Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't a clue what's going on ... can someone simplify things and explain how it will affect Rangers? :confused:

Apologies for being so dim :o
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »
    Haven't a clue what's going on ... can someone simplify things and explain how it will affect Rangers? :confused:
    In essence, the fourth tier would be scrapped to expand the third tier to 18 teams. This means all 10 3rd Division teams will be "promoted" at the end of the season (although they'll still be in the bottom tier).
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,144
    Forum Member
    The plans are terrible, what everyone wants is there to be more teams in the Premier sharing more of the wealth and giving more teams a chance to get into the Premier.

What they are doing is a terrible way of letting wee teams play in the Premier by merging them in half way through a season.

Its laughable and a disgrace.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 12-12-18 is a far better proposal than 16-10-16. Its not perfect but its workable.
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,144
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I think 12-12-18 is a far better proposal than 16-10-16. Its not perfect but its workable.

They are both terrible ideas.

The 12 one is worse for me, as it doesnt affect Celtic. We'll still be almost the exact same as we are. For how much longer can we put up with playing the same teams 4 times a season? Although the 16 is 99.99% as bad as it would only have 30 games, so we'd lose 8 games a season which would also be a terrible idea.

Id rather have a 20 team Premier, like a Real League and only play 1 home and 1 away game against all the other teams to keep it refreshing and give more teams a chance ie. Dundee Utd to challange at the top dont need to play us 4 times a season.

It would make games more important by only having the 1 home or 1 away game against that team that season.

For me we need a bigger Premier and we need 38 games, the simplest way to do this is a 20 team Premier. The simple idea is always the best.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    would rather a bigger top division though the 12-12-18 would be acceptable if they dropped this split nonsense
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    14-14-14 with 3 up, 3 down between the divisions would've been ideal
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not an expert or anything but what's wrong with say like Portugal's league setup of 18 teams with a 34 game season then sort out the lower leagues accordingly or shall I just stay away from here cause I have no clue lol
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    I'm not an expert or anything but what's wrong with say like Portugal's league setup of 18 teams with a 34 game season then sort out the lower leagues accordingly or shall I just stay away from here cause I have no clue lol

I thought that would be good as well. Playing each other 3/4 times a year must be really boring for players and supporters alike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »
    They are both terrible ideas.

The 12 one is worse for me, as it doesnt affect Celtic. We'll still be almost the exact same as we are. For how much longer can we put up with playing the same teams 4 times a season? Although the 16 is 99.99% as bad as it would only have 30 games, so we'd lose 8 games a season which would also be a terrible idea.

Id rather have a 20 team Premier, like a Real League and only play 1 home and 1 away game against all the other teams to keep it refreshing and give more teams a chance ie. Dundee Utd to challange at the top dont need to play us 4 times a season.

It would make games more important by only having the 1 home or 1 away game against that team that season.

For me we need a bigger Premier and we need 38 games, the simplest way to do this is a 20 team Premier. The simple idea is always the best.

We clearly don't have enough teams of sufficient quality to sustain a league as big as 20 teams. For it to work you arguably need at least 30 teams of a decent standard (once you factor in promotion and relegation) which takes us down to the sides near the bottom of the Second Division. Any league where you have an absurd gulf in quality like that between the top sides and the bottom sides is completely unappealing for spectators.

The simplest idea is actually a 10 team league, but that was proposed already and everyone threw a hissy fit.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    would rather a bigger top division though the 12-12-18 would be acceptable if they dropped this split nonsense

44 league games is too many. For there to be no split it has to be 10 (36 games) or 18 (34 games).
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »

Apologies for being so dim :o

Sums you up in a Nutshell, now Jog On....
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sums you up in a Nutshell, now Jog On....

Someone watched The Football Factory before bed tonight. :D:D:D:D

Leigh Griffiths could be in a bit of trouble.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems strange though that Rangers can win the league this season and have the same reward that the bottom team in SFL 3 can get.

I agree they shouldn't be inline ahead of teams in SFL 2. Why not have some sort of playoffs though.

Just one other thing is the 12-12-18 structure planned to start next season. If so how does that affect relegation from SFL 1. Does Dumbarton end up in the national league, or the championship?
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    44 league games is too many. For there to be no split it has to be 10 (36 games) or 18 (34 games).

in that case 18 is the only way to go,
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UNLESS

the winners of the second and third division (that would be THE RANGERS or whatever) get promoted to the CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

that would leave the 18 teams from those leagues to form the NATIONAL LEAGUE
  • Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »

Leigh has since sincerely apologised and the guy has tweeted that it won't go any further and he takes it as banter! Obviously it's very serious and isn't banter and do not condone it in any way but think a line will be drawn under it.

There are so many arseholes constantly give LG abuse, some of it threatening.....it's all well and good saying he should be able to handle it as he's a pro footballer but it's like being bullied at school, one day you just snap or react heat of the moment.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Gets the violin out for Thumb]
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leigh has since sincerely apologised and the guy has tweeted that it won't go any further and he takes it as banter! Obviously it's very serious and isn't banter and do not condone it in any way but think a line will be drawn under it.

It isn't really up to the guy if it goes any further, that'll be a decision for the police to take.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Someone watched The Football Factory before bed tonight. :D:D:D:D

Awful movie :)
    Forum Member

There are so many arseholes constantly give LG abuse, some of it threatening.....it's all well and good saying he should be able to handle it as he's a pro footballer but it's like being bullied at school, one day you just snap or react heat of the moment.

lothian and borders police are investigating the tweet so leigh will probably be in a bit of bother
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regan is a hypocrite according to Alistair McCoist who himself is an expert on the subject - while Green will sue Uefa on the grounds of sex discrimination if anyone says no to Rangers playing elsewhere.

Also says Swansea and Cardiff should be kicked out of England if the Rangers cant play there.

Is it April 1st?
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Aberdeen wanting to play us on a Friday night, Dundee will have a run of eight games without playing on a Saturday.

Killie home - Sunday 27th Jan
    Hearts away - Wednesday 30th Jan
    Morton home - Sunday 3rd Feb
    Ross County home - Friday 8th Feb
    Aberdeen away - Friday 15th Feb
    Celtic away - Sunday 24th Feb (12.45)
    St Johnstone home - Wednesday 27th Feb
    St Mirren home - Tuesday 5th March
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    The other 9 teams won't notice any difference as this season already is effectively pointless for them.

It's just a smokescreen because you're not being fast tracked into the top division.

Nobody wants fast tracked into the top division so not sure where you are getting that load of hot air from. We have said from the start that we want to work up the leagues on our own merit.

Changing the rules and rushing in proposals that nobody seems to want is slightly suspicious though - it is just another slap in the face to all Rangers fans pure and simple and the paying public must be thinking enough is enough ...
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

The SPL clubs and their chairmen are trying to protect their own interests and want more games against the bigger clubs - this isn't about reconstruction it is about how big the pie is and how many people are going to get a slice of it ...

That is the sole reason why league reconstruction that the fans want has never got off the ground - it is self preservation that is holding us back.
This discussion has been closed.