"Crap" players in good teams

pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
Forum Member
✭✭
Well it's mabe a bit OTT to say crap - as they can still perform well playing in a good team - but watching Dirk Kuyt run around in a good Holland team sort of brought it up. He's not crap, more of a hard worker, but it does seem silly seeing him play with far more naturally gifted players. Any other less-gifted players sping to mind who've played in great teams? Stephane Guivarch for France?

Comments

• TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirk Kuyt is a terrific player, terrible finisher most of the time but a very good footballer who is more important to the Dutch side than Van Persie or Sneijder who seem to be taking all the plaudits....in my opinion of course.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt is a terrific player, terrible finisher most of the time but a very good footballer who is more important to the Dutch side than Van Persie or Sneijder who seem to be taking all the plaudits....in my opinion of course.

Hear, hear!
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    Well it's mabe a bit OTT to say crap - as they can still perform well playing in a good team - but watching Dirk Kuyt run around in a good Holland team sort of brought it up. He's not crap, more of a hard worker, but it does seem silly seeing him play with far more naturally gifted players. Any other less-gifted players sping to mind who've played in great teams? Stephane Guivarch for France?

Guivarch is the standard by which all others should be judged. Useless player who has a WC winners medal.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    The Argentine goalkeeper, whatever his name is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Badstuber is/was a major weak point in the German side, but especially with Podolski on that side too, since Podolski isn't as diligent about tracking back. Boateng looks a lot more solid there.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Guivarch is the standard by which all others should be judged. Useless player who has a WC winners medal.

When Kleberson was at Utd every match that he came on for started with the phrase 'and here comes WC medal winner Kleberson'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badstuber is/was a major weak point in the German side, but especially with Podolski on that side too, since Podolski isn't as diligent about tracking back. Boateng looks a lot more solid there.

He defintely was tracking back and helping Boateng out in the Argentina game.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    When Kleberson was at Utd every match that he came on for started with the phrase 'and here comes WC medal winner Kleberson'

Wasn't he still in the Brazil WC squad for 2010? lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    at international level you would have to say Heskey. Even the Paraguay keeper has more goals than he does.

At club level Park, Nani and O'Shea spring to mind along with Phil Neville
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Dirk Kuyt is a decent hard working player you know what you will get from him 100% commitment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    sherer wrote: »
    at international level you would have to say Heskey. Even the Paraguay keeper has more goals than he does.

At club level Park, Nani and O'Shea spring to mind along with Phil Neville

I'd say all 5 of those players named are cracking players. Park is probably one of the most underated players in the Prem League.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    Wasn't he still in the Brazil WC squad for 2010? lol

He certainly was!!! At first I thought it was a wheelie bin but no it was Kleberson.

It shows how bad his football was I remember him more for being married to a 14 yr old!
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    The Argentine goalkeeper, whatever his name is.

Romero was awful I agree. I'll throw another Argentinian in, Gutierrez.:D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona:

Busquets; sure, his diving will get us a couple of free kicks but it does get embarrassing after a while.

And Abidal; someone buy him & take him off ours hands...PLEASE!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member

Agreed, Dirk's certainly talented, but he's not one of those "star" players with amazing amounts of natural skill (although can occasionally score a brilliant goal, of course). But he gives it is all and powered by Duracells. :D

Perhaps you need those workhorse players in a great team to balance out the naturally very gifted players, who have a habit of being a bit lazy at times.
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Barcelona:

Busquets; sure, his diving will get us a couple of free kicks but it does get embarrassing after a while.

And Abidal; someone buy him & take him off ours hands...PLEASE!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly about Busquets - he's clumsy, gives the ball away too much and his dives are absolutely ridiculous - Abidal's not that bad when Henry isn't playing, but when he is it seems that Eric's under orders to run up his *rse and pass every ball to him and he loses his head.

I hope someone buys Abidal and Henry - and if Ibra departs too, I won't be crying - it's not that he's not a very good footballer, he just doesn't seem to fit in very well at Barca!

Oh, and as for Dirk Kuyt - I wish we had someone like him at Sunderland!
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Didn't Barca agree a deal with Henry last week to cancel his contract?
  • wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon you're both being a bit hard on Busquets considering his age !
    He's played well for Spain in the World Cup games , IMHO .

He's playing in a very important position in the team and coping well . He shows great skill at times ,slides some nice through balls into the forwards and puts his foot in when required .

What more can he do ?
    I think he gets bad press just because of the one infamous incident .
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wsmansem wrote: »
    I reckon you're both being a bit hard on Busquets considering his age !

He's been playing for years despite his young age. Loyalty to his father is the main reason Barca have stuck with him (and will continue to do imo).
    He's played well for Spain in the World Cup games , IMHO .

He's playing in a very important position in the team and coping well . He shows great skill at times ,slides some nice through balls into the forwards and puts his foot in when required .

I agree. He's not been bad at the WC. Although he still has been going down way too easily.
    I think he gets bad press just because of the one infamous incident .

It's not just one incident though. Every single game he plays he goes down when he doesnt need to.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm unsure as to the perimeters of the discussion.

Are we asking for crap signings made by good sides or players who weren't very good who succeeded thanks to the team they were signed to being successful?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, Dirk's certainly talented, but he's not one of those "star" players with amazing amounts of natural skill (although can occasionally score a brilliant goal, of course). But he gives it is all and powered by Duracells. :D

Perhaps you need those workhorse players in a great team to balance out the naturally very gifted players, who have a habit of being a bit lazy at times.

Bearing in mind the performances of most of the 'superstars' lately , I'd have 10 Dirks ( and someone to actually put the ball in the net a bit more often ) rather than the so called 'stars'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    heskey(if were still aloud to call england good)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Dangerman wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the performances of most of the 'superstars' lately , I'd have 10 Dirks ( and someone to actually put the ball in the net a bit more often ) rather than the so called 'stars'

Fair enough, but it hasn't been a total dearth of performance when it comes to the "stars" this World Cup. Villa's been up to scratch, and I thought Robinho was starting hit the gears for Brazil before they crashed out (in spite of him being a unwilling, under performing sod at Man City, of course).
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Whys it silly? Sily is having all so called naturally gifted players. Didnt you see Argentina :rolleyes:

Agreed :confused: another who thinks a team needs all stars, Argentina, England, all stars and get nowhere, hard workers in teams like Holland, Germany semi's and counting.
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    :confused: Whys it silly? Sily is having all so called naturally gifted players. Didnt you see Argentina :rolleyes:.

Ha ha, Maradona is a joke - at the end he had Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Pastore and Aguero all getting in each other's way and running round in a panic like in a school yard just before the bell goes. :D

Funniest thing I've seen for ages, I just wish I could have seen some of the English people who were proclaiming to support Argentina at that moment! :p