from Leona's setlists....forever :)

But that's the thing you base your opinion on stuff like that or on commercial success. There's alot of unknown songs that are miles better than Taylor and which are not critically acclaimed. :)
  • Options
    kokoskokos Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is so bland and the lyrics are so cliche + the video.... :blush: Collide is not masterpiece lyrical wise either, but love the vibe of that song and don't forget about the vocals :cool: With songs like that, it doesn't really matter what the lyrics are about anyways, the instrumental sells the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's the thing you base your opinion on stuff like that or on commercial success. There's alot of unknown songs that are miles better than Taylor and which are not critically acclaimed. :)

and Collide&Trouble...... dont know why you mention taylor, I'm not even her fan....she's ok, doing her thing....BS is a huge hit :)

you seem to dislike a lot of popular people, Iggy for example :) If the song is good I don't care who's performing it and I don't care if its cheesy commercial uptempo or slowest critically acclaimed ballad...good song is a good song :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and Collide&Trouble...... dont know why you mentioned taylor, I'm not even her fan....she's ok, doing her thing....BS is a huge hit :)

you seem to dislike a lot of popular people, Iggy for example :) If the song is good I don't care who's performing it and I don't care if its cheesy commercial uptempo or slowest critically acclaimed ballad...good song is a good song :)
    That's my whole point, you like songs just because it's popular and call whatever underperforms a "flop"

I mentioned Taylor because last time you dragged me for not liking Shake It Off. Iggy is shit. You seem to like commercial crap over quality music :)
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Glassheart being at 90k, slay! Maybe the new album will push it to Gold.

90K isn't actually bad for a flop album. A lot of people recently have a done a lot worse despite a lot of exposure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my whole point, you like songs just because it's popular and call whatever underperforms a "flop"

I mentioned Taylor because last time you dragged me for not liking Shake It Off. Iggy is shit. You seem to like commercial crap over quality music :)

what is 'quality music' ?:)

Leona is not really know as 'quality' and 'critically acclaimed' artist .... her voice is quality but material not really....this album needs to change that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I only really like the Cahill and Afrojack remixes. The structure of the original is too odd to get into and I don't like the 'you're all I want..' part.

I love the "You're all I want" part! Haha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is 'quality music' ?:)

Leona is not really know as 'quality' and 'critically acclaimed' artist .... her voice is quality but material not really....this album needs to change that

Exactly, only when she's critically acclaimed you'll jump the bandwagon and call it quality. Just because she's not critically acclaimed doesn't it make any less of good quality. Not saying every song she's done is good quality though. But Trouble is not a "flop" on that matter.

Either way, doesn't matter what you like. As long as you enjoy it I guess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, only when she's critically acclaimed you'll jump the bandwagon and call it quality. Just because she's not critically acclaimed doesn't it make any less of good quality. Not saying every song she's done is good quality though. But Trouble is not a "flop" on that matter.

I'd say Trouble was a flop. It bombed down the charts :/

But deciding you like something based on acclaim is silly, so I agree with everything else Soeplepel :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Did Spin play the interview today? If so is there a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Emma_B3 wrote: »
    Did Spin play the interview today? If so is there a link?

Yesterday! No links don't think :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But deciding you like something based on acclaim is silly, so I agree with everything else Soeplepel :P

It did flop :p but the song isn't a flop if you know what I mean :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It did flop :p but the song isn't a flop if you know what I mean :p

Ah right! Yeah, sorry, I agree I agree! :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm on this bandwagon since 2007 :)
    Trouble was a megaflop :) its not even my opinion, its a fact....song had Xf performance and some other good promo slots and it disappeared from every chart in the world in 2 or 3 weeks.....sometimes commercial flops become 'viral' hits, people stream it on youtube or something....Trouble even 'flopped' in that, song was huge non event :) sometimes commercial flops get awards because they are quality songs - Trouble didn't get any :cool:

I'm not bothered by acclaim, it was just response to Soe because he keeps mentioning 'quality music' and keeps trashing Taylor and Iggy because they are not 'quality music' in his opinion of course :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on this bandwagon since 2007 :)
    Trouble was a megaflop :) its not even my opinion, its a fact....song had Xf performance and some other good promo slots and it disappeared from every chart in the world in 2 or 3 weeks.....sometimes commercial flops become 'viral' hits, people stream it on youtube or something....Trouble even 'flopped' in that, song was huge non event :) sometimes commercial flops get awards because they are quality songs - Trouble didn't get any :cool:

I'm not bothered by acclaim, it was just response to Soe because he keeps mentioning 'quality music' and keeps trashing Taylor and Iggy because they are not 'quality music' in his opinion of course :)
    I'm not talking about Trouble doing on the charts, but Trouble as a song. Just because it flopped on the charts doesn't make it a flop song. That's what I'm trying to get to you.

Iggy is a disgrace for rappers. Same for Nicki Minaj. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafW8NX3HEA I've never seen this before, what the hell happened?!? Coming in early on the piano, being completely out of tune at points? What she sick?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafW8NX3HEA I've never seen this before, what the hell happened?!? Coming in early on the piano, being completely out of tune at points? What she sick?

I thought you meant this performance as soon as I read "coming early on the piano"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3dVebhLC6Y :p

That XF performance was right after her tour, her voice was exhausted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not talking about Trouble doing on the charts, but Trouble as a song. Just because it flopped on the charts doesn't make it a flop song. That's what I'm trying to get to you.

Iggy is a disgrace for rappers. Same for Nicki Minaj. :)

Nicki Minaj is far from a disgrace. When she isn't being a fool writing stuff just for the sake of a hit, she' actually brilliant. Her verse on 'Monster' alone destroys almost every other rapper - male or female - out there. She's a great writer, too.
This discussion has been closed.