Options

Why hate Channel 5?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it is a better channel than ITV1 for a start. At least they don't feel the need to clog the schedules with soaps until 9.00 and their daytime offerings like The Wright Stuff is vastly better than clapped out This Morning. Of the good stuff on Channel 5, I recommend their American imports like NCIS, their cricket highlights show, the classic films they show, the afternoon TV movies, Fifth Gear, Ice Road Truckers and The Gadget Show.

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think it is a better channel than ITV1 for a start. At least they don't feel the need to clog the schedules with soaps until 9.00 and their daytime offerings like The Wright Stuff is vastly better than clapped out This Morning.

The Wright Stuff - Rude and egotistical presenter puts callers down and cuts them mid sentence while inflating his own ego.

The Jeremy Kyle Show - Rude and egotistical presenter puts guests down and cuts them mid sentence while inflating his own ego.

Can't see the difference myself apart from the fact Kyle gets more viewers than Wright and the same for the well established TM compared to Gabby Logan.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Well, for a start they decided to take off both Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order CI mid-series and replace them with shitty Big Brother and some banal show with Charlotte Church's ex ladyboy. No reason was given, they just took them off. Plus, even when they were on they showed the damned things in the wrong order.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why hate Channel 5? Because it is crap. ITV at least does some great drama like Appropriate Adult. Apart from crappy reality shows a lot of Channel 5's output is imports.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Well, for a start they decided to take off both Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order CI mid-series and replace them with shitty Big Brother and some banal show with Charlotte Church's ex ladyboy. No reason was given, they just took them off. Plus, even when they were on they showed the damned things in the wrong order.
    1) They did give a reason- on the Channel 5 website. And SVU is back in a couple of weeks, so it wasn't off air for that long.
    2) They don't need to be shown "in order", they are procedural dramas and the vast majority of episodes are self-contained. That said, according to DigiGuide they were both shown in order.
    3) The decision to take those programmes out of the schedule was in their best interest as they were struggling outside of their usual timeslots. More people will be able to watch them scheduled at more appropriate times after Big Brother has finished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why hate Channel 5? Because it is crap. ITV at least does some great drama like Appropriate Adult. Apart from crappy reality shows a lot of Channel 5's output is imports.
    The Mentalist (Thurs, 10pm, C5) is a great drama. Just because it isn't made in this country doesn't mean it's not worth watching.

Whilst Channel 5 are undeniably weak when it comes to UK scripted content, I don't think you can dismiss the whole channel on that basis.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The Mentalist (Thurs, 10pm, C5) is a great drama. Just because it isn't made in this country doesn't mean it's not worth watching.

Whilst Channel 5 are undeniably weak when it comes to UK scripted content, I don't think you can dismiss the whole channel on that basis.
    Yes i can. It is supposed to be a PSB channel but many satellite channels invest higher in homegrown programming than they do. The Mentalist would have been picked up by other channels if Channel 5 had not picked it up and lets look at the other US content shall we? All they really have is CSI and Law & Order: Criminal Intent/ SVU. And look at how badly they get treated now that crappy big brother is on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know Channel 5 is weak in drama and ITV still have some excellent drama hits, but you look at the diversity of the 5 schedule compared with ITV1 between 7 and 9 and there's far more variety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By "many satellite channels" you mean Sky owned channels, right? They are absolutely minted with cash as the leading pay TV operator and broadcaster. The same cannot be said for C5.

A fairer comparison would be C4. They spend over twice as much on programmes each year as C5, and yet C5 is closing the gap in the ratings. They do, to their credit, still broadcast a number of UK scripted shows a year. And obviously contribute significantly more than C5 in this area, which hasn't provided anything at all in this genre for a few years.

One of the main reasons why C5 doesn't do more homegrown drama is because it's very expensive and their budget is the smallest out of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky. Plus where they've tried in the past, they've either been dead on arrival, or started high and lost viewers throughout before ending on a low number. (i.e. Minder)

They do still invest heavily in UK produced shows, indeed the percentage of UK produced shows on C5 is higher than you might expect but I don't have the figures to hand right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ultimate coup for Channel 5 would be to gain the services of Simon Cowell.
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since its launch, Channel 5 was a joke, both in the broadcasting realm and for comedians. It did the right thing in 2002 to shed its old image and to try and go upmarket, with intriguing documentaries and original programming, however people never really forgot what it was like for those first 5 years.

