Options

Unwanted Downs baby left with surrogate mother

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/01/baby-downs-syndrome-abandoned-thailand-australian-donations

What a dreadful story. I dont even know if I agree with surrogacy but whether you do or not, this poor child has now been abandoned by the potential parents. It sounds like the surrogate mother will keep the child.

Comments

• Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an awful story and so many ways of looking at it. Some very callous people in the world!
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would question their suitability as parents to the twin. I am also shocked they can legally do this. A disgusting abandonment of responsibility.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so sad. Is it the done thing these days to choose your baby? :mad: They shouldn't be allowed to keep the other baby as Anne says it does question their suitability. I hope this poor baby gets the loving upbringing he deserves.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope that these 'parents' are found and outed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11006524/Legal-situation-of-surrogacy-explained.html

Something I know very little about, surrogacy law. An article about the need for reform in light of this case. What a beautiful baby he is, this is heartbreaking.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story I read said they knew well in advance that the child had this condition and requested it be terminated, but the surrogate did not comply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    The story I read said they knew well in advance that the child had this condition and requested it be terminated, but the surrogate did not comply.

Where was that? Can you terminate one of a twin, I dont really know the science behind it.

If Im honest I dont really like the whole surrogacy and even IVF thing, there are so many children needing adoptive and foster parents but people want 'perfect' babies.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that as well but it still doesn't justify them essentially saying "fine, you deal with it".

but then I suppose if they'd gone through an official government agency in Australia instead of going to Thailand, there'd be more help and protection for everyone concerned.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it possible to terminate one of twins or did they want to terminate both?

I've not heard/read this anywhere. ('m not saying it's not correct).

Edit: See someone else has also read it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've just noticed there's a link to that story on the same page. I can't get it to work on here. It's the first story under related articles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11006524/Legal-situation-of-surrogacy-explained.html
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Australian laws aren't very strong then. In the UK you can't have a baby from abroad without having being checked out and approved by the UK adoption service, and then they have to have follow ups once you have the baby. This wouldn't happen here.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,269
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I do hope that these 'parents' are found and outed.

I'm sure they will be.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mother might have decided that she wasn't ready for being a mother after all. It could have been because of the baby having Down's Syndrome, but she might have decided that she couldn't cope with being a mother. If it was because of the baby's condition, that's a bit shallow and selfish.

Edit: Okay, have just found out that they did leave the baby with the surrogate mother because the child had Down's Syndrome. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The mother might have decided that she wasn't ready for being a mother after all. It could have been because of the baby having Down's Syndrome, but she might have decided that she couldn't cope with being a mother. If it was because of the baby's condition, that's a bit shallow and selfish. Edit: Okay, have just found out that they did leave the baby with the surrogate mother because the child had Down's Syndrome. Unbelievable.
    They also took the baby's twin :(
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It's so sad, I know 2 sets of twins where one died and the sadness and emptiness the other still feels now years later is heartbreaking. That poor boy will feel an emptiness as he gets older until he is reunited with his sister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    They also took the baby's twin :(

That makes this even worse. Just goes to show that love's conditional with some parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Where was that? Can you terminate one of a twin, I dont really know the science behind it.

If Im honest I dont really like the whole surrogacy and even IVF thing, there are so many children needing adoptive and foster parents but people want 'perfect' babies.

Or it could be that some women who can't conceive naturally might want a baby that shares their DNA. Some women that can't conceive naturally might want a baby that's part of them. It might not be about wanting a 'perfect baby'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to some of the other reports of this in Australia, this is not a case where the surrogates eggs were used, so this child is 100% the child of the Australians.

Why cant the parents financially support the child?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it could be that some women who can't conceive naturally might want a baby that shares their DNA. Some women that can't conceive naturally might want a baby that's part of them. It might not be about wanting a 'perfect baby'.

I understand that, but that is part of the 'perfection' that the child is 'theirs' biologically.

I realise its not a popular view in a society where we are told we can have everything we want, but if you cant have children naturally then I dont agree that we should create them unnaturally. By the way I notice that you focus on women not being able to conceive, I am talking about men and women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to say, I wish more babies were adopted.
  • Options
    JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad story. However I have the opposite of it to tell, and I will! I'm a learning disabilities nurse and,as such, often come across people with Down's. I had a former client who will be in his 50's now -his mum in her late 80's, if not 90's. She told me that when he was born, in the early 60's, it was a disaster and she cried for weeks wondering what to do with him. Then her MIL took her to the side and said 'this is how he is - are you going to get on with it or not?' At that point she decided 'Well, he's never going to be academic, I'll make sure he is well-mannered' And, boy, did she succeed in spades! He is freakin' charm on 2 legs! I took him once for a medical procedure and the nurse there,who possbily mistakenly took me for a sibling, looked up and said 'You are so lucky'.

She is right. I am lucky to have known this person. I feel sorry for those who have denied themselves such an opportunity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I understand that, but that is part of the 'perfection' that the child is 'theirs' biologically.

I realise its not a popular view in a society where we are told we can have everything we want, but if you cant have children naturally then I dont agree that we should create them unnaturally. By the way I notice that you focus on women not being able to conceive, I am talking about men and women.

Things in the world advance. IVF was probably created to allow women who couldn't conceive naturally to have children. I was focusing on women because it's the woman who has the sperm inside her when it develops into a baby.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's is sperm then surely the child is his. Therefore he should take care of it....whether personally or financially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things in the world advance. IVF was probably created to allow women who couldn't conceive naturally to have children. I was focusing on women because it's the woman who has the sperm inside her when it develops into a baby.

Of course, but I tend to feel that just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

Anyway, Im aware that Im in a total minority but it doesnt change my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    If it's is sperm then surely the child is his. Therefore he should take care of it....whether personally or financially.

Yes, if he had got someone pregnant and they had not wanted to terminate at his request, he would still be liable for financially supporting the child. How does this woman in Thailand enforce that though?