Therefore, the reason I "hate" Channel 5 right now, is because the new owners are not interested in that kind of quality programming.

Don't get me wrong though, things started to go downhill before Desmond bought the station, however, with Live from Studio Five in 2009 which was just as bad as OK TV, the start of the showbiz documentaries (I am aware that is a contradiction in terms), and shows like the Going for Gold revival, Heads or Tails, and bringing in Natasha Kaplinsky to host a newly dumbed down news output.

That's why I'm saddened the new owner of Channel 5 is completely dedicated to continuing that streak of bad quality programming with his own brands. Any bets on when he'll sell it on?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTL had to go, Desmond has brought along some much needed cost cutting to bring the business into profit and new acquisitions such as Big Brother and The Bachelor have given the channel some much needed talking points for the Twitterati who happen to be the audience C5 need to attract advertisers.

They also have a regular strand of programmes that attract regular audiences outside BB, such as Hotel Inspector, Cowboy Builders, The Wright Stuff, Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers, Ice Road Truckers and the US crime imports.

On the other hand, there's still a lot of work to be done. The 11am slot against TM is never going to work, 5 News has been dumbed down more than I thought it ever could and will get worse once it moves back to ITN with the increased cuts of the new contract and OKTV while settling down is missing something. Maybe it's because it's scheduled against the BBC regional news bulletins or Hollyoaks on C4? Even moving it to 7pm would be a disaster as it'd be trounced by The One Show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never used to hate it until the Desmond papers started plugging the living shit out of it. Take a look in any Saturday magazine in the Express and you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the Wright stuff and gadget show but thats about it.

The only reason it is doing better is because of BB.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Channel 5 is weak in drama and ITV still have some excellent drama hits, but you look at the diversity of the 5 schedule compared with ITV1 between 7 and 9 and there's far more variety.

Why do you keep focussing between 7 and 9?

Your entire argument seems to be 'Channel 5 is better than ITV because ITV show a lot of soaps between 7 and 9 and Channel 5 doesn't' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    ITV 1=Crap
    Channel 5=Crap

I barely watch any programmes on either of them, just rubbish imports on five and poor British shows on ITV. Simply awful.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You make a good point about the 7.30 - 9pm slot as a non soap myself I do watch C5 from time to time but it is nowhere near as strong or as interesting as BBC2 & C5 unlike the other main channels do not have must see programmes in my option.
    All I seem to see on Five USA is Law & Order & CSI.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love C5. This channel gave me the chance to re-watch the entire run of Prisoner Cell Block H and Sons & Daughters.

They couldn't have cared less that these shows were knocking on for 20 years old (at the time I think) Good on them too. I have a long memory and will always be grateful that these two soaps from my child hood were re-shown (even if they were on at 4 am) :D
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's evenings are set to get better from next Saturday ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Why do you keep focussing between 7 and 9?

Your entire argument seems to be 'Channel 5 is better than ITV because ITV show a lot of soaps between 7 and 9 and Channel 5 doesn't' :rolleyes:

These are the peak hours. Channel 5 manages to fit in a diverse schedule while ITV1 seems to on Mondays and Fridays fills this schedule with soaps and poor factual programmes. Also their morning schedule is a lot fresher than the old drivel ITV1 and BBC One churn out.
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to the question of the thread.

Because it is full of sh1tty celebrity orientated programming and reality crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not true, although the news could be improved( maybe by making Ruth Liptrott less excitable).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon if I did a reasonable analysis of my viewing habits I'd find I watch about the same amount of several channels. And it's very little indeed. Not sure I could highlight C5 as being notably better or worse than any other channel.

I like CSI. I find Big Brother absolutely abhorrent. Other people will have different tastes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why hate C5?

Only Mentalist worth watching.
    Dodgy logo- (removed for adverts obviously).
    Popups.
    Terrible commentary when they show football.
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true, although the news could be improved( maybe by making Ruth Liptrott less excitable).

The news contract is going back to ITN, the current contract was torn up by mutual agreement apparently, C5 wanted a cheaper deal, Sky News don't like being associated with such a down market channel!
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.... as is ITV1 & 2 and countless other offerings on Sky - it's all a matter of opinion. At least it's not populated with an abundance of soaps that we are subjected to by ITV1 and increasingly BBC1 (EE). :yawn: